Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Mixing Ritual Path Magic and Divine Favor... Can it be done?

Yes, you heard me right. Maybe I'm crazy! But I had an idea that I wanted to share. Right now, I am in the process of converting all spells (in flavor) from Magic to work with Ritual Path Magic. Well, then I began thinking that I don't want to make a bazillion different spells and powers and abilities and so on. I want my druids to be able to use RPM spells with Divine Favor. So... Here's how I figure it:

Step One: Convert all Greater effects into Lesser effects.
Step Two: Take off 10% of that cost for it being "divine".

Yes, you heard me right. Ten percent off of the whole thing. Why? Because it's Divine Favor and you have to work with all those rules to get it right and, in my opinion, it seems to balance decently.

Thoughts? Opinions? Go ahead and tell me that you think it's stupid. Maybe it is! It's just something that I thought up. Because I'm lazy. “I choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it.” ― Bill Gates
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Mixing Ritual Path Magic and Divine Favor... Can it be done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Yes, you heard me right. Maybe I'm crazy! But I had an idea that I wanted to share. Right now, I am in the process of converting all spells (in flavor) from Magic to work with Ritual Path Magic. Well, then I began thinking that I don't want to make a bazillion different spells and powers and abilities and so on. I want my druids to be able to use RPM spells with Divine Favor. So... Here's how I figure it:

Step One: Convert all Greater effects into Lesser effects.
Step Two: Take off 10% of that cost for it being "divine".

Yes, you heard me right. Ten percent off of the whole thing. Why? Because it's Divine Favor and you have to work with all those rules to get it right and, in my opinion, it seems to balance decently.
This is one way to do it. Keep in mind that the reduction of Greater Effects into Lesser ones can make things realllllyyyy wonky. I don't suggest you do that.

Since I used both of these books pretty much exclusively in my campaign for "arcane" and "divine" magic I'll tell you my way. :-D

1) Learned Prayer (Mana Reserve) - I figure how much a Energy Reserve (Mana Reserve) the paragon can buy with his Divine Favor. For example, a paragon with Divine Favor 11 could have a Energy Reserve (Mana Reserve) 30.
2) I allow the use of Meditative Magic for living a "holy life" from Fantasy and let them store up those points as a separate mana reserve they can tap as if it is there own. This makes for CRAZY miracles the theurgist (divine caster) can pull out of no where.
3) Using the Learned Prayer above allow a petitioning paragon to roll his reaction and see how much extra mana his god grants. I used 5 for Neutral, 11 for Good, 18 for Very Good, and 43 for Excellent. It has so far worked quite well.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
This is one way to do it. Keep in mind that the reduction of Greater Effects into Lesser ones can make things realllllyyyy wonky. I don't suggest you do that.

Since I used both of these books pretty much exclusively in my campaign for "arcane" and "divine" magic I'll tell you my way. :-D

1) Learned Prayer (Mana Reserve) - I figure how much a Energy Reserve (Mana Reserve) the paragon can buy with his Divine Favor. For example, a paragon with Divine Favor 11 could have a Energy Reserve (Mana Reserve) 30.
2) I allow the use of Meditative Magic for living a "holy life" from Fantasy and let them store up those points as a separate mana reserve they can tap as if it is there own. This makes for CRAZY miracles the theurgist (divine caster) can pull out of no where.
3) Using the Learned Prayer above allow a petitioning paragon to roll his reaction and see how much extra mana his god grants. I used 5 for Neutral, 11 for Good, 18 for Very Good, and 43 for Excellent. It has so far worked quite well.
I... I think I... I love you... It's simpler, really. Wow. I really like how you've managed it. That's a great balance! This couldn't get any better! Unless... You also have a secret trick for balancing regular powers too? Think psionics. Haha.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
How did you arrive at these numbers?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I... I think I... I love you... It's simpler, really. Wow. I really like how you've managed it. That's a great balance! This couldn't get any better!
Look, I think we should just be friends. My girlfriend wouldn't be happy about me having another boyfriend. Honestly I can't keep up with both of 'em sometimes. ;-)

Quote:
Unless... You also have a secret trick for balancing regular powers too? Think psionics. Haha.
Yeah, but that's easy - buy the ability as a alternative learned prayer. You worship a good of mind powers? Neat - take Suggestion 7 as a Alternative ability of Divine Favor (The Great Intelligence) 12. Of course, your power would then have issues with psi dampers, anti-psi, etc. and you'd lose access if your god was ****** at you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
How did you arrive at these numbers?
Divine Favor p. 9 lists how to make new Learned Prayers I simply took the lowest rung and used the highest point value of that reaction.

The lowest is Neutral and uses Divine Favor 3 whose Learned Prayer cost is 1-15. Energy Reserve (Mana Reserve) is 3/level so 5. Good uses Divine Favor 7 whose Learned Prayer cost is 26-35 so 11. And so on.

Become a Patron!
Old 05-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:

Divine Favor p. 9 lists how to make new Learned Prayers I simply took the lowest rung and used the highest point value of that reaction.

The lowest is Neutral and uses Divine Favor 3 whose Learned Prayer cost is 1-15. Energy Reserve (Mana Reserve) is 3/level so 5. Good uses Divine Favor 7 whose Learned Prayer cost is 26-35 so 11. And so on.
Ah so you based the point cost of the ER value. OK got it.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 05-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Look, I think we should just be friends. My girlfriend wouldn't be happy about me having another boyfriend. Honestly I can't keep up with both of 'em sometimes. ;-)
Darn! That'll have to do though. Just remember... I'm always riiiight here! ;) Bahahaha!

Quote:
Yeah, but that's easy - buy the ability as a alternative learned prayer. You worship a good of mind powers? Neat - take Suggestion 7 as a Alternative ability of Divine Favor (The Great Intelligence) 12. Of course, your power would then have issues with psi dampers, anti-psi, etc. and you'd lose access if your god was ****** at you.
No, no. I meant a way to balance some kind of Psionics system to work evenly alongside arcane and divine RPM. Psionics and magic are not necessarily opposites, but they are definitely not the same. I would never build psionics using magic! Will using psionic powers as written be able to keep pace with aRPM and dRPM?

EDIT: Also, could you go further into that Mana Reserve and Learned Prayer idea? How does that work? How does it recharge? Just looking for a little clarification! Thanks!
Old 05-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Darn! That'll have to do though. Just remember... I'm always riiiight here! ;) Bahahaha!
I'll a-keep that in mind.

Quote:
No, no. I meant a way to balance some kind of Psionics system to work evenly alongside arcane and divine RPM. Psionics and magic are not necessarily opposites, but they are definitely not the same. I would never build psionics using magic! Will using psionic powers as written be able to keep pace with aRPM and dRPM?
I've 2 campaigns that feature a mix of RPM, Divine Favor, Psi, Chi, and a few other odds and ends. They keep up. Just make sure you let the others buy ERs to keep up when needed. RPM can get out of hand - but you're the GM - keep it in line. I have the most trouble from psis to be perfectly honest. My players LOVE using extra effort to devastating effect.

Become a Patron!
Old 05-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Refplace

Psi and Divine Favor are both Power based models so should be easy enough to balance agaisnt each other.
Use a core power and AA like Divine favor or the more flexible but math intensive approach from Psionic Powers.
The latter is less versatile then RPM but could be pretty powerful.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 05-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

From what I understand, last time I asked this question, wasn't it hard to balance the power-per-point between RPM and DivF?

I asked in regards to replacing Wizards with [RPM] Adepts in Dungeon Fantasy, and was told that the Adepts would be weak compared to the (Pyramid article) Saints.

Tags
divine favor, magic, powers, ritual path magic, rpm