Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #1
hcobb

Default What skill is the main-gauche under?

ITL41: "Any character can fight with two weapons at once – if one of the weapons is a dagger, main- gauche, or spike shield"

So if you aren't using the Fencer bonuses a main-gauche rolls to hit with the Knife talent and has a defensive benefit if you have the Shield talent?

How much damage does it do when striking outside of HTH? Same as the dagger? Can you carry an ordinary dagger around in your left hand to defend and attack with and save $10 and 0.3 pounds of weight?

Can you cast the Staff spell on a silver main-gauche and use it to take the defend option while using your Staff of Power free action strike against a foe two hexes behind you?
Old 10-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
TippetsTX

Default Re: What skill is the main-gauche under?

I was wondering that myself actually. I assumed it would fall under Knife, if you use it as a dagger, but the weapon listing for main-gauche is on the table for shields so does that mean the defensive use falls under the Shield talent?

Or maybe you must have the Fencing talent to use it in either mode; offensive or defensive? That seems unlikely, though.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 10-13-2018 at 07:46 PM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #3
TippetsTX

Default Re: What skill is the main-gauche under?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
How much damage does it do when striking outside of HTH? Same as the dagger? Can you carry an ordinary dagger around in your left hand to defend and attack with and save $10 and 0.3 pounds of weight?
From an offensive standpoint, I would say yes, same damage as a dagger. Using a normal dagger in place of a main-gauche defensively, however, would not be equal IMO. A main-gauche is typically sturdier than a dagger so I would rule that while you could use one in conjunction w/ Fencing, you would not get the benefit of subtracting 1 hit from damage taken.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote