Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-20-2017, 10:14 PM   #11
jason taylor

Default Re: Divergent TLs: skill modifiers and High/Low TL traits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I have no skill with rifles at all, but being TL 8 means I have a default that some super intelligent/agile TL 4 warrior wouldn't. Of course once we got proper training, he'd quickly surpass me due to my mild intelligence and mediocre coordination.
I don't know. I have only shot once or twice(that tin can never did anything to me either)but I am probably to shaky to make a good shot. However I am not sure that knowing the scientific theories behind combustion-if he doesn't already-is such an advantage. Most of our machines we have work on the, "The company said it works this way, it seems to, and it is to much work to learn more" basis. It is not clear why someone on a lower TL cannot do that as well as a higher.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:18 PM   #12
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
I don't know. I have only shot once or twice(that tin can never did anything to me either)but I am probably to shaky to make a good shot. However I am not sure that knowing the scientific theories behind combustion-if he doesn't already-is such an advantage. Most of our machines we have work on the, "The company said it works this way, it seems to, and it is to much work to learn more" basis. It is not clear why someone on a lower TL cannot do that as well as a higher.
They can. DX based skill use has different rules than IQ-based skill use. Thus American Indians in the 19th century can easily learn to use rifles but not repair them.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #13
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Probably not - that would imply that a TL8 machinist could learn to use their pre-existing skillset for flintknapping after a little familiarization, but the same wouldn't do anything for a TL8 non-machinist.
That would be the difference between using and understanding that I indicated, but wasn't able to make clear - Partly because the difference isn't clear to me.

A TL0 character could be quickly taught how to use specific items in a TL8 machine shop to do one thing; that would be a familiarity, or using. Actually /understanding it requires buying the Machinist (TL8) skill.

Does that make sense?
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:43 PM   #14
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
Drop some laptops off with a random, nigh-uncontacted tribe in the middle of proverbial nowhere, and within a *few months, all of them will be proficient... And probably arguing things on the internet, to boot.

OTOH, given a few months, a random TL8 person from New York, New York can be taught how to flintknap a stone spear.

Realistically-speaking, using TLs should probably be handled something like familiarities. :)

Understanding TLs is a matter of considerably more study.

* I may exaggerate. But not by anything that impacts the point :)
The random person from New York would know how to flintknap a spear just by taking time to think about it. That does not mean he can make a GOOD spear.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:51 PM   #15
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
That would be the difference between using and understanding that I indicated, but wasn't able to make clear - Partly because the difference isn't clear to me.

A TL0 character could be quickly taught how to use specific items in a TL8 machine shop to do one thing; that would be a familiarity, or using. Actually /understanding it requires buying the Machinist (TL8) skill.

Does that make sense?
No - Machinist is a skill for doing stuff with a machine shop. I'm not sure what distinction you're trying to make, but it doesn't stand up there. Understanding the machine shop on a deeper level than how to use it isn't Machinist - Engineering, most likely.

Doing one very specific task that falls within a skill is the One Task Wonder perk, though. That might be relevant to your interests.
Quote:
Flyndaran was talking defaults, not skills actually learned.

Of course, at TL4 they probably do have defaults for using shoulder arms.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:55 PM   #16
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
No - Machinist is a skill for doing stuff with a machine shop. I'm not sure what distinction you're trying to make, but it doesn't stand up there. Understanding the machine shop on a deeper level than how to use it isn't Machinist - Engineering, most likely.

Doing one very specific task that falls within a skill is the One Task Wonder perk, though. That might be relevant to your interests.

Flyndaran was talking defaults, not skills actually learned.

Of course, at TL4 they probably do have defaults for using shoulder arms.
Except I don't have ANY default to speak of beyond, "put stock on shoulder, line up sights, boom. Sorry guy didn't see you..."
Old 11-20-2017, 11:02 PM   #17
Flyndaran
Untagged

You know how to use one regardless of your actual experience using them. That is what a default is.
I have never in my life touched SCUBA gear, but know the basics of operation such that I have a default.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:18 PM   #18
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
You know how to use one regardless of your actual experience using them. That is what a default is.
I have never in my life touched SCUBA gear, but know the basics of operation such that I have a default.
True but that is a description someone from a lower tech would understand. Just 600 years ago people would look at a rifle and think, "gun".
Old 11-20-2017, 11:22 PM   #19
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Except I don't have ANY default to speak of beyond, "put stock on shoulder, line up sights, boom. Sorry guy didn't see you..."
Defaults aren't supposed to be good, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:25 PM   #20
David Johnston2

Quote:
Which is exactly how defaults work.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote