Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
Sindri

Default Well-meaning Genetic Engineering Disadvantages

Let's generate some ideas about well meaning disadvantages and quirks for genetic engineering. Not accidental flaws, or things like mental disadvantages that the designers might consider an actual improvement, or things that make for a better slave race but things that are both recognized as meaning reduced capabilities but thought to be a net gain.

An example from fiction would be Shinsekai Yori where the people of Kamisu 66 have had genetic engineering one part of which is the "Death of Shame" which sabotages someone's body with their own psychic powers if they try to kill another person.

I've come up with some deliberate drug weaknesses that also fit. One is a susceptibility to a knockout agent. Their otherwise strong health is deliberately crippled in regards to the drug as an incentive for enemies to try to knock them out instead of kill them. The weakness is set up such that they have a large safety margin between being knocked out and suffering other bad effects.

Another idea I've come up with is a memory flaw. Naturally Photographic Memory was added to the template. It is after all very useful. However a population full of people with perfect memory posed some social issues one part of the solution for which was to set up a response to a drug where the memories of the time during exposure to it would be vague and unreliable so that people can have more casual meetings without having to watch everything they do because it's being effectively recorded forever.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:23 PM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Well-meaning Genetic Engineering Disadvantages

Who on earth would want to have their amazing memory damaged like that? It's akin to you or I wanting to suffer a black out.

But nearly anything can be thought of as a beneficial trait given the right societal beliefs.
(No one should live forever, but should still enjoy great health until they drop dead in their Xth year. So Self Destruct disadvantage fits their idea of social good.)
Old 06-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
Sindri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Who on earth would want to have their amazing memory damaged like that? It's akin to you or I wanting to suffer a black out.
Well you never need to use it and indeed it's rare outside of close relationships (anything else doesn't need to be connected to you, just a disposible identity). There are probably some who avoid using it whenever possible.

Quote:
But nearly anything can be thought of as a beneficial trait given the right societal beliefs.
(No one should live forever, but should still enjoy great health until they drop dead in their Xth year. So Self Destruct disadvantage fits their idea of social good.)
Yeah that's a good addition.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:20 PM   #4
DemiBenson

Quote:
Anyone who has experienced a traumatic event where they would rather not relive the horrible event every moment of every day.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:40 PM   #5
whswhs

My Call of Cthulhu GM told us that anyone who wanted eidetic memory could have it for the asking. Funny thing, no one took her up on it.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:55 PM   #6
Angle

Quote:
But isn't that basically what people do with alcohol? I mean, I know alcohol has other effects, and in this case the drug helps other people relax, instead of just the person who took it. But it still seems pretty similar.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:41 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Intolerance of one's own sex (as a result of trying to engineer homosexuality out of one of the sexes.)

Elimination of fear, resulting in Combat Paralysis and Overconfidence.

An uncontrollable blushing response when trying to lie.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:10 AM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiBenson View Post
Anyone who has experienced a traumatic event where they would rather not relive the horrible event every moment of every day.
If you know ahead of time that a situation/locale will result in P.T.S.D. level trauma, why on frigging EARTH would you voluntarily go there to begin with?

(In reality, they are researching cannabinoids for just such ability to reduce the impact of painful memories.)
Old 06-19-2015, 12:12 AM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle View Post
But isn't that basically what people do with alcohol? I mean, I know alcohol has other effects, and in this case the drug helps other people relax, instead of just the person who took it. But it still seems pretty similar.
I don't understand why anyone would want to party with the express purpose of not ever remembering it. I doubt many would want to simply have a black out without even the hint of the promise of alcohol like euphoria.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:12 AM   #10
Icelander

Quote:
If you know ahead of time that a situation/locale will result in P.T.S.D. level trauma, why on frigging EARTH would you voluntarily go there to begin with?
'Cause it's right?