Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
stix101

Default Munchkin Cthulhu Question Cultist Card

This is technically two questions, but it is about the same action.

Everyone was level nine, and we were all cultists except one guy who had a cultist card not in use. The woman whose turn it was was about to defeat her monster, netting her the win.

The cultist card guy immediately used his card to make himself a cultist, ending the game. She then attempted to play O'Ryleh.

First: If everyone is a cultist and the same level, do we all win?

Second: Can O'Ryleh be used on items someone has just equipped? Like, for instance, the cultist card?
stix101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Munchkin Cthulhu Question Cultist Card

You can't play a Class card when it's not your turn unless you've just received it, which isn't the case here. So that wasn't a legal play in the first place. But let's assume he used Sudden Head Blow to make himself a Cultist, which would be legal.

1) If everyone is the same Level when the game ends, all players win.

2) O R'lyeh? can cancel ANY just-played card, including a Class card.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

I'd like to add that the word "equipped" is not appropriate for something like a Class. This is because you become a Class, you don't put one on. Equipped is more appropriate to an Item, which you use, using the game's terminology. I'm choosing to be a little pedantic here since you can choose to not use an Item you have in play (i.e., unequip) and keep it in play, but you can't choose to not be a Class you currently are and keep the Class in play since you must discard it.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
stix101

Thanks for the reply, and I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. I meant the Cultist Membership Card, which is an item.

Although that is good to know about O'Ryleh.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
Brf

If that card was already in play, I do not believe O'Ryleh could be used to cancel it. If it was not already in play, it could not be played, since it was not the owning munchkin's turn, unless the card says it can be played to the table on another player's turn.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
stix101

It was on the table but sideways. However, the card says "Whenever you wish" so we let him play it. It's... a complicated card.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Clipper

Then it's a legal play and everybody won the game as Level 9 Cultists.

You don't have to turn the Cult Membership Card (the core set one, not the Promo card) sideways when you are choosing to not be a Cultist, you just keep it in use and state what you want it to be at any time. Given that you can put an Item in use any time you're not in combat, it's legal for him to do what he did anyway. Also, O R'lyeh wouldn't work as a cancel as the card wasn't just played.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
UncleTupelo

I hope this is the right place to ask this....

What happens to any subsequent class cards once you're a cultist? For example, on my first draw I get a cultist card - as the game goes on, I draw an Investigator, a Monster Whacker, and a Cultist card.

If I understand things correctly - I'm already a cultist, so I can't change my class, I can't "carry" the cards and I can't discard anything from the five cards in my hand?
UncleTupelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Clipper

Yep, unless you become a Super Munchkin, those cards are stuck in your hand until you are forced to give them away or discard them via Charity.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTupelo View Post
I hope this is the right place to ask this....
Sometimes, it's just best to create a brand new thread if your question isn't a follow up to the original question. That way, you don't have to wonder if you're doing something wrong.

Quote:
What happens to any subsequent class cards once you're a cultist? For example, on my first draw I get a cultist card - as the game goes on, I draw an Investigator, a Monster Whacker, and a Cultist card.

If I understand things correctly - I'm already a cultist, so I can't change my class, I can't "carry" the cards and I can't discard anything from the five cards in my hand?
Bear in mind that you are never forced to become a Class just because you drew it. So, if you didn't want to be a Cultist when you drew the card, you didn't have to play the card. It should just go into your hand. The only time you are required to become a Cultist is when another card says so and there are Cultist cards in the special Cultist discard pile, as mentioned in the rules.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote