Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #41
Otaku

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#17): Brachiator; Clinging; Super Climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Any playable character with clinging won't be realistic. It would be a very odd game if it involved non-sapient geckos. Perhaps he can be friends with the psychic muffin.
Depends on what you mean by "realistic"; I usually try to avoid the term since the entire point of role-playing is that it isn't real, and sticking to truly realistic role-playing tends to be boring, since you should probably be running a character almost exactly like yourself, living a life almost exactly like your own.

GURPS does well with giving you the option of running a setting with a realistic tone that contains fantastic elements; technology that may never exist, magic, super powers, etc. It might just be my own warped thinking, but I usually use "realistic" in terms of whether or not a game uses "harsh realism", is like the real world, is "cinematic" (larger than life, but not overtly absurd), to silly (larger than life including the absurd), with varying shades in between.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #42
whswhs

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#17): Brachiator; Clinging; Super Climbing

Quote:
Any playable character with clinging won't be realistic. It would be a very odd game if it involved non-sapient geckos. Perhaps he can be friends with the psychic muffin.
Since Clinging is marked as an exotic advantage, it's clearly not a realistic advantage for normal humans. So if I build a human character with Clinging, they're a super or a cyborg or a magically empowered adventurer or the like.

There are rolls that it's more fun to disregard in cinematic or four-color campaigns; that's what the No Nuisance Rolls perk is for in GURPS Supers. Spider-man repeatedly failing to find a handy building and plummeting multiple stories to the street would make a pretty unsatisfactory supers campaign. There are other rolls that shouldn't even be made in realistic games, because they aren't relevant to the theme of the campaign. For example, people fall down stairs and injure themselves every single day, but I wouldn't ask for a Climbing or even a DX roll, even one with bad consequences only for critical failure, to descend a properly constructed staircase; the resulting visit to the hospital, and perhaps the consequent weeks in a cast or a hospital bed, would just be a distraction. Those two considerations strike me as more than sufficient to just accept that creatures with the ability to run on walls, such as geckos or spiders, aren't going to have to roll to use that ability, even if realistically they do sometimes fall off.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #43
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Clinging [20] (p. B43; P45) [...]The actual text on p. B43 says you can walk or climb, but p. P45 seems to indicate otherwise as that requires a specific Enhancement: I suspect there is some middle ground where both statements are true but I failed to learn the specifics. When moving along a surface via Clinging, there is no Climbing roll required, and your pace is half Basic Move.
[...]
Clinging can be Enhanced with Attraction (+25%) (p. P45) if you want to stick to the surface with any part of your body and allows you to walk instead of crawl up walls.
The difference is Mostly the Half move

Take for example Spider Man, He can "stand" on the Ceiling however if he want move he when he moves ha has to be careful and goes at half move.

But Counterweight and Zero-G can threat the ceiling as of it was the floor because to them it was "down" so could move with at full move, if the feel the fell to the ceiling while the had defined the ceiling as down.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #44
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
The difference is Mostly the Half move

Take for example Spider Man, He can "stand" on the Ceiling however if he want move he when he moves ha has to be careful and goes at half move.

But Counterweight and Zero-G can threat the ceiling as of it was the floor because to them it was "down" so could move with at full move, if the feel the fell to the ceiling while the had defined the ceiling as down.
I... don't follow.

My comment was about how in the initial Basic Set description for Clinging it mentions your character can walk or crawl, but in Powers it says to walk you need a particular Enhancement. I mentioned neither Counterweight nor Zero-G: what are those from?

As for half move, that is part of the description in Basic Set. So while this may be obvious to others I am still totally lost. @_@
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #45
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Counterweight and Zero-G are from Power Pack. [during the period Jack had the Gravity power he called himself Counterweight, Zero-G is Alex who normally has that power]

This Difference is Attraction isn't limited to Half-move. They can use any body part to Cling is because the is not different the the ground to them.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #46
Not

Quote:
Is the psychic muffin your off-the-cuff invention, or has a character sheet been sighted 'round here? I rather like the idea of a muffin that knows I'm thinking of it in an impure fashion.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #47
Sindri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Is the psychic muffin your off-the-cuff invention, or has a character sheet been sighted 'round here? I rather like the idea of a muffin that knows I'm thinking of it in an impure fashion.
It's one of the forum's in jokes. Started here
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=31887
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #48
Not

For the purpose of pricing, how common are magnetic surfaces?
Old 11-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #49
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
For the purpose of pricing, how common are magnetic surfaces?
The Magnetic limitation for Telekinesis is -50%. That's probably appropriate here too.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #50
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Depends on what you mean by "realistic"; I usually try to avoid the term since the entire point of role-playing is that it isn't real, and sticking to truly realistic role-playing tends to be boring, since you should probably be running a character almost exactly like yourself, living a life almost exactly like your own.
Real world animals and even aliens are completely realistic, just not real. Humanity has incredible variability. Playing someone like me would be beyond boring as I'm a near shut in with what I call social retardation.

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, brachiator, clinging, super climbing, [basic]