Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-30-2018, 05:45 AM   #1
scc

Default [Magical Styles] Stabilizing Skill Expansion

While this rule first appears in Thaumatology, Magical Styles is where we get a comprehensive list of Colleges and what skills may be used to stabilize spells from them, it's lacking in a couple of areas.

Most notably is Enchantment, where we are told to refer to section on Experimental Styles. The problem here is that the only one that really fits is Thaumatology and as a GM and really isn't a satisfying pick as it's something any good Mage will have at high level to begin with. Fortunately I have a solution here: make the skill whatever is need to craft the item being enchanted, with each skill needing it's own perk.

The other one is the Summon Demon spell, this spell is somewhat strangely a Necromancy spell, so the usual Stabilization Skill options don't really fit for it, and it's probably the one spell you WANT a Stabilization Skill for.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:01 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Magical Styles] Stabilizing Skill Expansion

Hidden Lore (Demons) is suggested in Magical Styles, and that's a good fit for managing demon summoning botches.

Summon Demon may properly belong in Gate magic, and some of the options given there are a good fit.

For enchantment spells, the enchantment "spell" itself may actually be the best option.

On page 4, I'd think that Alchemy and Hazardous materials (magical) are strong candidates for stabilizing enchantment failures. Hazardous materials makes you think of bubbling liquids you don't want to spill, but it could just as easily apply to complex half-finished spells that could blow up if you cross your legs at the wrong moment.

In most cases, you will use that skill primarily for stabilizing, so what you call it is mostly a matter of fluff. Hidden Lore probably works for almost everything, and Hazardous Materials is similarly broad.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

For stabilizing Summon Demon spells, if your setting is one where demons are legalistic and interested in making bargains with humans (signed in blood), I like Law (Demonic Contract) as the skill.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:35 PM   #4
dataweaver

…which suggests the possibility that in less legalistic settings, some sort of social skill (possibly with a specialization) might work.