Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #101
Bruno

Default Re: Layerd Armour and other ways of Improving DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
There are also variant organ shapes to consider. The classic medical diagrams are for merely the most common, often not even majority but plurality of individuals.
I know some people have livers fully under the rib cage with no bit hanging out like it does in most of us.
So I don't think micromanaging legalese could work no matter how specific wording got.
Yeah, I'm familiar with that due to having a herniated stomach (it spends an annoying amount of time with an annoying amount on the wrong side of my diaphram). And then there's the folks who just don't have as many ribs as the standard, from birth or for surgical reasons. It doesn't stop vital functions from functioning, but the abdominal-ish area that is exposed is bigger.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:29 PM   #102
Flyndaran
Untagged

You know it's really hard to whine about my problems when I know and really like so many people with far worse ones. (Embarrassed smiley face.)

It seems like missing a small structural object like a rib usually causes fewer problems than having an extra one.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:33 AM   #103
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
IMO the liver and solar plexus are in the lower chest (area 10). A regular breastplate gives full protection to these. The abdomen starts at the bottom of the rib cage where the breastplate stops covering the torso and ends with the groin.
Yep as I said in that post the liver (and kidneys to an extant) are often protected by the rib cage. And while the rib cage might curve up to leave certain things uncovered as it meets the sternum and back bone. A breast plate that extends to the lowest point of the rib cage likely won't so will still protect them (the solar plexus for example)

It's good to get a definition in anatomical terms of the GURPS Chest location as well especially as it's not the usual "diaphragm as the point of distinction" one. But then I'm using that anatomical one because that's my background, your using an armour historian's definition based off what a breast plate usually covers, so yours is more appropriate in this context anyway.

However on that have you got as precise definitions of upper and lower chest?

Anyway Cheers

TD

Last edited by Tomsdad; 10-30-2016 at 01:39 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armour, layering armour