Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-09-2023, 11:59 AM   #31
RGTraynor

Default Re: Questions about mean, antisocial Disadvantages

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
Raise your hands how many here never slaughtered an entire city/village in Skyrim just because you guys were bored (and then reloaded to not mess the game), and laughed about it, you psychos!
We don't need to think about Skyrim. What about GURPS?

Show of hands: how many of you in tabletop have never killed a mook guard who was between you and your party's objective?

Whether or not this is a hobby peopled by sociopaths, almost every one of our characters have arms dripping to the elbows with red.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:32 PM   #32
Solomon Draak

Bloodlust is not so unrealistic, it's the killer instinct which many soldiers and fighters develope out of sheer necessity. When your life is on the line, and you're more than a little afraid and/or angry, even with extensive training it's difficult to NOT go for the kill against perceived foes. Think about expert cops who had been shooted and stabbed so many times their hands never stray far from their guns, or even combat airplane pilots trained to the human limits ( like in GTA San Andreas "If you took so many anphetamines as them you would find hard to not shot anything that moves ).

Once the killer istinct is awakened, trained and stimulated, it's easy to lose control.

In a GURPS module - I can't remember which one - I read that some war veterans who are pleasant enough most of the time but with killer instincts ready to kick in at the first ( serious ) provocation could be considered good example of characters with Bloodlust.

In fiction:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunted_(2003_film)

Aaron Hallam is an example of near-uncontrollable Bloodlust.
He's not a sadist or a bully, he don't compulsively kill like a serial killer, but when two armed jerks decide to follow him into the woods, he rips them to pieces because he's a trained killer and that is how he reacts to danger.
His mentor warned him:

"The difficult things is not learn to kill but learn to stop."

Last edited by Solomon Draak; 02-09-2023 at 01:37 PM.
Solomon Draak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 12:28 AM   #33
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
Raise your hands how many here never slaughtered an entire city/village in Skyrim just because you guys were bored (and then reloaded to not mess the game), and laughed about it, you psychos!
Raised hand.

Because there is no point to it and I don't get angry and take my frustrations out like that in a video game.

In response to Varyon, depends on the character, but yes, this is probably true. I mean I can't recall ever casually icing a mook guard who didn't need killing; 'mook' innocents who stood in the way though*... so no real difference.

* In that group's defense we were playing a capital "E" Evil D&D campaign, so the idea was that most of us were sociopaths who would take the easy route where 'murder in cold blood' was the 'easy route'.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote