Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-30-2014, 12:21 AM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default My GURPS Houserules: thoughts?

Hey all!

I've been talking a bit about a GURPS Urban Arcana conversion, and I plan on using the following houserules for such a campaign:

The main anti-heroic organization is staffed by a small number of elite troopers and a renewable supply of cannon fodder, and have the highest technology available. They aren't above enhanced interrogation techniques, summary execution and the like, staging prison break to get prisoners who committed awful crimes in their ranks as cannon fodder, using terminally ill people as cannon fodder in exchange for a nice payment to their relatives, but they draw the line at affecting the free will of people over the long term (1 day max for mind control, no brainwashing), and actually executing hostages. They have access to a few TL 9 weapons and tools. They will be employing the PCs after their introduction to the supernatural/the modern world.

Covert Operations: Some missions call for subtlety. Only a (few) pistol and easily concealed or inconspicuous equipment can be brought in such assignments, though what can be found during it is not limited as such. Deal with getting your gun in your coat's secret magic pocket for a mission without your most powerful weapons and armor like a true covert operative. One or more PC will have to be a Covert Operative and maybe some will get to be backup... Choose wisely who gets what role... If the Covert Operative gets caught in a fight, he should be able to hold his/her own until backup arrives...

Troubled past: Everyone I know has a troubled history. In fact, I think they are very common. So every PC has to have some form of troubled history (run of the mill bullying you never truly got over from, parents who neglected you, believe me that kind of things are common,and that's before we get into the much more messed-up stuff), and there will be an adventure waiting to happen when they are off duty. Since they will be off duty, Covert Operation rules apply to everyone. Once the thorny issue is resolved, the character will gain a small bonus perk, and a mindlink to any other PCs who buried their own chapters from their stories... Because of course your friends were there for you, and you were there for them, right?

The following Mass Combat Element Enhancement has been added:

Hyperwave (100% increase in cost to raise and maintain):

Hyperwave is a technology/magic mix allowing to partially shift elements into another dimension. While in that state, an element is virtually undetectable (only visual confirmation can spot it (with great difficulty), or dedicated anti-hyperwave tech, no radar, no sonar though it leaves the usual trails such a unit would leave), makes no sound, moves at half speed, cannot attack and is less vulnerable to attack.

A force entirely consisting of hyperwave elements, gets a +10 modifier to strategy rolls to retreat, a +3 bonus to skirmish or indirect attack strategy and takes 5% less losses while skirmishing, since they pop in our world, fire a volley and get back out, being hard to detect again. Also, a force consisting entirely of hyperwave elements and actively using it gets a +5 bonus to the recon contest due to being hard to pinpoint, and recon elements enjoy quadruple TS for recon superiority purposes only due to being hard to intercept.

Hyperwave elements can communicate with each other or with a HQ through Hyperwave communication devices.

Hyperwave also make an effective MILSAT network, since they offer an easy uncounterable C3I superiority... As long as the communication and codes stay secure.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:20 AM   #2
McAllister

Default Re: My GURPS Houserules: thoughts?

I believe only one of these is a rule per se, and I've never used Mass Combat, so... sounds like a fun setting.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote