Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-18-2023, 07:01 AM   #1
Bill_in_IN

Default XP Cost for Talents/Spells

Having been playing under the Legacy TFT system for about 1.5 years now, I propose a couple of ideas on the XP cost for talent/spell points. This way of spending XP is new in Legacy as compared to Classic TFT and, I do like it. However, I think that the cost is to high especially when you take into account that we aren't 20 years old and sitting in a game several times per week.

Here's an idea that may have already been discussed on this forum but I would toss it out anyway. Hopefully, it would REALLY promote character development through talents/spell learning. What do you all think?

Base the XP cost for talents on the IQ level of the talent. IQ 10 or below cost 200 XP per IQ point. IQ 11 and 12 talents cost 300 XP per point. IQ 13 and above cost 500 XP per point. This isn't too complicated but what I propose below is far more simple.

You could simply house rule all talent cost at 200 or 250 XP and be done with it. I think 200-250 XP per talent point is reasonable and it is close to mana point cost for a wizard. I stole a house rule from another GM where the first two talent points spent only cost 250 XP. That could just become the rule across the board and I would be fine with it. I'm not stingy with XP but I don't throw it out like candy either.

The end result will be PCs having to look at learning talents/spells earlier in their development as opposed to boosting attributes to 36 or 37 points before even attempting to learn more talents/spells. This aspect of character development will open up sooner and add more fun while not having to balance out play between new and higher attribute PCs.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 08:00 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: XP Cost for Talents/Spells

The big problem with the current system is that IQ is twice as valuable at creation vs advancement. Fix this by either giving each PC the same memory points at start (12 is plenty) or by granting a memory point worth of talents or spells each time IQ advances.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:31 PM   #3
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_IN View Post
You could simply house rule all talent cost at 200 or 250 XP and be done with it. I think 200-250 XP per talent point is reasonable and it is close to mana point cost for a wizard.
That seems easiest to me, Bill.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 02:45 PM   #4
hcobb

Legacy talents are already super cheap for wizards WRT Classic. I don't see the case for making them even less expensive.
Old 05-18-2023, 06:49 PM   #5
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
That seems easiest to me, Bill.
I was asked on discord how such a change achieved my goal of making characters more diverse via easier talent development. Quite frankly, the question made no sense. Perhaps, I didn't explain it very well.

I do like this aspect of Legacy TFT. I just think that it's too expensive in RAW.
Old 05-18-2023, 06:53 PM   #6
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Legacy talents are already super cheap for wizards WRT Classic. I don't see the case for making them even less expensive.
Double cost is not super cheap. You're being sarcastic, right?
Old 05-19-2023, 06:53 AM   #7
hcobb

Talents are really cheap for advanced characters. In Classic wizards dreaded learning talents while in Legacy the talents are much more cost effective and you don't have to raise IQ over 20 to get them. The adventure writers mostly haven't adapted to this when writing up their big bad wizard foes.

The issue I see is the mid-gap of characters forced to flip xp into dx for lack of better options until they hit 37 attributes.
Old 05-19-2023, 06:44 PM   #8
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Talents are really cheap for advanced characters. In Classic wizards dreaded learning talents while in Legacy the talents are much more cost effective and you don't have to raise IQ over 20 to get them. The adventure writers mostly haven't adapted to this when writing up their big bad wizard foes.

The issue I see is the mid-gap of characters forced to flip xp into dx for lack of better options until they hit 37 attributes.
Now, I'm following what you're saying. Some context was needed. Spells are super cheap for advanced characters.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:57 PM   #9
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_IN View Post
I do like this aspect of Legacy TFT. I just think that it's too expensive in RAW.
I like it too. IMO, the ability to earn talents independent of IQ increases is one of the few truly innovative changes that the LE rules made.

My own fix, however, depends on a more drastic revision. I didn't like how the game forced characters into two distinct phases of progression... build your stats until they get too expensive then switch to talents. I wanted the choice between stats and talents to stay (mostly) even at every stage of play. It's OK if both choices get more expensive as PCs advance - that's to be expected - the goal is simply to keep one option from significantly outpacing the other.

The other factor to consider, of course, is the rate at which XP is earned.
Old 05-19-2023, 10:47 PM   #10
Axly Suregrip

I do two things to adjust for the current XP system.

1) if a player increases IQ, then they get 1 "talent point". Or as Henry puts it, they get 500 XP for only talents/spells. This is significant increase and it fixes the problem of starting characters with high IQs getting unfair additional XP built in.

2) I am generous with the XP given. Yes you can lower the costs, or you can give more XP. Most game nights I give 75 XP, some times 100 XP. Plus, I look for giving bonus XP for one or two exception plays, actions, ideas, or even a lucky roll that made a big difference. The bonus is usually 50 or 75 more but can be from 25 to 100.
Axly Suregrip is online now   Reply With Quote