Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #1
LokRobster

Default Raiding TFT for Adventures for DFRPG

Who’s done heisted The Fantasy Trip published adventures and ported them to this here game?

I’ve been eyeballing the current Kickstarter and the $36 ante seems pretty nifty for a stack of pre-fab fun. And you’d get the Zine on the side, or that’s how I’m looking at it. Obviously a fella could just run TFT, but what if I stuck w/ DFRPG instead?

I would think conversion would be super simple but figured I’d look to hear what anyone who’s actually done it thinks...

Last edited by LokRobster; 02-04-2019 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Link to kickstarter of HexZine
LokRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:31 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Raiding TFT for Adventures for DFRPG

I havent, though a conversion document would be nifty ans insure I add further TFT adventures to my list.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:32 AM   #3
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
I’ve been eyeballing the current Kickstarter and the $36 ante seems pretty nifty for a stack of pre-fab fun. And you’d get the Zine on the side, or that’s how I’m looking at it. Obviously a fella could just run TFT, but what if I stuck w/ DFRPG instead?
I've had the same thought. I don't know anything about TFT, really, but I can't imagine conversion would be very difficult. I regularly raid adventures from other games. I'm mostly after plot hoks, maps, and interesting encounters and NPCs. All of that converts easily enough. For monsters that don't already exist, it's trivial to wing some stats or swap for something from Monsters.

Pyramid 3/118 includes "Istvan's Hole," an adventure with stats for both DFRPG and TFT. Based on a cursory look, ST, DX, and IQ seem close enough to just keep the values. DR and damage figures are a bit different. I'm not sure what MA stands for. I bet there are some folks on these boards with expertise in both systems who could suggest a simple conversion algorithm. It would make a good short Pyramid article. Alas.

In that same issue is "The 60-Minute Heroes," an adventure just for TFT. It would require some monster swaps (most exist already in DFRPG) and adjusting treasure quantities. I've been thinking of running it as a quick DFRPG interim adventure at some point for my kids.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I don't know anything about TFT, really, but I can't imagine conversion would be very difficult.
Ermmm....

IQ and DX are a bit different. As they are skill levels, so they can get a bit inflated or be a bit low. So adjust as needed.

ST is both weapon prereq (weapons need a certain ST to use) and HP. Some fighters will have a much higher ST than is needed for their weapon because... well HP. This is especially true for Wizards (I'm lookin at you Porphyry with your ST 16)...

Damage is weapon based and has no relation to ST (other than getting to the weapons requirement).

MA is Move, but it's pretty much doubled. It also accounts for armor worn, so, you'll just have to rework this one.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:52 AM   #5
Refplace

The best solution might be just including the TFT monsters in a DF Bestiary. Then you swap as needed and humanoids should be easier to replace anyhow.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #6
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The best solution might be just including the TFT monsters in a DF Bestiary. Then you swap as needed and humanoids should be easier to replace anyhow.
This is one of the better arguments for a "make a bestiary that's basically D&D monsters, but for GURPS/DFRPG" I think. Most of the work in running published adventures is converting/substituting the monsters.

When converting Hall of Judgment BACK to my 5e-derived Dragon Heresy, the monsters section was just easy. Take the one from HoJ, copy the section of the Book of Foes from the DH text, boom. Done.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:43 PM   #7
Kalzazz

Most of the work in running published adventures to me is finding an adventure that meets my personal gold standard for being a wheat adventure I want to run

The hardest conversion part is the loot

Why is it the loot?

I think duration and visibility. If I convert a Purple Spotted Mudlion, A - it's probably going to only star for 1 encounter
B - the players probably won't know exactly how I statted it anyway

But the Fabulous Prize they loot from its corpse may be around for a while! And the characters will likely use it enough for players to get a good idea how it rolls

I'd still love 'the fabulous beastiary of all your favorite D&D critters', I was tickled pink when the DFRPG game I was playing in encountered a caryatid column
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #8
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
But the Fabulous Prize they loot from its corpse may be around for a while! And the characters will likely use it enough for players to get a good idea how it rolls
Yeah, I can relate. For unusual magic items, especially from other systems, I almost always give them charges if I'm not sure about them. If it's awesome and balanced, I can always let them find an upgraded version in the future (or have a way to recharge it or add a powerstone or something). But if it's too powerful or otherwise screwy, then it runs out and fades into the annals of history.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:58 PM   #9
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
...for being a wheat adventure I want to run
What is a 'wheat' adventure?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #10
Kalzazz

Not a chaff adventure

Theres bazillions of adventures out there, most of which I can't imagine ever wanting to run for various reasons

Finding that 1 in X adventure that doesn't make we want to not run it is the trick

So once I've identified an adventure I like the converting is the easy part
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote