Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.
Default Layering armour.

When layering armour using the rules on B286, is the DX penalty per piece of layered armour, or is it just a single penalty regardless of how much you are wearing?

If it is just one penalty, is there anything (except common sense) to stop you wearing dozens of layers of leather armour?
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Ze'Manel Cunha

Default Re: Layering armour.

It's per layer.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
Sam Baughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
It's per layer.
Per layer of armour, per layer on each location or per piece of armour?

For instance, If I am wearing leather pants, a leather jacket, a mail shirt, mail leggings, mail sleeves and a steel breastplate, what is my penalty?
Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
Per layer of armour, per layer on each location or per piece of armour?

For instance, If I am wearing leather pants, a leather jacket, a mail shirt, mail leggings, mail sleeves and a steel breastplate, what is my penalty?
Well, unless there's a different rule somewhere else, the mail shirt will have to be concealable as well as already being flexible. But, if it is, then use the worst penalty, in the penalty from wearing the leather armor, mail shirt, and steel breastplate.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
Sam Baughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccwebs View Post
Well, unless there's a different rule somewhere else, the mail shirt will have to be concealable as well as already being flexible.
The mail shirt in the basic set is noted as being concealable.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
DanHoward

LT goes into a little more detail. If only the legs are layered then the DX penalty only affects maneuvers that primarily involve the legs. This would include running, climbing, combat, but not mounted combat.

LT also has more detailed rules for concealing armour so the new layering rules only require the armour to be flexible.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
Ubiquitous

If you layer a heavy Flexible DR with no Piercing protection underneath armor WITH Piercing Protection, does the Flexi DR protect against the Blunt Impact that Rigid DR transfers it's damage to?

EDIT: Not to hijack but this question seemed relevant to the topic being discussed.
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
DanHoward

Yes. IMO that is the main point of layering armour. One layer compensates for the deficiencies of the other.

Mail and padding is another good example. Mail is lousy at absorbing impact and padding is good. Mail lousy at stopping bodkins but good at stopping broadheads, while padding is good at stopping bodkins but less effective against broadheads.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:50 AM   #9
Ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Yes. IMO that is the main point of layering armour. One layer compensates for the deficiencies of the other.

Mail and padding is another good example. Mail is lousy at absorbing impact and padding is good. Mail lousy at stopping bodkins but good at stopping broadheads, while padding is good at stopping bodkins but less effective against broadheads.
Ooooh. When *is* that Low tech coming out??? We're about to start out a Song of Fire and Ice campaign, and this stuff would rock there.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #10
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
Ooooh. When *is* that Low tech coming out??? We're about to start out a Song of Fire and Ice campaign, and this stuff would rock there.
Soon ;)

Now seriously, you're not the only one wishing to see Low Tech, trust me, and it's going to rock for ALL TL 0-4 campaigns. The authors are THAT good, and the playtest was real intense (and sincerely, I'm sure than more than a little tiring for the authors. We playtesters are akin to cats, when it comes to herding us).

I would assume that we will see the PDF version (it has been SJG's policy, for a while, to release the PDF version before even sending the book to printers, to do a preemtive errata check, since Thaumatology), and there will be great rejoicing! (If I don't get comp-ed I'm buying the PDFs ASAP, and waiting for the dead tree, but it's because I absolutely love the smell of new books, because I feel that I'll have to lend the book to my players, and because while I have a net book, that can double up as a rather decent ebook reader, I feel that the technology isn't there yet)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, armour