Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-23-2019, 12:51 AM   #211
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: So What IS ruined after an Apocalypse?

While I appreciate the anecdotes - and I do! - is there any hard data on what computers/electronics might last through given decent conditions anywhere? A google search has left me with nothing.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:56 AM   #212
Luke Bunyip

No help on computers, but alternative power storage technologies (apart from domestic storage batteries, or ones salvaged from electric vehicles) can include Pumped-storage hydro, and/or an inclined electrified rail line. Also, pico hydro is a potential small scale generation option.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:22 AM   #213
khorboth

Nothing definitive about computers, but I found another good discussion.

Last edited by khorboth; 07-24-2019 at 08:30 AM.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #214
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
No help on computers, but alternative power storage technologies (apart from domestic storage batteries, or ones salvaged from electric vehicles) can include Pumped-storage hydro, and/or an inclined electrified rail line. Also, pico hydro is a potential small scale generation option.
Ok. That's just cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
Nothing definitive about computers, but I found another good discussion.
Useful! Thank you.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:26 AM   #215
Luke Bunyip

The state of communications, Pt 1

I don't recall any discussion of the state of communication in this dystopic future. Telephonic and data systems will be gone, I presume. Hypothetically, communities could string copper wire, and re-aquatint themselves with Morse, but that's AFAIK not an option, because of the paucity of local copper ore deposits, communities with sufficient excess labour and resources to refine it, and then turn it into wire.

So, what is the state of communications between settlements and communities? Oration by travelling merchants and/or tinkerers? Letters and a postal service? Paper and ink manufacturing? Printing, printing presses? A regional newsletter?
Old 07-26-2019, 08:50 AM   #216
Luke Bunyip

The state of communications, Pt 2

Linked to this is railway lines. How durable are they? I presume that bridges are subject to the same impacts as the similarly structured road bridges, as per up thread (somewhere).

The thing is, rail is a very energy efficient mode of transport. Even a short or moderate long section of continuous rail, in the right place, can open up the opportunities for a lucky community. The ability to link primary resources with processing tech, and a workforce, could be a game changer for the right community in the right place.

Also, motor vehicles can have their suspension easily reconfigured from road to rail operation. There are also dual suspension "hi-rail" vehicles .

And don't forget sheet metal covered wooden railed tramways.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:00 AM   #217
Luke Bunyip

The state of communications, Pt 2 1/2

The thing is, if you've got a regional transport line, you can run a series of semaphore stations along it.

This most probably won't fit, setting wise, but I seen it used as an element of a rather quirky SF fiction series set in a dystopic AtE South Eastern Australia. Ciphers and cryptography were major plot elements. Which reminds me... libraries.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:18 AM   #218
Luke Bunyip

The state of communications, Pt 2 3/4

In the afore mentioned series of sci-fi books (by Sean McMullen's Great Winter series and the book Mirror Sun Rising) one of the dominant power structures in the reborn society is that of the Librarians. the keepers of knowledge. They resolve seniority conflicts by duels using wheel lock pistols.

The salient point is that a new Librarian gets in charge, and (surprise) she's a GE human hybrid (aka a super). She takes advantage of the data transfer capacity of the network of semaphore stations, and she builds a computer to manage it all. Thing is, the computer is a multi-storied building, housing a bunch of nerdy teenagers, press ganged accountants, and maths teachers. Each person becomes a literal component or processor of the computer/building.

tl;dr The super Librarian manages to use a computer building complex full of numerate people, to extend her control over all of the neighbouring settlements. And then the computer's components mutiny, and stage a breakout. Hilarity ensues, as does the numerous discharges of gun powder.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #219
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
The state of communications, Pt 2

Linked to this is railway lines. How durable are they?
There are plenty of abandoned rail lines we can look at for examples. From experience just looking at them, I wouldn't want to run a train over them without repairs, but you shouldn't need actual new rail, there should be plenty of rail in good enough shape that you could salvage it.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #220
tshiggins

Benjamin Franklin primarily made his fortune by setting up North America's first information network, which I think he'd sold to investors before the Revolutionary War.

He had a chain of about three dozen post offices, with their own local carriers, that stretched from Nova Scotia to Cuba. About every fourth post office, he had a printing press.

While Franklin didn't *quite* have a monopoly on information creation and propagation in eastern North America, it was pretty darn close.

If Franklin could do that with 18th Century tech, I'd imagine someone in a post-apoc setting could do the same, as long as sufficient order existed to allow the mail to get through, most of the time.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate