Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
Jeminai

Default ST of Elevator doors

In the typical cinematic scene where the hero uses his hands (or a crowbar) to force open elevator doors, what ST should be used to open the doors? Let's just assume typical elevator at the Nakatomi building.

Is there some sort of general rules for this?
Old 12-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: ST of Elevator doors

Hollywood always uses "whatever the hero's maximum effort is" for elevator doors. In reality, there is either a locking mechanism you can't break without specialized tools, or, you can force the doors open with one foot.

So, use whatever ST score would be dramatic enough.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:48 AM   #3
clu2415

Generally, opening elevator doors is done with a hinged tool that activates a catch inside the door. Basically a mechanical switch that triggers the "door open" mechanism. Without activating the switch, you can get the doors an inch or two open, but beyond that you have to break the gears and whatnot holding the door closed.

Source: worked three years in a hotel with buggy elevators.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
Generally, opening elevator doors is done with a hinged tool that activates a catch inside the door. Basically a mechanical switch that triggers the "door open" mechanism. Without activating the switch, you can get the doors an inch or two open, but beyond that you have to break the gears and whatnot holding the door closed.

Source: worked three years in a hotel with buggy elevators.
Word: the GURPS forums rule.

I'm also not beyond making these kinds of things a simple role against ST based Forced Entry.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 12-24-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #5
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I'm also not beyond make these kinds of things a simple role against ST based Forced Entry.
+1. My basic rule of game drama is to keep it simple and keep it moving. You want the players to have a chance of success, a chance of failure, and you want the action to continue on whichever way it goes. If success is guaranteed it doesn't matter, just let them do it with some time. If time is of the essence make them roll and if they fail ratchet up the drama and force them to double-down or make a different choice.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
Anaraxes

Instructions for forcing elevator doors, with pictures, including various sorts of restrictor mechanisms. Intended for firemen, but that's pretty close to "adventurer", except for the part where it's usually the adventurers setting the buildings on fire. They recommend a pry bar and a tool that can drive that pry bar into small spaces, but apparently huge ST isn't required so much as catching the right mechanical bit.

http://www.fireengineering.com/artic...d-to-know.html

Maybe also worth noting that there are usually two sets of doors for pretty passenger elevators like in hotels. One set is mounted to the elevator car and travels with it, and the other set is mounted to the entrances on each floor. The doors per floor sometimes have a key to open those as well, often found in one of those "in case of fire break glass" boxes near the elevator bank.

The door sets have an interlock to make them operate together, but if the elevator car isn't conveniently aligned with the floors, you'll need to open them separately. This is what the hatch on the top of the elevator is for. It's safer to go up the hatch and out the partial door above the car then it is to squeeze through the hole at the bottom of the elevator and the top of the floor below, as the second way risks falling down the open elevator shaft.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #7
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
... The door sets have an interlock to make them operate together, but if the elevator car isn't conveniently aligned with the floors, you'll need to open them separately. This is what the hatch on the top of the elevator is for. ...
Assuming, of course, that there is a hatch on the top of the elevator. Not all elevators have them.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:47 PM   #8
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Assuming, of course, that there is a hatch on the top of the elevator. Not all elevators have them.
Most places have building safety codes that require them. Those also tend to set the maximum force the doors can be closed with, often to something quite low (30 lbf is typical), not so that people can force the doors in an emergency, but so that the door physically can't close with enough force to crush somebody no matter what screws up with the safety stop switches that are supposed to prevent that.

Once the door is all the way closed though, you *do not* want it to be easily opened other than by the mechanism that is supposed to open it, because giving people who do not know what they are doing access to the open shaft is idiotically unsafe. There will be a lock that engages after full closing that is at least as hard to force as any other door designed to keep you out of something that can kill you.

Edit: So essentially, once you disengage or break the lock that stops them from opening the first inch, which is going to be designed to be as close to impossible for a normal person to break as the engineers could get the cost estimators to sign off on, it's easy to push the doors fully open, rarely more than ST 3 or 4.

Last edited by malloyd; 12-24-2016 at 09:12 PM.
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:00 PM   #9
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Instructions for forcing elevator doors, with pictures, including various sorts of restrictor mechanisms. Intended for firemen, but that's pretty close to "adventurer", except for the part where it's usually the adventurers setting the buildings on fire. They recommend a pry bar and a tool that can drive that pry bar into small spaces, but apparently huge ST isn't required so much as catching the right mechanical bit.

http://www.fireengineering.com/artic...d-to-know.html
That seems like a really cool link but doesn't appear to be freely accessible.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:52 AM   #10
NorphTehDwarf

Luck/Serendipity might factor in. I was able to push open stuck elevator doors on like two separate occasions, in one case while the elevator was moving (I was a little drunk; the elevator stopped as a result). I can't be more than ST10, so I must have gotten lucky both times.

Anecdotes=! data, so ymmv.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote