Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
Stormcrow

Default One-shot with puzzle

I'm looking for inspiration for a one-session one-shot RPG to run for a group of about half a dozen 14-year-old Girl Scouts. It should involve solving a puzzle of some kind. Suggestions for published scenarios are welcome, though I'll take general suggestions as well. The game system isn't set, though GURPS may be more complicated than needed, but good adventures written for GURPS would still fit the bill.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
copeab

Default Re: One-shot with puzzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
I'm looking for inspiration for a one-session one-shot RPG to run for a group of about half a dozen 14-year-old Girl Scouts. It should involve solving a puzzle of some kind. Suggestions for published scenarios are welcome, though I'll take general suggestions as well. The game system isn't set, though GURPS may be more complicated than needed, but good adventures written for GURPS would still fit the bill.
A lot depends on how much time you will have to run the adventure. While us grognards would love an eight hour session, the group you are planning for might not care for more than two hours.

That being said, I favor the "rule of three", which in this case can mean finding and retrieving three items needed to solve the puzzle, or perhaps three smaller puzzles that must be solved in order to unlock the treasure/trap the monster/etc.

Also, unless you know the Scouts to have a liking for a particular genre, some flavor of urban fantasy may work best, as "real world with some fantastical elements" is easier to grasp for inexperienced players than most other settings.

As for game system, I suggest Fudge or Mini-Six for D6.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
Stormcrow

Yes, it's probably not more than two or three hours.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #4
Celjabba

Thats a very difficult age to target a scenario for, especially for players you don't know. I know I usually refuse to try, so ... respect.

14 are likely too old for Tails of Equestria.

Call of Cthulhu is probably your best bet.
A modern investigation scenario, toning down the horror aspect.
Delta green perhaps ? Or Cathulhu, now that I think of it.
In 2-3 hours, the haunted house tropes always work...

I would also suggest Gurps Discworld, runnning a very simplified Gurps (or your light system of choice).
I have a couple Discworld scenario for convention that may fit, but they unfortunately exist only as handwritten notes in French, and are designed to run a bit longer. Still, if you have time and are interested, I can send you "cliff notes" (but not before this week-end at the earliest)

If you want something more action oriented, Star War always worked for me.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #5
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Call of Cthulhu is probably your best bet.
I considered this, but if the OP properly runs it, he'll send a bunch of 14 yos to therapy ;)

Quote:
If you want something more action oriented, Star War always worked for me.
d6 Star Wars is a favorite of mine and was reprinted earlier this year, but you could approximate it with Mini-Six.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #6
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Yes, it's probably not more than two or three hours.
Something your players may know about and can be part of solving the puzzle can be geocaching (thanks to my friend Janet for mentioning this).

Old 01-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #7
FragileSound

My husband, Khorboth, directed me to this thread because of the Girl Scout connection. I'm a GS leader and former scout.

I second the recommendation of modern urban fantasy. If it were my troop, I would research local scout camps to use as settings. Instead of Call of Cthulu (because of the therapy thing), I would recommend White Wolf worlds and GURPS rules. We all know the popularity of vampire and werewolf fiction with teens.

I also recommend a "play yourself" model. It facilitates quick character creation and instant immersion. Failing that, I would premake charcters that fall tidily into fantasy stereotypes.

May I ask what GS event this is for? Are you trying to fulfill badge or program requirements ? Which ones?
FragileSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:30 PM   #8
Stormcrow

Gaming badge. My wife is a troop leader and my niece is one of the members. I know some of her friends too. They did the "break the ice" portion tonight with a card game and a board game; the RPG will be for the "solve a riddle" portion, to be played later this month.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #9
SionEwig

Hmmmmm, one possibility is if you can find a copy of an adventure that was in Dragon magazine back so very many years ago, issue #42 I think it was. The adventure concerned a group of (at the time) modern day youths in an organized group who were out on a night hike (with no adult supervision) and came across the mansion of a mad scientist. The Mansion of Mad Professor Ludlow was the name of the adventure I think. Might be useful.
SionEwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #10
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SionEwig View Post
The Mansion of Mad Professor Ludlow
Ooh, this looks like exactly what I need. Might be too long, but that's fixable. I'll give it a read tonight.