Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-30-2019, 10:29 PM   #1
draxdeveloper

Default More modular mechas weapons

So, i am reading modular mecha article from pyramid 3/51 and i was thinking if i would be able to add some extra weapon options? Or maybe even extra features (in fact i added impressive looks to the features)

Anyway, i think the features are good enough (but again, extra features would not hurt if someone have suggestions)

In fact, i am trying to add the weapons from heavy arms. We have some of then... But not all of then.

https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/XXXG-...ndam_Heavyarms

The main difference here is that the caliber of the weapons are heavier and some of them are variations that i don't know the details.

I can use railgun for vulcan and maybe machine gun? (but the caliber for vulcan is 60mm and machine gun is 120mm)

Chest Gattling Gun... Don't know the details, i will try to look on it.

Homing Missile and Micro Missile i can de missile pods... But don't know if heavy arms missile are more powerful

Beam Gattling... I am confused here... It's says beam but i don't have sure if is a real beam weapon or it's just a name? A particle beam would cover here, maybe?

Also the army knife and shield are build in so i can just say that are build in or what?

In the end, it's seems that are just more powerful version of the weapons... How could i do this? (like making a 120mm bullet o0 )
draxdeveloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: More modular mechas weapons

Particle beams are probably appropriate for Gundam series beam weapons - while the weapons themselves are superscience, their performance (namely their ability to penetrate armor) is fairly consistent with particle beams, and I think a few series may actually refer to them as such. Spaceships guns, however, are quite unlike normal firearms - the bullets are actually missiles with lower-than-normal delta-v, and that get the bulk of their velocity from an initial push. Think of them as a fusion of conventional (or gauss/grav) gun and missile. A slugthrower-wielding mobile suit should have its weapons as scaled up versions of man-portable (or even mounted) weapons. One quick-and-dirty way to scale up is to work out what percentage of a typical user’s (one who meets MinST) BL the weapon weighs and what percentage of said typical user’s HP an average hit deals, then scale these up to your mech. Another one is to take the weapon’s original caliber, compare to the new caliber, and scale damage the same way SS would for major batteries. For weight, I’d suggest scaling to SM (x3 for +1, x10 for +2, x30 for +3, etc).

For example, just throwing numbers out, let’s say you have a 10mm pistol that weighs 3 lb, deals 3d damage, and has MinST 10. You want to scale this up to an SM+5 (dST 20) mecha. Under the first scheme, the pistol weighs 15% BL and deals 105% HP damage. dST 20 means a BL of 4 tons, so our scaled up pistol should weigh 0.6 tons, or 1,200 lb. For damage, it should average 21 dHP - so, damage is 6d.

Under the second scheme, our new pistol should be 70 mm in caliber (each +1 SM would be +1 step on the Size and Speed/Range table). For weight, this calls for +5 SM, which is x300, or 900 lb. For damage, we see damage scales linearly with caliber, so 3d becomes 21d. However, we need to divide by 10 to get dDamage, so we’re looking at 2.1d, which rounds down to 2d.

Note the second scheme basically scales things for bullets the same way SS does for beams, but the first scheme will make bullets become more powerful more quickly than beams as SM increases, unless I’m misreading things.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:02 PM   #3
draxdeveloper

Default Re: More modular mechas weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Particle beams are probably appropriate for Gundam series beam weapons - while the weapons themselves are superscience, their performance (namely their ability to penetrate armor) is fairly consistent with particle beams, and I think a few series may actually refer to them as such. Spaceships guns, however, are quite unlike normal firearms - the bullets are actually missiles with lower-than-normal delta-v, and that get the bulk of their velocity from an initial push. Think of them as a fusion of conventional (or gauss/grav) gun and missile. A slugthrower-wielding mobile suit should have its weapons as scaled up versions of man-portable (or even mounted) weapons. One quick-and-dirty way to scale up is to work out what percentage of a typical user’s (one who meets MinST) BL the weapon weighs and what percentage of said typical user’s HP an average hit deals, then scale these up to your mech. Another one is to take the weapon’s original caliber, compare to the new caliber, and scale damage the same way SS would for major batteries. For weight, I’d suggest scaling to SM (x3 for +1, x10 for +2, x30 for +3, etc).

For example, just throwing numbers out, let’s say you have a 10mm pistol that weighs 3 lb, deals 3d damage, and has MinST 10. You want to scale this up to an SM+5 (dST 20) mecha. Under the first scheme, the pistol weighs 15% BL and deals 105% HP damage. dST 20 means a BL of 4 tons, so our scaled up pistol should weigh 0.6 tons, or 1,200 lb. For damage, it should average 21 dHP - so, damage is 6d.

Under the second scheme, our new pistol should be 70 mm in caliber (each +1 SM would be +1 step on the Size and Speed/Range table). For weight, this calls for +5 SM, which is x300, or 900 lb. For damage, we see damage scales linearly with caliber, so 3d becomes 21d. However, we need to divide by 10 to get dDamage, so we’re looking at 2.1d, which rounds down to 2d.

Note the second scheme basically scales things for bullets the same way SS does for beams, but the first scheme will make bullets become more powerful more quickly than beams as SM increases, unless I’m misreading things.

Thank you, exactly this i needed. The article already have the weapons. But the higgest caliber is 64 when i need 60mm and 120mm... Don't know if would be too powerful, i will need to scale to discover
draxdeveloper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha