Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2015, 02:18 AM   #1
scc

Default [Space] Changes to the Wordbuilding Sequance

OK, I'm getting back into some stuff, hopefully, and I was looking over some stuff, and I've thought that the world design sequence could do with some tweaking for some time and I thought I'd air my thoughts with the rest of the hive, to see if they've got any suggestions.

1) A pre-designed world should be limited to basic type but no details, otherwise Steps 21 and 22 get too complicated.

2) Step 29 should be done before steps 26-28. Why? Sometimes the results from Step 29 give a moon or even planet of minimum molecular weight retained of a larger size object, which can be pretty important.

For example I have a planet in a multi-star system I'm working on, a Standard (Garden) world, that for some reason ended up with 4 moons (Don't ask, I can't remember). It's fourth moon (The inner most) is Small(Rock) with a Black Body Temperature of 287.72, density of 0.7 of Earth, and a diameter of .83 of Earth, this means it's MWWR is 9.85, well into Standard territory, so it should probably be a Garden world
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:26 AM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: [Space] Changes to the Wordbuilding Sequance

I don't see what's so complicated about steps 21 and 22.

And I don't think it's physically possible for a small rockball at that distance to get a diameter that big. I just ran the maximum value at that temperature and it was 0.61. Looks like you accidentally generated a Standard sized moon.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:48 AM   #3
scc

With a pre-designed world 21 and 22 get complicated, or at least fiddly, because you've got to fit a planet with a previously set temperature, and thus distance from the star, in there. You've got to either change every orbit between that planet and the first gas giant or change the planet's temprature.

Are you saying that the density shouldn't have been allowed to go that high?
Old 10-23-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
With a pre-designed world 21 and 22 get complicated, or at least fiddly, because you've got to fit a planet with a previously set temperature, and thus distance from the star, in there. You've got to either change every orbit between that planet and the first gas giant or change the planet's temprature.

Are you saying that the density shouldn't have been allowed to go that high?
If I've got a predesigned world I don't bother to place the first gas giant. I just let it end up where ever it ends up. And no. I'm not saying that. I'm saying it's impossible under the rules to generate a small world with that density at that temperature which is that large. You accidentally generated a standard sized moon by looking at the wrong column.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #5
scc

No, the values are good, but it looks like as density goes down and/or gravity goes up there's a chance that it will change size.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:01 PM   #6
David Johnston2

I'm pretty sure they aren't.

287.72/.7 equals 411.03. Square root of that is 20.27. Times 0.03, the maximum value for a small world and you get 0.61 diameter. It is impossible to get more.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:37 PM   #7
scc

Found the problem, I had the formula entered into Clac wrong, and as basically treating diameter as gravity and vice versa, no problems until working no MWWR

Tags
space, world development