Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-27-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
bluekitsune13

Default Does anyone else want more adventures like Master of Amulets?

I play most games solo, so that is what I like most about TFT. It lends itself to solitaire play very well. I've dabbled with the Microquests, and while they are fun, I really like the freeform nature of the Master of Amulets Quest. I like the fact that you traverse an entire map, and you can have random encounters like a video game. There are a few special encounters on the map, but for the most part you can play how you like. Is wish there were more in this style. Anybody else think so too?
bluekitsune13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
JLV

Default Re: Does anyone else want more adventures like Master of Amulets?

You should try Barbarian Prince! And yes, I would really enjoy some more like Orb Quest -- I like the way it was organized and the map system in it. Of course, Steve doesn't own Orb Quest, so we can't have that one, but the concept can be redone, and 35 years on down the line we have a lot more experience with these things!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:11 AM   #3
Jim Kane
Banned

I am all for seeing The Fantasy Trip expanded in the direction of sandbox campaign play for solo or group play.

As I said in another post, Guy touched on this in his most excellent GrailQuest programmed adventure. What I personally found most fascinating and fulfilling was the ability to "walk-around and explore" this piece of Arthurian Cidri; which Guy manufactured for us.

So, if it can be done for the equivalent of a "traveling gazetteer" for merry olde England, why could we not also have these MicroQuests based on (free of IP references):
  • REH's Hyboria (Low Fantasy Module)
  • ERB's Barsoom (Sci-Fi Fantasy Module)
  • JRRT's Middle Earth (High Fantasy Module)

There are *so many ways* to run with this product line concept.

Although it was completely outside of the scope and function of GrailQuest, *but* had Random Generation Tables for generating Geography, Topography, Natural and Man-made features, monuments, shrines, ruins, castles, villages, etc. - even with no programmed plot-encounters - a party of PCs could continue to wander through Guy's version of the Camelot country-side ad infinitim - only now, hex-crawling through any suggested landscape of general people and places, flora and fauna, and colored to nearly any author-specific locale and flavor; which the associated MicroQuest provided as extra GM tables.

If one removes the source material specific characters and plot lines - just as Hobbits became Halflings - you would have a very well defined, *but general*, lay-out of *any* fantasy world background (a sandbox) for PCs to play in... by the GM adding in the continuing details and drama.

So, if one takes that Hex-Crawl concept (Sandbox), AND, blends a programmed adventure - like GrailQuest - you could then play and complete the MicroQuest, *and then*, stay in that world - developing it with the provided random tables; as the GM picks up where Guy's work ended... and the PCs' story continues in that milieu.

Perhaps even a master text on "How to Hex Crawl for TFT" (In The Sandbox ?!?) could be assembled, and then after you had that, you would buy the specific MicroQuest - based on your group's favorite interest - and get not only the programmed adventure, *but also*, you would get the random generation tables for that specific part of Cidri, so play can continue on beyond the programmed adventure... with counters, of course ;-).

*Bottom Line* - Marry the MicroQuest programmed adventure to additional Hex Crawl random generation tables and charts - as one product.

This is what I would love to see developed more than anything else for the future of TFT.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
GlennDoren

I would love to see more programmed adventures along the lines of the microquests, barbarian prince, ambush!(!!!)... anything that creates a dynamic/intriguing solo play experience.

Again, I think an app would help make this affordable and more easily enable the element of surprise during an adventure.
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:51 AM   #5
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennDoren View Post
I would love to see more programmed adventures along the lines of the microquests, barbarian prince, ambush!(!!!)... anything that creates a dynamic/intriguing solo play experience.

Again, I think an app would help make this affordable and more easily enable the element of surprise during an adventure.
That's also good Glenn, but how could we get the maps and counters? Downloadable PDF?

JK
Old 07-27-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
I am all for seeing The Fantasy Trip expanded in the direction of sandbox campaign play for solo or group play.

