Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2014, 05:34 AM   #31
Tomsdad

Default Re: Literal vs. Abstract interpretation of GURPS combat and other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
There's the reason and the effect. The reason for wanting to make these actions more difficult was the wish to make them more realistic.
I think difficult is the wrong word to use and implies a gamist POV. There is not positive relationship between difficulty and realism here, there's a positive relationship between reduced spatial awareness and sighted shots. Just as there's a positive relationship between speed and unsighted shots.

Again I think you have to separate difficulty form realism, they are only inherently connected because your inherently connecting them. One is system/gamist* quality, the other is a genre preference/simulationist* quality.

We already have cites from people who were part of the this process telling us that increased difficulty was not a factor in this rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
As for follow-up shots, it's a mystery (to me) why at the beginning of 4e the mechanic was ditched: back in 3e, I remember the being a mechanic for keeping most of a gun's Acc on following turns.
Well what ever the reason is it certainly effects the game balance of making sighted shots a AoA:D

*all is lost if we're citing GNS theory I suspect.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abstraction, combat, rules