Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-22-2019, 05:48 AM   #11
Anders

Default Re: Looking for GM opinions on this matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
In these instances, for whatever reason you as the GM overlooked certain penalties or rules limiting those abilities (maybe you're tired, brain laps, maybe you don't know the rules), if there was another player at the table paying attention, and they're aware the rule is being overlooked or ruled incorrectly, would you want them to speak up and help get the ruling correctly, or would you rather they not say anything?
I would want them to speak up.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #12
Varyon

I'm with the general consensus here - I'd rather they speak up than stay silent, and the sooner the better. That said, if I opt to rule differently - in general or just in this particular instance - I expect players to respect that and let it go. As a player, I'm strongly inclined to speak up, but usually do so casually and tend to make it clear the GM is the one with the final say. If the GM makes a mistake that favors me, and I miss it, I'd rather another player speak up than not.

Arguments, of course, should be avoided like the plague. Briefly make your case, let the GM rule, and move on.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #13
Black Leviathan

I wouldn't want to be corrected in the middle of game. It would mess with the flow of what I'm doing. Tone of the objection wouldn't much matter. Once the dice have been rolled and the GM ruled for better or worse we have too much more game to deal with to go back to talk about a ruling.

If my player came to be after game with a ruling I missed I'd be grateful for their help. If I felt it was an impactful change I'd probably bring it up before we started the next game so the previous ruling didn't establish bad precedent.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #14
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I'm with the general consensus here - I'd rather they speak up than stay silent, and the sooner the better. That said, if I opt to rule differently - in general or just in this particular instance - I expect players to respect that and let it go. As a player, I'm strongly inclined to speak up, but usually do so casually and tend to make it clear the GM is the one with the final say. If the GM makes a mistake that favors me, and I miss it, I'd rather another player speak up than not.

Arguments, of course, should be avoided like the plague. Briefly make your case, let the GM rule, and move on.
I could've written this myself. Doubly so since I introduced all but one of my players to GURPS. If someone catches a mistake, I take that as a good sign that they're paying attention and learning the rules.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #15
GWJ

I repair my (and player's mistakes) if it's matter of just telling "oh, I forgot, you have 2 HP less than I told, my bad" on the following turn etc. But if things would go completely different way, I just saying the forgotten rule to everybody remember it, and not repair results. Of course there are exceptions... Especially if what was achieved, would be unachievable even with critical result. If it's achievable - I just assume he rolled a few points more on the dice.
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:35 PM   #16
Gnomasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
Once the dice have been rolled and the GM ruled for better or worse we have too much more game to deal with to go back to talk about a ruling.
I wouldn't like corrections just after the dice have been rolled, too, but before that – I'd be happy to be corrected. (This might be because I'm tired of my players not engaging enough to learn basic combat maneuvers, though). After the dice have been rolled, I'd like the player to speak up after the scene or after the game – to correct me, but without disturbing the flow of the game.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #17
Hide

So, are you the player or the GM?

You could talk to your GM later (could be days later, think about it), after the session ends.

Correcting a GM in the middle of the game should be avoided (especially when the "mistake" is benefiting the players). Besides wasting time, it makes your GM lose face and you lose face in front of other players, to say the least. Sometimes it could be part of the GM strategy "letting slip" things to make stuff more interesting, as someone has already pointed.

To me, these "mistakes" you describe are somewhat trivial. However, if any player or the GM do a game-breaking mistake (stuff needing retcon) then it would be appropriate to discuss it right away.

For example, when you are in a do or die situation and your GM makes an error calculating the super jump (and then you die). Or when you are the last member of that anti-terrorist unit, and get assailed by bandits with stun grenades while your GM insists that your "fit" advantage won't help you shaking the affliction, so your the last hope fades in TPK (LOL).
Old 10-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #18
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I'd rather they speak up, sooner rather than later.
And to note, I'm also fine with later, say if they reread the rules after the combat was over noticed a discrepancy.

Granted they'll be no retconning, but the error can be noted for avoidance in the future.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #19
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
And to note, I'm also fine with later, say if they reread the rules after the combat was over noticed a discrepancy.

Granted they'll be no retconning, but the error can be noted for avoidance in the future.
I personally prefer to wait till after the game. I may run three games these days, but they are all about 4 hours and you can't get much done if you're constantly reading the tea leaves for the most correct interpretation.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #20
cdm014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
another player jumps in and says,"Wait, it's supposed to be -4, not -2."
Since with GURPS the gm uses the parts they want and drops the rest, the generally correct protocol is to ASK "shouldn't it be X because Y?" and only if your GM doesn't mind it.

It kind of sounds like you're posting this because you tried correcting your GM and it led to a disagreement about the protocol in that game. If your GM and/or another player doesn't like you doing that then don't do it. Getting a few things wrong here and there won't affect the overall game play that much.
cdm014 is offline   Reply With Quote