Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #41
malloyd

Default Re: Making Techniques Worthwhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
No GM should allow Technique Mastery with DWA because it makes no sense that someone would be better at attacking with one weapon than two.
If you actually read the technique, it is explicit that is buys off a penalty. So additional levels of DWA allow you to buy off larger penalties than -4. Since there aren't any, it's useless RAW, you don't even need to apply common sense.

But it is true that some stuff isn't worded in a way that prevents Technique Mastery from breaking it. It's not a perk that should be available freely for everything, it's much like Special Exercises or Cinematic Option, effectively guidelines for the GM to build a class of additional perks, not finished perks themselves.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #42
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
That is what I said.

1 General Perk per 25cp for of the character starting cost.
1 Combat Perk per 20cp put in combat skills.
1 Style Perk per 10cp in Style Skills
That doesn't sound right. My recollection from when I ran Salle d'Armes is that if you put 1 point into each of the required skills for a style, you get to buy the style perk, no matter how few skills that is. There are a few styles that have close to 10 skills, like kalaripayit or the style George Silver taught, but a lot of them have maybe two to four skills.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #43
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
That is what I said.

1 General Perk per 25cp for of the character starting cost.
1 Combat Perk per 20cp put in combat skills.
1 Style Perk per 10cp in Style Skills
Yes that is correct (except that apparently "combat perk", isn't a term-of-art despite its use in Power Ups 2), but what you said earlier isn't. You said a 150 point character could only have six perks total, and the style perks counted against that. The style perks not only don't count against that, but you can't use those perks for style perks (magical or martial arts) at all (although you can use them for perks that are included in styles but listed as general perks elsewhere).

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That doesn't sound right. My recollection from when I ran Salle d'Armes is that if you put 1 point into each of the required skills for a style, you get to buy the style perk, no matter how few skills that is. There are a few styles that have close to 10 skills, like kalaripayit or the style George Silver taught, but a lot of them have maybe two to four skills.
I think maybe you are confusing Style Familiarity with style perks? You can't buy all the style perks with just 1 point in each skill, Martial Arts is very clear about that.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-12-2018 at 09:37 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #44
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
You get a style familiarity perk when you buy into the style by putting a point in each core skill (which is why each style points cost is 1 per core skill +1 for the style familiarity perk)

That's the first perk you get and you have to get it to count as having the style, but having that familiarity perk means you can then get the others.

But its then 1 style perk per 10pts of CP spent on skills* not number of skills.

So if you brought Karate, Breath control and Judo all up to attribute +2 you'd have spent 36 cp and thus could buy 3 style perks

*and I thought points spent on Techs & advantages etc qualified as well, but may have been wrong.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 01-12-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:45 AM   #45
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
*and I thought points spent on Techs & advantages etc qualified as well, but may have been wrong.
Techniques count (Martial Arts p. 49). Power-Ups 2 says all points in a martial template count, but I really don't know what to do with this. It's vastly more generous than the style rules, and it makes using templates much better than making a character without one.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #46
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Techniques count (Martial Arts p. 49). Power-Ups 2 says all points in a martial template count, but I really don't know what to do with this. It's vastly more generous than the style rules, and it makes using templates much better than making a character without one.
Yeah I wouldn't allow all points in a template to count, since to me templates seem to be more a handy collection of things that could reasonably coincide for certain kinds of character

I think I've always played it as all points spent on the things in the specific write ups of the Martial Styles. The justification would be all those things are part of the Style you are learning and all go towards a deeper understanding that perks are born out of etc, etc

Last edited by Tomsdad; 01-12-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:37 AM   #47
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
The section on using techniques together is in Martial Arts (pg. 64)
Although it should be obvious that they stack anyway. If you have bought up both Mounted Shooting (Machine Guns) and Masked Shooting (Machine Guns) to the maximum, firing a vehicle mounted machine gun in MOPP gear ignores penalties for stability and for the gas mask. Having them not stack would mean that being on a vehicle somehow cancels out your training on shooting with MOPP gear or vice versa.

Quote:
There are also some limits on which Techniques qualify for Technique Mastery.
Which notably I would apply to both DWA and Counterattack, neither make much sense to me at higher than prerequisite, YMMV.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #48
AlexanderHowl

I completely agree with the idea that certain techniques should not qualify for Technique Mastery (Counterattack, DWA, Ground Fighting, Low Fighting, Mounted Combat, etc).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote