Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-14-2019, 05:40 AM   #1
FuelDrop

Default Representing a large corporate empire

So for my high point game my character is spending downtime setting up a financial empire of shell corporations, businesses ect, which are going to be "donating" money to the church my character is setting up, with themselves as the priest.

It's not exactly wealth, because even though I technically have a ton of assets I cannot easily draw upon them.

I was thinking Patron, with a very high appearance rating, +50% special power (for the social and political influence I can wield through them, and +100% for equipment they can provide.

thoughts?
FuelDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Representing a large corporate empire

Is it a predictable amount of money, so many $ a month? If it is, you can call it Independent Income. That's what it was designed to represent. You either cannot or will not invade you capital; you just get the income.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:58 AM   #3
AlexanderHowl

If you control the companies, it is your wealth, not an Ally or Patron. Of course, it does not matter how you hide your wealth, it is up to your GM whether or not you keep access to it. In the contemporary era, a single dedicated hacker can rip apart the finances of a company (or an individual) if they are willing to pay the consequences, and criminal organizations are quite capable of doing the same if they smell profit. The only thing that having shell companies does is that it gives hackers (or criminal organizations) the ability to steal the companies from you, given that everything is done digitally in the contemporary era.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #4
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

This is likely a collection of advantages rather than just one. Patron typically operates in a limited capacity focused on your mission or job. If the character has money to throw around as they like, that's effectively Wealth. If the character has increased social clout in most or all circumstances, that's effectively Status. The character may also have Patron over and above those, but given the range and scope of what they're getting out of this deal, it sounds like a whole bundle of advantages, not just one.

By way of analogy: Bruce Wayne probably has the Wayne Corporation as a Patron. He gets to ransack their R&D, can use it as a political proxy, and so on. He also has cash to spare and personal social clout as an old-money scion of his wealthy family. And he knows talented people within the company he can use for various purposes: make gadgets, get information, and so on. This gives him Status and Wealth and probably Contacts in addition to the Patron-specific parts of his relationship with the corporation.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:09 AM   #5
FuelDrop

Awesome guys, thanks.
FuelDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
The Colonel

it's worth noting that having one person in charge of a corporation is quite cinematic - even the celebrity owner/founder/CEO tends to have to answer to a board "offscreen" in real life and a truly massive corporate empire is likely to be appropriately Byzantine in its higher reaches. Whilst there may be a single CEO with absolute day to day control, there will also be a CFO, CIO and suchlike, not to mention the shareholders (and I don't mean John B. Daytrader, I mean the big merchant banks that hold enough stock to fly the share price into the ground). The CEO may have the potential to do all sorts of things … but not for very long without the support of his peers.
In fact, a big enough conglomerate could well have problems telling its right hand what its left hand is doing in some circumstances - in RPG terms this can make for great plot potential.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:50 AM   #7
Black Leviathan

If you're the CEO of a conglomerate large enough that it owns a church and you essentially wrote the rules of how the corporation works then it's not a patron and there isn't a significant limitation on your Wealth or Corporate/religious rank or access to high-powered allies. There is a board and share-holders but unless you're throwing away massive assets of the corporation for obviously selfish pursuits you'll have minimal consequences.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #8
dcarson

Koch Industries is 110 billion and each of the two Koch brothers owns 42%. The other 16% is a trust for the family of a earlier partner. Sp you can have large companies with few stockholders.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote