Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-26-2009, 06:55 AM   #1
nerdvana

Default [Spaceships] Lifesupport (or lack there of)

If a species didn't need life support (like the Memer and Saret, frex) how would you handle the costs/effects for building spaceships?
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
GoldenH

Default Re: [Spaceships] Lifesupport (or lack there of)

Just don't put any Habitats on. I'd use Open Space instead if I needed living space. Even if they don't need a ship at all, its nice to have somewhere to be while it's accelerating, jumping, or getting shot at.
GoldenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

You don't need pressurization, but your stuff might.
Or slaves, or cargo.
I forget; what are they powered by if no air and food?
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Fish

Cabin space is denser than open space, I feel; open space is just a big empty volume of air with only a limited amount of ground to stand on. I'd probably go with four bunks per cabin, at 2/3 cost — assuming the need for air pressure, minimal temperature, radiation shielding, and energy (for lights, if for nothing else) but not for water, food, or fresh air circulation.

Why air pressure? For one, to conduct sound; for two, to help dissipate and/or regulate heat from equipment and electronics.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Cabin space is denser than open space, I feel; open space is just a big empty volume of air with only a limited amount of ground to stand on. I'd probably go with four bunks per cabin, at 2/3 cost — assuming the need for air pressure, minimal temperature, radiation shielding, and energy (for lights, if for nothing else) but not for water, food, or fresh air circulation.

Why air pressure? For one, to conduct sound; for two, to help dissipate and/or regulate heat from equipment and electronics.
I didn't get a chance to talk about the species much (they are in GURPS Aliens, btw and converted by Ericbsmith I believe to GURPS 4, I'll try to find that...) but they are blind in visible light, have vaccum support and can survive in nearly 0K temps.... so little of that is needed. I'm working on an idea for reducing the cost of cabins for them. :)
Old 08-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
I didn't get a chance to talk about the species much (they are in GURPS Aliens, btw and converted by Ericbsmith I believe to GURPS 4, I'll try to find that...) but they are blind in visible light, have vaccum support and can survive in nearly 0K temps.... so little of that is needed. I'm working on an idea for reducing the cost of cabins for them. :)
If they're that hardy, they can use cargo bays as cabins.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
Fish

Quote:
The aliens don't need that — but does the equipment? A ship of any size is going to need repair facilities, basic shielding from interference and radiation, power conduits, fire suppression, all that good stuff.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
If a species didn't need life support (like the Memer and Saret, frex) how would you handle the costs/effects for building spaceships?
Assuming they like cabins but don't need air or water recycling, with No Life Support design switch in SS 7: Strange and Alien Spacecraft.

(First draft done, going to playtest soon.)
Old 08-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
Assuming they like cabins but don't need air or water recycling, with No Life Support design switch in SS 7: Strange and Alien Spacecraft.

(First draft done, going to playtest soon.)
I wish I could join in on playtests. :)
Old 04-24-2011, 05:30 AM   #10
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
This thread necromancy is being done because now that I have a copy of Spaceships 7: Divergent and Paranormal Tech I was trying to find this switch, I can't find it in either the index or a read though but I know I may have missed it. Can someone point me to it or did it get lost during the play testing?

Tags
aliens, life support, pulver responses, rev. pee kitty, spaceships