Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #31
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: Challenge: Scaled-down abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanniynim View Post
Sniper's Chameleon Visual Shield Pack [4]
This small backpack allows the wearer to activate it to use the Chameleon ability to gain a +8 to Stealth for 1 hour or until the user moves, whichever is sooner. To activate the pack, the user must sit still for 1 minute while the pack scans the area and begins to project the Chameleon Visual Shield around them and any items they carry up to Light encumbrance. Once the hour is up, or the pack resets due to movement, the system reboots and cannot rescan the area again for 5 minutes. The pack can only be used for 6 hours each day. This depletes the battery, which must then be recharged with the solar panel included with the device. This invention has been implemented in war mainly by snipers and spies during wartime, but other uses can be found by a creative team.
Chameleon 4 (Can Carry Items up to Light Encumbrance +20%; Accessibility: Only while not moving -10%; Gadget: Breakable, DR 2, SM -6 -30%; Gadget: Can be Stolen, Must be Forcefully Removed -10; Immediate Preparation Required: 1 minute -30%; Maximum Duration: 1 hour -10%; Limited Use: 6/day -10%)
Hmmm... the Accessibility limit seems a little undervalued -- Only while swimming is -30%, so only -10% for no movement at all ... I don't know.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #32
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Limited Use and Maximum Duration can't be mixed. The latter can only be used on an ability which you could normally leave on all the time, which doesn't apply to an ability with Limited Use.
How then do I build an ability that starts at a state of always on (e.g. Charisma) and adjust it so I can have it only for four periods per day of 1 hour each?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #33
tanniynim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Control only lasts while you concentrate. You'd have to add Persistent and Extended Duration, Permanent to make it permanent.
That's what I thought.
tanniynim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #34
tanniynim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
How then do I build an ability that starts at a state of always on (e.g. Charisma) and adjust it so I can have it only for four periods per day of 1 hour each?
The description of Maximum Duration seems to indicate it can be used as many times as you want by default (after the 5 minute wait.) I'm with Figleaf on this one. What's the RAW way of doing the above if you can't combine Max Duration and Limited Use? What's the problem combining the two?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #35
tanniynim

Quote:
Hmmm... the Accessibility limit seems a little undervalued -- Only while swimming is -30%, so only -10% for no movement at all ... I don't know.
I wanted to keep it low because Chameleon has an inherent penalty for moving (+1 per level while moving.)
Old 10-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #36
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
One-point Reaction Bonus? I'll take 10! [10], Charisma +10 (50), Sense Based: Vision -20%, Takes Immediate Prep 1min (getting in character and adjusting makeup) -30%, Max Duration 1hr -10%, 4 times/day -20%, net -80%).
Do I need to explain where you're breaking the RAW?
Old 10-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #37
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
Do I need to explain where you're breaking the RAW?
RPK pointed out that Limited Use doesn't go with Minimum Duration. I read the rules and was reminded thereby of the cruel and excessively harsh one-minute-per-activation-for-Advantages with Limited Use.

Now, as I noted above, I'm trying to figure out how to build an advantage that starts always-on but you modify to be usable only for four instances of up to one hour apiece.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #38
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanniynim View Post
I wanted to keep it low because Chameleon has an inherent penalty for moving (+1 per level while moving.)
Ah, that makes sense.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #39
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Limited Use and Maximum Duration out of whack?

I made this a thread of its own...

Last edited by Figleaf23; 11-08-2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #40
Figleaf23
Banned

Helm of Smartness: IQ +1 (20), Maximum Duration 1hr -10%, Temporary Disads -1DX -20% and -1ST -10%, Takes Extra Time 1s -10%, Nuisance effect: makes him sweat -5%, Stealable by forced removal -10%, Breakable DR15 -10%, SM -8 -5%, Net = -80% [4/lvl]

Belt of Quickness: DX+1 (20), Max Dur 30 Minutes -25%, Temporary Disads Incurious -5%, Increased Consumption 1 -10%, Over Confident -5%, Stealable thru forced removal -10%, Breakable DR 15 -10%, SM-6 -10%, Net -75% [5/Lvl]

Suspenders of Might: ST+1 (10), Max Dur 30 Minutes -25%, Temporary Disads -1IQ! -10%, Increased Consumption 1 -10%, Over Confident -5% Stealable thru forced removal -10%, Breakable DR 15 -10%, SM-6 -10%, Net -80% [2/Lvl]

Tags
challenge, powers