Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-13-2011, 03:03 AM   #1
Kalzazz

Default Conflicting Disads - Cannot Harm Innocent's and Honesty

A situation that came up in game

A character was jumped by slavers, and defended herself in the process knocking out and capturing some of them

The Law is that captured slavers are to be summarily executed

An Honest person wants to follow the law

A person with Cannot Harm Innocent's does not want to hurt people who are not trying to do them serious harm. An unconscious slaver is obviously not trying to do them serious harm

How do you handle such a thing?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:24 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Conflicting Disads - Cannot Harm Innocent's and Honesty

Make a Self-Control roll for Honesty. If he succeeds, he kills the slavers and feels horrible about it. If he fails, he does not kill the slavers and feels horrible about it. On a critical failure, he drowns himself in the Seine river and his body is later found by the Paris police.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:24 AM   #3
zorg
Experimental Subject

This is a prime opportunity for roleplaying - the character has to decide which ideal he values more highly, and then live with the consequences. I don't think you can have a rules-based decision here. As long as the character makes an honest effort to reconcile his disads, any decision he comes up with would be legit, imo.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:27 AM   #4
downer

Roleplay it. In the end, you will suffer some kind of mental anguish over what you did, but which way you go is up to you. You could go for some kind of random resolution, I guess, but if I were your GM I would prefer you play it out, telling a confidant about your issue, asking you fellow characters for advice. This way, you can make your disadvantages part of your play, and give the GM some hints at how to react to your breach of morals.

Alternately, you could find a loophole. Leave the unconscious slavers somewhere they are bound to be noticed, and have other people "capture" and execute them. This way you wouldn't have to kill them, and wouldn't really be breaking the law, since I presume it doesn't say that the slavers have to be executed by the very person that captured them. Or you could ask another PC to do it for you, since you can't get yourself to.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:06 AM   #5
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
A situation that came up in game

A character was jumped by slavers, and defended herself in the process knocking out and capturing some of them

The Law is that captured slavers are to be summarily executed

An Honest person wants to follow the law

A person with Cannot Harm Innocent's does not want to hurt people who are not trying to do them serious harm. An unconscious slaver is obviously not trying to do them serious harm

How do you handle such a thing?
Catch 22. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. There is no win condition. All available choices screw the player (unless they get luck and the self-control check for Honesty comes up in their favor); hope the GM doesn't consider it bad roleplay (because you ignored one of you disadvantages) and dock you awarded CP for the session.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:34 AM   #6
jacobmuller

Sorry, but, "Cannot Harm Innocent's"? They're slavers, caught in flagrante, they ain't innocent...
Only in self-defense, yes, I can see the conflict - hand them over to the authorities. If you can't pass the buck, fight a series of duels with the deal for the slavers being win the fight, win your life - then you get to kill in self-defense...
Oh, and self-defense night allow you to just kill them anyway - letting them go would allow them to harm innocents, possibly your friends, family, etc. You could always have a basic trial - interrogate each "slaver" and see Why he does it. Maybe they ain't all mad-dog evil folk and letting some go would be a good thing?
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:45 AM   #7
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
...; hope the GM doesn't consider it bad roleplay (because you ignored one of you disadvantages) and dock you awarded CP for the session.
That would be extremely unfair, imo. The player gets to play out classic angsty drama, woes to the heaven, the whole shebang, and the GM has nothing better to do than to dock CPs? I'd have, well, harsh words over that.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:11 AM   #8
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg View Post
That would be extremely unfair, imo. The player gets to play out classic angsty drama, woes to the heaven, the whole shebang, and the GM has nothing better to do than to dock CPs? I'd have, well, harsh words over that.
Were I GM, if the PC shrugs and says, "I'm gonna..." then by all means dock CPs.

But if the PC displayed some conflict and angst, searched for a compromise, ultimately came to a decision, and then ruminated on it afterward, I'd consider that good roleplaying.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:35 AM   #9
Akicita

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
Sorry, but, "Cannot Harm Innocent's"? They're slavers, caught in flagrante, they ain't innocent...
Count another one for this opinion.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #10
BrockNicholson

Cannot Harm Innocents doesn't imply to me that the opponent must be actively trying to harm you at that moment. After all it allows you to start fights. I would think that a person with Honesty from a civilization that believes in summary execution would have little problem carrying out that execution. But then again, that is how I would roleplay the character, not necessarily how your player would.
BrockNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cannot harm innocents, conflicting disadvantages, honesty