Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 02-05-2022, 04:29 PM   #1
jonhy1996

Default Question about the turn players speak when someone is about to win the game

Hello,

Me and my friends have been playing more and more munchkin and there is a situation that arises most games. For example in a game with 3 players:

Player 1 is 9lvl and fighting with a monster he is beating, to win the game.

Both Player 2 and Player 3 have cards that can stop him. But player 2 doesn't play his cards because he want's player 3 to use his card so he can win in the next round.

Sometimes even, player 2 will lie and say he has nothing in hand, so player 3 uses his cards and, in the next round, player 2 wins, having kept his cards and forced player 3 to used them. This doesn't seem fair...
Is there a rule for this scenario? Because i didn't find anything that clarifies it. In which turn are they supposed to play?
jonhy1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:07 AM   #2
emigio

Default Re: Question about the turn players speak when someone is about to win the game

" This doesn't seem fair..." LOL
player 2 did nothing wrong (nice play from him)
emigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:52 AM   #3
Mr_Draco

Default Re: Question about the turn players speak when someone is about to win the game

Nope. What he did is perfectly legal game play wise. Though what he did is risky because what if player 3 didn't have anything that could stop him. Player 2 just handed player 1 the game. Also player 3 could just start calling player 2's bluff and say no. If you are willing to use under handed tactics like player 2 to win, we usually will gang up and make sure anyone else wins but you.

With my group, people like player 2 usually don't get invited back to play again.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:15 AM   #4
jonhy1996

Actually, I am really confused about how the game is supposed to be played... Whenever a game ends like this i feel something is missing from the rules.
To make my question clearer:

All 3 players are lvl 9 and 1st player is battling a monster for the win.

Let's say both 2nd and 3rd player have 1 card that can stop someone from winning and a monster in hand, and everyone knows that because they drew them face up recently.

If 2nd player stops 1st player, then 3rd player will be able to stop him and win. There are extremely few cards that 2nd player can have, that can defend against 3rd player, so in 90% of cases he will not win the next round, and 3rd player will win. So if he uses his card he loses almost certainly.

If 3rd player stops 1st player, then 2nd player will win, because 3rd player won't have any cards to stop him.

So no one has incentive to play his card to stop player 1 because the other player will win in the next turn. Shouldn't there be a rule that forces someone to use his card in this case, or at least have a priority on who should act first??
Old 02-15-2022, 11:27 AM   #5
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhy1996 View Post
Shouldn't there be a rule that forces someone to use his card in this case, or at least have a priority on who should act first??
Nope and having such a rule would totally not be fun to play with. Forcing players to play cards they don't want to play or wish to hold on to is a easy way to lose players and make sure the game stops being played. What do you want everyone to do? Play with their hands visible and only play the cards you want them to in the order you want them to be played? Sorry but you're too busy trying to micro-manage the game and control how everyone else plays and the decisions they make. If I sat down and you said these are the house rules, I would be standing back up and walking away because that is not fun at all.

Last edited by Mr_Draco; 02-15-2022 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:53 PM   #6
jonhy1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Nope and having such a rule would totally not be fun to play with. Forcing players to play cards they don't want to play or wish to hold on to is a easy way to lose players and make sure the game stops being played. What do you want everyone to do? Play with their hands visible and only play the cards you want them to in the order you want them to be played? Sorry but you're too busy trying to micro-manage the game and control how everyone else plays and the decisions they make. If I sat down and you said these are the house rules, I would be standing back up and walking away because that is not fun at all.
Then how should 2nd player respond? The way we play the game we ask each other if we have something to stop the winning player. Do you guys ask each other as well??

If 2nd player keeps quiet he wins, if he says he has something, he has to play it and most likely loses. Also it's not about other's always, many times it's me on this spot, I am the 2nd player, and i feel kinda guilty if i keep quiet about my cards and win, but this is the best strategy....

Last edited by jonhy1996; 02-15-2022 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-15-2022, 11:27 PM   #7
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhy1996 View Post
Then how should 2nd player respond? The way we play the game we ask each other if we have something to stop the winning player. Do you guys ask each other as well??
We go around and ask if they have anything they want to play. Whether they have anything to stop the player from winning is irrelevant. What is, is if they want to play the card or not. This way players can say "No I don't have anything I want to play." and not feel guilty about lying or feel like they are being forced to play a card.

Either way it's all a gamble. What if the 3rd player doesn't have anything to play and you pass? Then 1st player wins. What if the 3rd player wants the game to hurry and end so he says he doesn't have anything he wants to play. What if he doesn't want you specifically to win and doesn't care if anyone else wins.