Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #21
Prince Charon

Default Re: High/Ultra-Tech Versions of Low-Tech Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Grossly overestimating coverage is the standard for GURPS; aiming for chinks in armor should probably be closer to a -2 or -3 than a -8.
The actual penalty probably should depend on a few factors, including range. I do agree that -8 is probably too much if you're in mêlée, though.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #22
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Since shoulders and armpits count as part of the arms, and everything below the waist is the abdomen, a chest-and-back plate corslet doesn't actually have any gaps in the area covered (as long as it uses sliding rivets, anyway). I don't see any reason that targeting chinks should be especially easy either, since we are basically just talking about the edges at that point.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 10-12-2016 at 03:37 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #23
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Since shoulders and armpits count as part of the arms, and everything below the waist is the abdomen, a chest-and-back plate corslet doesn't actually have any gaps in the area covered (as long as it uses sliding rivets, anyway).
Chinks means 'half DR'; while you do have armor that is the same thickness everywhere, it's also quite rare; your average corselet will have a quite large area that qualifies for half DR.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:39 PM   #24
GodBeastX

Ultratech you can just use the Pyramid #12 - Tech and Toys P.9 for Ultratech plate armor. This is "Hardshell Suit".

For High Tech, no idea. How much stronger does steel become in TL8 versus TL4?
Old 10-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #25
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Chinks means 'half DR'; while you do have armor that is the same thickness everywhere, it's also quite rare; your average corselet will have a quite large area that qualifies for half DR.
Does it? All the constructions I'm familiar with have the same thickness throughout, with the exception of rolled edges (but surely the listed DR isn't for the margins!). Where is it thinner (other than the sides at the rivets)?
Old 10-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #26
Anthony

Quote:
Does it? All the constructions I'm familiar with have the same thickness, with the exception of rolled edges (but surely the listed DR isn't for the margins!).
Oh hey, found some actual studies, last time I made the attempt no dice. If you count the effects of sloping, the differences between frontal protection and elsewhere are even more pronounced.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #27
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Oh hey, found some actual studies, last time I made the attempt no dice. If you count the effects of sloping, the differences between frontal protection and elsewhere are even more pronounced.
Variance of .01 inch is less than a point of DR, certainly less than half of average DR. Isn't this level of variance reflected by random damage?
Old 10-12-2016, 05:07 PM   #28
Anthony

Quote:
Variance of .01 inch is less than a point of DR, certainly less than half of average DR. Isn't this level of variance reflected by random damage?
That was the variance at any given point in the armor. If you actually look at the ranges of thickness, on the first armor, the sides are .028-.052 (DR 2-3), the center near the crease is .08-.11 (DR 6-8).
Old 10-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #29
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
That was the variance at any given point in the armor. If you actually look at the ranges of thickness, on the first armor, the sides are .028-.052 (DR 2-3), the center near the crease is .08-.11 (DR 6-8).
Why wouldn't the sides be -8 to hit? The area isn't easy to reach (protected by limbs, and only one side at time is logically exposed from the same angle) and they aren't significantly larger in surface area than say armpits (which are also -8).
Old 10-12-2016, 05:15 PM   #30
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Why wouldn't the sides be -8 to hit? The area isn't easy to reach (protected by limbs, and only one side at time is logically exposed from the same angle) and they aren't significantly larger in surface area than say armpits (which are also -8).
I can't imagine any sane fighter trying a -8 attack except to a downed foe. It's a coup de grace type move, in my opinion.

Tags
armor, armour