Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 01-09-2018, 09:39 PM   #11
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: December 2, 2017: Triplanetary Kickstarter Delayed to January 2018!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I suspect the expense of printing it yourself in this case is probably prohibitive, since the erasable maps aren't going to be cheap (or even generally available) at a print shop.
If you are involving a print shop, instead of erasable maps you can have a pad of consumable maps made, or use off-the-shelf markable document protector.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #12
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

A big piece of acetate remains a very practical option if you are building your own solar system.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:18 PM   #13
Celjabba

Sadly, I no longer work in a printshop.
I still have my 2st ed Triplanetary , even if incomplete and damaged, I guess I can rig something to play.

But it would have been nice to be allowed to contribute to the rebirth.
And nicer not to have the [censored] "US only" taunt when we got the much awaited alert from Kickstarter.

Yes, I know that you added rather quickly a promise to set something up later for us second class customers.

Lets just hope it will get funded without international players (looking good right now !) and soon enough that I won't be away from internet for the short time it will be on W23.
I enjoy Triplanetary, I want this new edition since it has been announced !

Last edited by Celjabba; 01-10-2018 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Posting angry and before taking pain med is never a good idea.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #14
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
As I feared/expected, No shipping outside US... I used to like and respect SJG but they are making it difficult.
No comment to stay polite.

Edit : they added a FAQ ... seem it should, perhaps, be possible to get the game after all ...
Why they couldn't say it first, I have no idea.
Of course, non-US people will only get it if the US manage to fund it alone ...
The system does not allow you to add FAQ entries until _after_ the project has launched.

W23 preorders are open:

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/triplanetary
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:48 AM   #15
Celjabba

And bought !

Thanks for the explanation about the FAQ.
It would have been nice to put the text in the campaign from the start, so that when you check the long awaited KS, you don't get the "not for you" taunt. But I can understand.

Perhaps for the next time ... although it would be nice if you would get back to offering international options on KS.

W23 (as long as it exist) is a decent alternative, but you don't get
-bundle offers prices reduction.
-delayed payment. I had to pay now, not at the end of the KS.
-opportunity to relay the offer to friends or associations. I broadcasted this and the previous KS campaigns among fellow players, and I got at least 2 answers "look interesting, but ...". Creating a W23 account for participating in a KS is not something many will do.
-the happiness of helping contribute to a project you like.

Anyway, I complain but nevertheless, Thanks for making Triplanetary again !

Edit: As an aside, I also can appreciate that offering a KS option with shipping that amount to doubling the item price may be counter-productive as people unaware of shipping costs would likely complain...

Last edited by Celjabba; 01-12-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:31 AM   #16
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Perhaps for the next time ... although it would be nice if you would get back to offering international options on KS.

Edit: As an aside, I also can appreciate that offering a KS option with shipping that amount to doubling the item price may be counter-productive as people unaware of shipping costs would likely complain...
This is really the crux of it. When I did my own most recent product - and it's a book, not a game . . . games are far worse for shipping - the ONLY way I could really offer international product was to not ship the same book.

I had to make a separate print run through DriveThruRPG for my 20 or so international orders. These print in the UK, and so shipping to the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc was $5-8. To ship the books that should arrive today (my International backers already have their copies; my US backers will get 'em next week) would cost $30 for a book that was $20 retail.

International shipping is simply a dog's dinner and there's no way around it unless you move enough to deliver entire pallets from place to place. Even then it's no picnic.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #17
Celjabba

As I said, I understand completely the Business Logic. If they could muster a full pallet for Europe/Asia, it could be done, but the administrative cost is likely too much for such a small run.

But I also dislike paying about 120$ all included for a 45$ game :(

As I remarked on KS, it will probably appear on third parties websites later for more than retail but less than direct shipping, but it is a gamble I did not want to make. I did it for ODE and got it "as new" 3 month ago for slightly more than retail price but it took years of waiting and searching.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
As I remarked on KS, it will probably appear on third parties websites later for more than retail but less than direct shipping, but it is a gamble I did not want to make. I did it for ODE and got it "as new" 3 month ago for slightly more than retail price but it took years of waiting and searching.
In that case why not just buy retail? There aren't any stretch goals or anything. I thought about buying it retail to support the FLGS, but if everyone did that the KS would fail.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #19
Celjabba

Quote:
In that case why not just buy retail? There aren't any stretch goals or anything. I thought about buying it retail to support the FLGS, but if everyone did that the KS would fail.
Because it is highly unlikely to appear on retail anywhere close to me ?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:02 PM   #20
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
In that case why not just buy retail?
The games retail structure outside the USA is distinctly less robust than inside it. My local games shop exists, and has plenty of Munchkin, but getting Discworld RPG and Mars Attacks, after ordering them in advance of publication, required long waits, repeated visits and getting angry with them. There's only one games distributor in the UK, and they're less than painstaking about small-volume items. A very few places in the UK do their own imports, but they're all several hours travel away.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote