Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-02-2018, 06:02 PM   #1
Kesendeja

Default Force Shield Power Question

How would you go about duplicating the Force Shield using Powers/Advantages?
Old 08-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Force Shield Power Question

Enhanced Block for the defense bonus.
The shield itself depends on the setting, Accessory Perk if they are available, Extra Arm with Weapon Mount and Force Extension (from stretching) for a Supers game. Its come up on the forums a few times so a search should find earlier threads.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:26 AM   #3
Jareth Valar

Wouldn't it be all of the enhanced defenses? I thought the DB for shields added to all defense rolls.

If that's the case, that would be crazy expensive.
Jareth Valar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:22 PM   #4
Daigoro

Perhaps start with DR with Left Arm Only + Force Field.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:30 AM   #5
Jareth Valar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Perhaps start with DR with Left Arm Only + Force Field.
The biggest bonus, IMHO, to use a shield, force or otherwise, would be the DB, not the DR. DR can be gained in so many different ways yet using a shield is the only way I have seen to get a DB (without buying 3 advantages that is)

Also, the DR for a shield only effects the durability of the shield on a miss, it has nothing to do with the character.

I've tried a couple of builds for this and can't seems to be able to replicate a force shield with advantages/powers for less than 100+ (and my search-fu must be infant weak, as I haven't found any other thread referencing this)
Old 08-05-2018, 01:12 AM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareth Valar View Post
The biggest bonus, IMHO, to use a shield, force or otherwise, would be the DB, not the DR. DR can be gained in so many different ways yet using a shield is the only way I have seen to get a DB (without buying 3 advantages that is)

Also, the DR for a shield only effects the durability of the shield on a miss, it has nothing to do with the character.

I've tried a couple of builds for this and can't seems to be able to replicate a force shield with advantages/powers for less than 100+ (and my search-fu must be infant weak, as I haven't found any other thread referencing this)
Accessory perk (Shield) is cannon. or buy it as a gadget if its beyond normal capabilities. Cost based on DB for Block and the limited bonus to Dodge or Parry (p. B374) is just a function of using it.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:14 AM   #7
whswhs

Are you trying to duplicate a particular ability from a particular source that's called "force shield"? Or are you working with a generic idea of what a force shield is? In either case, what do you think is essential to it in non-game-mechanical terms?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:19 AM   #8
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Accessory perk (Shield)
Equipment Perks still retain the drawbacks of the equivalent equipment -- in this case, occupying one of your arms, requiring a successful Block roll, having weight, and causing penalties in close combat. I wouldn't allow a zero-weight shield, summonable and dismissable instantly, for a mere 1 CP. But if it's exactly like a regular shield, just built into your body (permanently welded to your robot arm, perhaps), sure.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #9
Jareth Valar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Equipment Perks still retain the drawbacks of the equivalent equipment -- in this case, occupying one of your arms, requiring a successful Block roll, having weight, and causing penalties in close combat. I wouldn't allow a zero-weight shield, summonable and dismissable instantly, for a mere 1 CP. But if it's exactly like a regular shield, just built into your body (permanently welded to your robot arm, perhaps), sure.
What about a Force Shield Bracelet that runs off of internal power and not a C-cell?

Also, how do make something a gadget? I see the Gadgeteer and Gizmo advantages, but nothing else and I don't see anything under the equipment itself either.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:57 PM   #10
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareth Valar View Post
Also, how do make something a gadget?
Generally speaking, when someone in GURPS says to "build something as a Gadget", they're referring to building an ability with advantages, modified with the Gadget limitations, which are found on pp. B116-117. So, in this case, if you wanted to build something like the force shield bracelet from Ultra-Tech (p. 192), you'd take the advantages Damage Resistance and three levels of the Defense Bonus meta-trait (which is composed of all three of the Enhanced Defenses advantages), and give them both the limitations of Breakable (the bracelet itself is probably DR 15 or so, and SM -7 or -8, so this is -15%) and Can Be Stolen, thief must win a Quick Contest of DX, works for the thief, -30%.

So, the final ability would look something like this:

Shield Bracelet: Defense Bonus 3 (Directional, Front and Right Only, -15%; Breakable, DR 15, SM-7, -15%; Can Be Stolen, Thief must win a Quick Contest of DX, -30%) [36] + DR 100 (Directional, Front and Right Only, -15%; Breakable, DR 15, SM-7, -15%; Can Be Stolen, Thief must win a Quick Contest of DX, -30%; Requires Active Defense, -40%) [100].
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, powers