Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
Dalillama

Default [Low-Tech] Boating vs Shiphandling

What is the cutoff between the Boating (Sailboat) and Shiphandling skills? In Low-Tech, vessels up to the size of the 50' brig are listed as using Boating (Sailboat), but in LTC 3 the 30' dhow and fishing junk are both listed as using Shiphandling. I had supposed that Boating pretty much only applied to vessels that one could at least theoretically singlehand, and Shiphandling/Crewman was needed for vessels that need a multi-person crew, but this appears to not be the case, since there's no way that one person can run a 50' brig, for instance.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:10 AM   #2
gruundehn

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Boating vs Shiphandling

I think the cutoff is not the size of the vessel but crew. If it requires a crew it requires shiphandling.
Whoops: Just noticed your comment about the brig. Maybe it is the size of the crew?
Old 10-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #3
Humabout

You might check this thread. I think there was a discussion or something in there.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
Dalillama

That thread appears to initially agree with me, gruundehn and LTC3, and then bogs down into a wrangle about what skill would be used specifically to be the helmsman of a ship run with Shiphandling (I'd call it Seamanship, personally).
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
Ulzgoroth

My theory would be that the skill for the brig is in error.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
That thread appears to initially agree with me, gruundehn and LTC3, and then bogs down into a wrangle about what skill would be used specifically to be the helmsman of a ship run with Shiphandling (I'd call it Seamanship, personally).
Isn't that explicit in the rules?
Old 10-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Well, threads usually bog down in some minutia or another. I was pretty sure some sort of distinction was made before it got totally threadjacked into the never never.

My own feeling has always been that Boating is for individual boathandling, and Shiphandling was for managing a crew. I'd go so far as to say that LT is in error with regard to a Brig, unless one can be feasibly sailed by one person (I'm not sailor of any sort). But that's where I draw the line in the game at any rate.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:59 AM   #7
Phil Masters

I will just say that any interpretation that requires the cox of a rowing eight to take Shiphandling skill jars with me very badly for aesthetic reasons...
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:07 AM   #8
gruundehn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
I will just say that any interpretation that requires the cox of a rowing eight to take Shiphandling skill jars with me very badly for aesthetic reasons...
Never paid that much attention to rowing crews, does the cox of a rowing 8 steer or is that race just straight line?
Old 10-17-2014, 04:23 AM   #9
Anders

Quote:
He could take Sports (Rowing) and get a reasonable default to "real" rowing skills.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
True for me, too. I take "boat" to mean all sorts of small craft, not just craft that one person can handle.

The brig in LT is debatable; at best it's at the upper end of anything that could be handled with Boating, and there's a fair case that it ought to require Shiphandling and Seamanship. There does seem to be a plausible zone of overlap, where big boats may sometimes be bigger than the smallest ships. It's a matter not of absolute size but of the organization of work.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
low-tech, low-tech companion 3, skills