Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #41
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Alternate Crosstime Organizations

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Neither- Illithids breed parasitially/necromatically by inserting a 'dumb' 'larva' into the ear of a restrained host, the larva eats and integrates with the brain giving it the powerful psycic powers; what ultimately emerges is a fusion of the 'host' and the 'larva', not quite 100% of either- so the Illithids are completely on the ball with humans/humanoids having psycic powers (they 'activate' those powers during there fusion).

Having pre-psycic humanoids would either mean better 'breeding stock' for making new Illithids, or a tastier and more nutritious treat. If the psi powers seem to be genetic you can expect them to initiate measures to encourage the birth of more psycics.

I further envision that they do have some limited way to induce psycic powers in most humanoids, and do so for there chosen priests and priestesses in order to give some more 'legitimacy' to the religion (kind of a 'scientology that actually works'- if you simply give yourself over to DOTU, reject your unnatural actions completely, you too can be a perfect ten on the attractiveness scale and move things with your mind)
Wait, are we basing this off of WotC or off of Stargate? I suppose we can use both sources.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #42
Flyndaran
Untagged

If they were really a fusion, then many would rebel and try to protect humanity. The fact that none do, pretty much shows that that is some odd lie. Illithid are monsters that only physically take on some characteristics of the food-host.
We also have the unreliable narrator to deal with. It's not like the Illithid themselves can't be wrong about how they develop in the same way ancient humans had odd ideas of our reproduction.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #43
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
If they were really a fusion, then many would rebel and try to protect humanity. The fact that none do, pretty much shows that that is some odd lie. Illithid are monsters that only physically take on some characteristics of the food-host.
We also have the unreliable narrator to deal with. It's not like the Illithid themselves can't be wrong about how they develop in the same way ancient humans had odd ideas of our reproduction.
That would assume a roughly equal fusion, or that the fusion process leave anything even vaguely resembling the host behind.

If your taking the reflexes, memories, organs, and logic centers, but completly replacing the higher brain functions, base desires and wants with that of the 'larva'- then your not going to see too many rebellions; but its still a fusion (in that two things are coming together to make a greater whole).

The fusion might instead be more of a 'battle' where the larva and the mind of the 'host' fight for control of the new illithid/human brain; routing out potential remnants is pretty easy in that case: If it turns into an illthid in body, 'larva' is in control- if it stays humanoid, human is in control. It might even be how they induce psi powers into humanoids- purposely select weak, or even purposely lobotomized 'larva' to implant into chosen agents.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:56 PM   #44
Paulon

In the original D&D source material (The Illithiad for 2nd edition and Lords of Madness for 3rd edition), the tadpole larva eats most of the hosts brain, and replaces the consumed material with itself as it grows. The rest of the host body is retained and converted, but the original brain is lunch.
Paulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:02 PM   #45
Flyndaran
Untagged

D&D monsters have changed over the years, sometimes strangely and extensively.
Anyone else remember when kobolds were dog-like rather than weirdly reptilian?
Old 12-09-2016, 12:22 AM   #46
Tyneras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
D&D monsters have changed over the years, sometimes strangely and extensively.
Anyone else remember when kobolds were dog-like rather than weirdly reptilian?
I keep both versions, with kobold being more of a category of "small, menacing, tribal and makes traps" rather than a distinct species. Which nicely leaves the door open to feathery or amphibious kobolds as a surprise.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:45 AM   #47
David Johnston2

The Amethyne Royals. In a Bronze Age version of France there is a highly anachronistic city named "Amethyst" with titanium alloy swords, steam engines and electric lights, and it's all thanks to the ruling family of Amethyst all of whom are immortals who have the power to create portals to other universes. Calling them an organization might be an overstatement since they spent most of their time divided into factions at odds with each other and have ever since the founder of Amethyst disappeared but they are mostly capable of drawing together if they perceive a parachronic threat to their family or their city.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:02 AM   #48
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
The Transcendent

The Transcendent is a war schooner of unidentifiable make and no noticable national markings. It opperates partially by unknown magic or psionic acitivty (even works in magic or psi blocked worlds),
Um, what? There are no worlds that block Psi, Psi doesn't work on something that varies in nature like mana. I mean you could have one, but that would require every living thing or the world itself to posses the Anti-Psi power, which means that Psi powers still sort-of work, and if you could find a counter to that your powers would work fine.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:08 AM   #49
Tyneras

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Um, what? There are no worlds that block Psi, Psi doesn't work on something that varies in nature like mana. I mean you could have one, but that would require every living thing or the world itself to posses the Anti-Psi power, which means that Psi powers still sort-of work, and if you could find a counter to that your powers would work fine.
I see nothing wrong with saying "Psi doesn't work here", same as "Non-mana based magic doesn't work here" or "Superpowers don't work here" or "Chi powers doesn't work here" or even "artificial electricity doesn't work here".
Old 12-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #50
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
The Amethyne Royals. In a Bronze Age version of France there is a highly anachronistic city named "Amethyst" with titanium alloy swords, steam engines and electric lights, and it's all thanks to the ruling family of Amethyst all of whom are immortals who have the power to create portals to other universes. Calling them an organization might be an overstatement since they spent most of their time divided into factions at odds with each other and have ever since the founder of Amethyst disappeared but they are mostly capable of drawing together if they perceive a parachronic threat to their family or their city.
Usually the parachronic threats to their city are the family. Often in league with the Courts of Chao -- err, I mean Onyx. :^)
William is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign design, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited, worldlines