As I said in another post, Guy touched on this in his most excellent GrailQuest programmed adventure. What I personally found most fascinating and fulfilling was the ability to "walk-around and explore" this piece of Arthurian Cidri; which Guy manufactured for us.

So, if it can be done for the equivalent of a "traveling gazetteer" for merry olde England, why could we not also have these MicroQuests based on (free of IP references):
  • REH's Hyboria (Low Fantasy Module)
  • ERB's Barsoom (Sci-Fi Fantasy Module)
  • JRRT's Middle Earth (High Fantasy Module)

There are *so many ways* to run with this product line concept.

Although it was completely outside of the scope and function of GrailQuest, *but* had Random Generation Tables for generating Geography, Topography, Natural and Man-made features, monuments, shrines, ruins, castles, villages, etc. - even with no programmed plot-encounters - a party of PCs could continue to wander through Guy's version of the Camelot country-side ad infinitim - only now, hex-crawling through any suggested landscape of general people and places, flora and fauna, and colored to nearly any author-specific locale and flavor; which the associated MicroQuest provided as extra GM tables.

If one removes the source material specific characters and plot lines - just as Hobbits became Halflings - you would have a very well defined, *but general*, lay-out of *any* fantasy world background (a sandbox) for PCs to play in... by the GM adding in the continuing details and drama.

So, if one takes that Hex-Crawl concept (Sandbox), AND, blends a programmed adventure - like GrailQuest - you could then play and complete the MicroQuest, *and then*, stay in that world - developing it with the provided random tables; as the GM picks up where Guy's work ended... and the PCs' story continues in that milieu.

Perhaps even a master text on "How to Hex Crawl for TFT" (In The Sandbox ?!?) could be assembled, and then after you had that, you would buy the specific MicroQuest - based on your group's favorite interest - and get not only the programmed adventure, *but also*, you would get the random generation tables for that specific part of Cidri, so play can continue on beyond the programmed adventure... with counters, of course ;-).

*Bottom Line* - Marry the MicroQuest programmed adventure to additional Hex Crawl random generation tables and charts - as one product.

This is what I would love to see developed more than anything else for the future of TFT.

JK
/\ THIS! /\ I can't think of a single thing that would do MORE for TFT than this kind of product. There are a LOT of people who would like to play RPGs that don't or can't for some reason, and most of those reasons revolve around the lack of other players/the distance to get to places where other players are. Plus, everyone just wants to play without the hassle of getting everyone together sometimes, or when everyone else is busy. This would be a wonderful addition, not only to TFT, but also to the entire Roleplaying hobby!
Old 07-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
Jim Kane
Banned

Well thanks for the vote of confidence JLV; let's hope Steve and Guy read this one.

JK
Old 07-27-2018, 01:44 PM   #8
The Wyzard

I want a module where the PCs have to stop an OGRE loose on Cidri.

Not a big humanoid with a club.

A fusion-powered artificially intelligent tank.

You could have an overland adventure on the OGRE playmat! You'd need a wizard to help you bust a way in. You could fight drone defenders in interior corridors and fight your way to the AI core. You could have a conversation like the one at the end of 2001.

It'd be great.

:D
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:49 PM   #9
JLV

I think that would be an interesting magazine article for Pyramid... Kind of a cross between Security Station and Death Test! Would you be interested in writing it up? ;-)
Old 07-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #10
The Wyzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I think that would be an interesting magazine article for Pyramid... Kind of a cross between Security Station and Death Test! Would you be interested in writing it up? ;-)
I've freelanced for Onyx Path before. I'm not suited to the work - it stresses me out more than my day job, and my day job is being a lawyer.

It's the sort of thing I'd write up for free and post to a forum without a second thought, but as soon as I'm expected to write something *good* I freeze up. It's not rational.

Anyway, I think the subtext of that kind of adventure would be "The Mnoren were not big on thinking through the consequences of their actions, and them coming back would not necessarily be good."
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote