Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #1
Gardensnake

Default Katrina

I just got the Munchkin 4: The Need for Steed expansion and opened it up. Right on the bottom of one of the packs of cards was probably the most offensive card I have ever seen in Munchkin, Katrina. Wow! I wasn't even in the region when Katrina hit Louisiana but even I am shocked anyone would put a card like that in a game set. It's a free country and Steve Jackson can design any card they please, but wow that caught me off guard.

William
Gardensnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:20 AM   #2
orcbgone

Default Re: Katrina

Well, what was offensive about it? Like did it have more than just name?

I'm not trying to be an ass, I don't have Need For Steed, so I can't see its art or read its text.
orcbgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:39 AM   #3
Gardensnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcbgone View Post
Well, what was offensive about it? Like did it have more than just name?

I'm not trying to be an ass, I don't have Need For Steed, so I can't see its art or read its text.
The art work was of a stylized hurricane and the bad stuff referenced items being blown away. Hurricane Katrina was devastating to the Gulf Coast and New Orleans in particular. It really isn't something I would expect to see in any comical setting. I didn't suffer personally from Katrina, but I know if I had, I certainly wouldn't like a company making light of such a horrible event. People died as a result of Katrina, even in parody I don't think it's appropriate as a joke. It may not have been genuinely offensive but it was quite distasteful. It also really surprised me coming from a company in a state that borders Louisiana.

William
Gardensnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:26 AM   #4
Anh-Dalan

so because people died a reference in a fun game is bad, but making war games is alright? I'm not sure some people are coming to reasonable conclusions nowadays...
Anh-Dalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:33 AM   #5
orcbgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardensnake View Post
The art work was of a stylized hurricane and the bad stuff referenced items being blown away. Hurricane Katrina was devastating to the Gulf Coast and New Orleans in particular. It really isn't something I would expect to see in any comical setting. I didn't suffer personally from Katrina, but I know if I had, I certainly wouldn't like a company making light of such a horrible event. People died as a result of Katrina, even in parody I don't think it's appropriate as a joke. It may not have been genuinely offensive but it was quite distasteful. It also really surprised me coming from a company in a state that borders Louisiana.

William
I know all about that, believe me. But it is crude to just assume so I wanted to be sure. Though I'm pretty sure there are plenty of cards that offend, upset, or at the very least, irritate some people, and others that would find them hilarious. I tend to remove cards during games where players are involved that I know get upset, I play in crowded stores and don't want trouble, :/
orcbgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:06 AM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh-Dalan View Post
so because people died a reference in a fun game is bad, but making war games is alright? I'm not sure some people are coming to reasonable conclusions nowadays...
This comment is a little more antagonistic than I think you realized. Let's keep the discussion friendly, please.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #7
Anh-Dalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
This comment is a little more antagonistic than I think you realized. Let's keep the discussion friendly, please.
wasn't meant to - I apologize sincerely.

I merely wanted to state that the game's intention is surely not to make fun of people who suffered from any disaster / cathastrophe or other incidents. There are terribly many things being produced that are way more offensive and appaling - in the game sector and other industries.

Last edited by Anh-Dalan; 01-14-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Anh-Dalan is offline   Reply With Quote