Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #191
Phantasm

Default Re: GURB- The Generic Unoriginal Roleplaying Blog

Have you considered expanding the Blaster and Laser Design article to cover Microwave, Neural, Sonic, Plasma, and Disintegrator weapons? (The end result does not have to be UT-compliant....)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:35 AM   #192
The_Ryujin

I'mmmmm back with some more warhead options, this time covering ways to increase the effectiveness of fragmentation damage.

https://gurb3d6.blogspot.com/2020/05...-frag-out.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Have you considered expanding the Blaster and Laser Design article to cover Microwave, Neural, Sonic, Plasma, and Disintegrator weapons? (The end result does not have to be UT-compliant....)
Whoops.... a little late >.>

Already have covered plasma weapons here, first real post... memories: http://gurb3d6.blogspot.com/2016/08/...energized.html

and here: http://gurb3d6.blogspot.com/2016/08/...-addendum.html

And yeah, I'll get to the others. In fact requests like that help bump ideas up on the queue list heh.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #193
The_Ryujin

Whaaat? Another post so soon?

https://gurb3d6.blogspot.com/2020/05...onverging.html

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
Old 06-06-2020, 11:40 AM   #194
The_Ryujin

There's never enough daka to go around so have some more. In this post I give you the BE^2-HV/380 20mm Autocannon, a high velocity cannon firing a swarm of angry bee armor piecing triplex rounds.

https://gurb3d6.blogspot.com/2020/06...stems-be2.html

Old 06-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #195
Ottriman

I will be following this thread. I am especially fond of the Energy Converging Armor, something I've had some trouble handling myself for a while. These simple measures seem like the easiest way to do it.
Ottriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:28 AM   #196
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottriman View Post
I will be following this thread. I am especially fond of the Energy Converging Armor, something I've had some trouble handling myself for a while. These simple measures seem like the easiest way to do it.
Thanks man, glad my posts were of help!

Old 06-13-2020, 12:56 PM   #197
The_Ryujin

Who wants the BOOM?! I bring in the BOOM! So your pew-pews can make bigger BOOMS!

Old 06-13-2020, 02:02 PM   #198
Ottriman

My solution would've just been to make the bullets explode for the right amount of damage, but this is rather creative.

(I also mostly just make game mechanics that fit what I want without caring much about the hard science, and so do my players).

Eight point-blank flechettes is basically a shotgun.... bullet. Pretty neat.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #199
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottriman View Post
My solution would've just been to make the bullets explode for the right amount of damage, but this is rather creative.

(I also mostly just make game mechanics that fit what I want without caring much about the hard science, and so do my players).

Eight point-blank flechettes is basically a shotgun.... bullet. Pretty neat.
Yeah, the idea behind a lot of my work is what would be something cool that a PC would want his grubby little fingers on while keeping some degree of plausibility. I also like coming up with designations for my hardware. Military designations (especially US ones) just have this beautiful irony of having names that try to be technical sounding but at the same time seem like they were written by a 10 year old trying to be cool heh. Sadly I wasn't able to make it work a themed pun like with my last post (being a Bee-Hive that shot APIS, apis is Latin for bee).

Now of course your approach also works. Honestly no matter how realistic your try to make stuff for an RPG it's never going to be 100%. Even with computers since simulated models aren't a 100% either (as one doctor of GURPS ballistics would say, "All models are wrong, some or simply more useful then others."), we simply do not understand enough of how reality even works for that.

No matter how you do things, what matters is everything stays consistent.

You could make a B movie ray gun that does linear damage but so long as you do something like note that 5d worth of ray gun damage weighs 5lbs and a c cell powers 20 5d shots and have everything scales off of that base idea so that you don't have someone pick up a 3d, 3lbs ray gun that some does 6d worth of damage for no reason other then you picked random numbers out of a hat it's all good.

Old 06-14-2020, 03:02 AM   #200
Ottriman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
Yeah, the idea behind a lot of my work is what would be something cool that a PC would want his grubby little fingers on while keeping some degree of plausibility. I also like coming up with designations for my hardware. Military designations (especially US ones) just have this beautiful irony of having names that try to be technical sounding but at the same time seem like they were written by a 10 year old trying to be cool heh. Sadly I wasn't able to make it work a themed pun like with my last post (being a Bee-Hive that shot APIS, apis is Latin for bee).

Now of course your approach also works. Honestly no matter how realistic your try to make stuff for an RPG it's never going to be 100%. Even with computers since simulated models aren't a 100% either (as one doctor of GURPS ballistics would say, "All models are wrong, some or simply more useful then others."), we simply do not understand enough of how reality even works for that.

No matter how you do things, what matters is everything stays consistent.

You could make a B movie ray gun that does linear damage but so long as you do something like note that 5d worth of ray gun damage weighs 5lbs and a c cell powers 20 5d shots and have everything scales off of that base idea so that you don't have someone pick up a 3d, 3lbs ray gun that some does 6d worth of damage for no reason other then you picked random numbers out of a hat it's all good.
Yeah this is what I eventually ended up figuring out and just using. I used to model things in terms of simulation models but it was just so much work. At the point I switched, I could come up with arbitrary stats that still fit a basic levle of expected consistency quite well.

Tags
blog, blogs, gurps day