Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
Tom Mazanec

Default Request for map help

I am thinking of making a map of my Aesop world and posting it to the board and the GURPS mailing list.
Any tips on where I can get blank world maps?
Advice on how to edit them on my Mac?
And how to post them here/send to the GURPS ML?
Tom Mazanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:27 AM   #2
The Colonel

Default Re: Request for map help

...when you say "blank world maps" ... what do you mean?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #3
Anaraxes

Default Re: Request for map help

Most RPG setting maps I see are simply images. They're made with the image editing program of your choice. Some people use Photoshop or GIMP (as the free, open-source alternative to Photoshop). There is also software written just for the purpose, like Campaign Cartographer and others.

You might put those images into some other format, like PDF, especially if you're adding text as with a description of the setting, history, etc. That would call for a word processing program like MS Word, OpenOffice Writer, etc.

You might use a "structured" or "object-oriented" drawing program like Visio, CorelDraw, Inkscape, etc. These would be a little more appropriate for highly regular, man-made structures like buildings or dungeons where you want a particular floor map to scale.

The web has a number of useful sites showing some tricks and techniques for creating artistic maps using such tools. Painting blobs in flat colors is easy enough, but when you want to start adding textures for trees or shading terrain highlighting, some tutorial examples could come in handy if you're not already a master of such software.

Some games have specific map formats that people sometimes use, like the Traveller world map blank that's a unrolled and flattened icosahedron. But mainly I just see freeform images, rather than ones made to fit a pre-printed grid.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote