Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #11
jacobmuller

Default Re: [Spaceships] Lifesupport (or lack there of)

nearest I can see is Magical Life Support, page 9. If you have magic life support, you don't need life support equipment and each Habitat gets double cabin space. No Life Support = Cabins x 2?
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #12
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
nearest I can see is Magical Life Support, page 9. If you have magic life support, you don't need life support equipment and each Habitat gets double cabin space. No Life Support = Cabins x 2?
Doh! I'd been looking right at that section, but since I wasn't looking for magical options I completely missed the implication. Thanks!
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
PK

A sentence making it explicit would have been nice, but since it didn't get one, let's be clear: If you have no life support on your ship, use the rules for Magical Life Support -- but now all of your characters better have a way to survive in space or they're going to die. :)

(In particular, your Occ. now takes an "A", but not the "SV".)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #14
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
A sentence making it explicit would have been nice, but since it didn't get one, let's be clear: If you have no life support on your ship, use the rules for Magical Life Support -- but now all of your characters better have a way to survive in space or they're going to die. :)

(In particular, your Occ. now takes an "A", but not the "SV".)
No Life Support Habitats are less habitable than normal cargo bays?
Old 04-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #15
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
No Life Support Habitats are less habitable than normal cargo bays?
Things like "Magical Life Support" and "No Life Support" are switches that affect how your ship handles these sorts of things. That's the reason ships have an Occ. value, and why for long-term accommodations it's based on the number of Habitats -- because that's where the ship's life support comes from. (No Habitats = an Occ. 0 ship.) So the air you're breathing is coming from your Habitat modules, whether you're in your cabin or in that cargo bay.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #16
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Things like "Magical Life Support" and "No Life Support" are switches that affect how your ship handles these sorts of things. That's the reason ships have an Occ. value, and why for long-term accommodations it's based on the number of Habitats -- because that's where the ship's life support comes from. (No Habitats = an Occ. 0 ship.) So the air you're breathing is coming from your Habitat modules, whether you're in your cabin or in that cargo bay.
Yes, but S stands for Sealed and V stands for Vacuum Support. If you don't have those, your habitat not only lacks life support but is actually open to space. Most systems on a ship without Habitats still provide Sealed and Vacuum Support functionality.

In fact on ships without habitats, systems include 24-hour air supply for a certain SV occupancy.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #17
Phantasm

So, for something like the Imperial TIE Fighter, which lacks life support but which appears to be Sealed (no real reason it shouldn't be), the No Life Support switch on that would make the Occ 1S, then?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #18
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
So, for something like the Imperial TIE Fighter, which lacks life support but which appears to be Sealed (no real reason it shouldn't be), the No Life Support switch on that would make the Occ 1S, then?
Something like an Imperial TIE Fighter doesn't need the No Life Support switch. It just doesn't have any Habitat systems. The pilot is housed in Occ 1SV with 24 hours of air, provided by the control station.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #19
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Something like an Imperial TIE Fighter doesn't need the No Life Support switch. It just doesn't have any Habitat systems. The pilot is housed in Occ 1SV with 24 hours of air, provided by the control station.
Except that the TIE pilots have to wear space suits which provide them air; the TIE itself provides no life support. The Empire designed them that way to cut costs, IIRC (viewing the ships - and pilots - as disposable). I must've missed the text which said that environmental suits are part of the control station.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #20
Tzeentch

-- No Life Support in the three examples that have it (The Juggernaut and the two Sky Galleons; all Pyramid designs) double cabin space and calculate Occupancy as for long-term occupancy, and have xA notation instead of the xSV notation as for limited life support (or ships without cabins). I'm not sure why it was accidently left out of SS7 but "use common sense" is a good rule: If it lacks life support because the occupants don't need it, or space is breathable, it only operates in atmosphere then it may lack S and/or V.
Tzeentch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aliens, life support, pulver responses, rev. pee kitty, spaceships