Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: TL9+ Wood [Ultratech]

Sheer strength is different from tensile strength and compression strength. The compression strength of densified wood is 50× that oak from what I can gather from the litersture, while the tensile strength and sheer strength are around 10× as much (inferior to Kevlar).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #12
Black Leviathan

Minimalist furniture.

5 lb dinner table that can hold up a full dinner and the pressure of 5 adults leaning on it. Easier to move, less damaging to flooring, cheaper to ship.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:32 PM   #13
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Sheer strength is different from tensile strength and compression strength. The compression strength of densified wood is 50× that oak from what I can gather from the litersture, while the tensile strength and sheer strength are around 10× as much (inferior to Kevlar).
Another tricky issue there is that the strength of oak is directionally dependent. Ten times the tensile or shear strength along the fibers is quite good (though still well short of the usual hype for carbon fibers, so it's a little inconsistent with some of the other claims), 10 times the tensile or shear strength between the growth rings on the other hand...

Part of the point of densified wood is that the resulting material is more isotropic. Indeed that's the goal of a great deal of materials engineering done on wood all the way back to the invention of plywood.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:32 PM   #14
scc

Build some really big skyscrapers, and no I'm not joking, wood is actually something of a hot new material in building construction because it's lighter, cheaper, faster to build with, and more environmentally friendly then concrete. Buildings made with it also have a positive effect on the people living in them.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:09 PM   #15
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Another tricky issue there is that the strength of oak is directionally dependent. Ten times the tensile or shear strength along the fibers is quite good (though still well short of the usual hype for carbon fibers, so it's a little inconsistent with some of the other claims), 10 times the tensile or shear strength between the growth rings on the other hand...
the original paper gives the strength increase as x32 to x50 times perpendicular to the growth direction, which is to say the weak direction. The strength with the growth direction increases by x5.5.

x5.5 is a big increase, but it doesn't give quite the results of a x50 strength increase in all directions.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #16
AlexanderHowl

Wooden planks being 50x stronger for the thickness is a rather impressive feat.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:14 PM   #17
Anthony

Quote:
Wooden planks being 50x stronger for the thickness is a rather impressive feat.
It's 50x harder to split along the grain, but only 5x harder to split in the direction that people actually care about wood being strong in.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:16 PM   #18
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's 50x harder to split along the grain, but only 5x harder to split in the direction that people actually care about wood being strong in.
Cross-laminate timber, which is what is used in big construction, might due to the way it's made.

Also note that wood has, I believe, the same strength weight for weight as steel, so this makes that wood five time stronger then steel.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:47 AM   #19
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Also note that wood has, I believe, the same strength weight for weight as steel, so this makes that wood five time stronger then steel.
Even if that statement were true (as always, 'what kind of wood', 'what kind of steel', and 'what kind of strength'), the process makes the wood 3x denser, so weight for weight it's only 1.8x stronger than normal wood.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:09 AM   #20
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
It would be used the same way wood is, as a structural material, it would just be stronger.
Is it able to be moulded into a curve? If so, it may be preferential for particular schools of architectural fashion, as a "more natural" alternative to steel framing.

Q: Is it more energy/resource hungry than steel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
... It probably wouldn't have a high demand for furniture, being heavy for its volume...
If it can be bent, and it has a residual amount of spring greater than that of steel, IMHO it would be great for making the framing for chairs.

Tags
ultra tech, wood