Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #51
whswhs

Default Re: Help with the Actions of an NPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Yes. People then used their visiting cards (if they had visiting cards) to establish their identities. Lots of personal effects had names, initials, or monograms engraved in or stamped on them, and well-made clothes had embroidered labels with the name of the customer, not the tailor. There is a scene in one of the early "Saint" stories in which Chief Inspector Teal looks inside Peter Quentin's jacket to check his claim that he is Simon Templar.
Which rather suggests that this person will look a bit dubious, as none of his clothes have his name embroidered on them. Despite old jokes I don't suppose they will record his name as "Calvin Klein."

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:17 PM   #52
tanksoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
So the concept would be readily familiar to clothiers, cobblers, tailors, and materials scientists alike. They might not know what the resin was, but would recognize the mode.
Except that’s not what modern soft body armor resembles.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5sJkBgn_TqA

There’s no resin, it’s just layers of fabric.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:41 PM   #53
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
Except that’s not what modern soft body armor resembles.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5sJkBgn_TqA

There’s no resin, it’s just layers of fabric.
I think the same is true of Casimir Zeglen's bulletproof silk vest c. 1901–1914.

ETA:
A fabric produced there, which is one-eighth of an inch in thickness, four ply, presents this perfection of weave, and all efforts to penetrate it with bullets has proved futile. The Rev. Mr. Zeglen himself submitted to a test in Chicago. He put on a vest of the material and an expert revolver shot fired at the vest at eight paces and no one of the bullets at all disturbed Mr. Zeglen. The weight of the fabric is half a pound to the square foot. It is soft and flexible, so that all kinds of garments can be manufactured out of it. The most practical form of garment is a vest, which can be worn at all times as a protection to life. The second kind of fabric is a simple textile goods, being an inch thick and weighing two pounds to the square foot. This fabric resists and wards off all kinds of leaden bullets from military rifles at any distance, dum-dum bullets at a range of 400 yards and steel bullets at a distance of 800 yards. The third kind of fabric is also of silk, textile, one inch thick, covered on the outside with a steel armor one-sixteenth of an inch in thickness. The silk and steel together weigh four pounds to the square foot, and the armor wards off steel bullets from military rifles at a range of 250 yards. The same steel bullets can be warded off at a range of 200, 100 and 50 yards, but the steel armor must be increased to the thickness of one-tenth of an inch and at a range of 50 yards to one-eight of an inch.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 07-11-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:54 PM   #54
tanksoldier

Quote:
I think the same is true of Casimir Zeglen's bulletproof silk vest c. 1901–1914.
Right, I'm just saying they won't think it's some kind of resin impregnated fabric... a modern soft vest isn't built that way.

They will recognize it for what it is, and recognize it's advanced qualities if they test it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
His first assumption would be that the products were rare but could be traced on Earth.
One or two things, maybe... multiple examples, doubtful.

I think you're assuming a Chief Inspector is as obtuse as ACD made them out to be.

Last edited by tanksoldier; 07-11-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:15 PM   #55
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
Right, I'm just saying they won't think it's some kind of resin impregnated fabric... a modern soft vest isn't built that way.
Quite. The item in the anomalous bloke is wearing is not resin-impregnated cloth. The bullet-proof vests that the NPCs might be familiar with are not resin-impregnated cloth. There is no resin-impregnated cloth in question.

I've lost track of the conversation.

Quote:
Quote:
His first assumption would be that the products were rare but could be traced on Earth.
I didn't write that.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:26 PM   #56
tanksoldier

Quote:
I've lost track of the conversation.
ak_aramis wrote that they would be familiar with resin impregnated cloth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
starched linen armor dates back to Roman Republic-era ... linen armor is a known historical thing.

Likewise, wax-soaked leather was in use in the 18th C, and into the 19th in the Orient. And for men's shoe uppers. From which we get the wonderful tradition of spit-shining our boots.

Women's shoes have been hardened with various resins and resin-like substances, including wax, pine resin, pitch, tar, hide glue, and more, for centuries.

So the concept would be readily familiar to clothiers, cobblers, tailors, and materials scientists alike. They might not know what the resin was, but would recognize the mode.
I was pointing out that modern soft body armors don't resemble resin impregnated cloth in any way.

Quote:
I didn't write that.

True. Bad cite. Fixing.

Last edited by tanksoldier; 07-11-2018 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:45 AM   #57
The Colonel

Sorry - the resin was my mistake, I was thinking of a hard panel vest.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote