Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: Challenge: Scaled-down abilities

Challenge #2

Decidedly cinematic --

Me and My Shadow [7], Duplication 1 (35), No sympathy +20%, Shared resources -40%, Accessibility: activation requires a moderately strong directional light differential (ie. you can cast a shadow) -20%, Once per day (-40%) (Net -80%).
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #12
tanniynim

Alright, so I felt bad using Acute Senses, since it comes in 2 point levels and also felt like a cheater using Gadget limitations, since they're so easy. So I came up with this.

Edit: Also, I considered calling the trigger Rare/Dangerous instead of Occasional/Dangerous, but was really iffy about whether to consider it "Brains in general" or "The brain of a person with this specific information." If you think Rare is the way to go, try using the Sensory Enhancement for +20% and knock Reliable down one level or add a level of Costs Fatigue to balance it out.

#1, Definitely Cinematic

Cannibalistic Brain Probe [4]

After devouring a large portion of a brain, you can access one memory of the subject with a Quick Contest of your IQ+7 vs your subject's Will as per Mind Probe. Preparing and eating a selection takes at least 1 minute and uses up about 1/6 of the total (about 1/2 a pound for an adult human) of the brain. Eating an amount this large makes it difficult to make another attempt immediately, so you must wait an hour before retrying failures or attempting new questions. This disgusting act curdles the stomachs of any non-cannibals around you who see you do it.
Mind Probe (Immediate Preparation Required: 1 minute -30%; Looks Disgusting: -2 to Reactions to those who see you do it -10%; Trigger (Occasional, Dangerous/Illegal) Must eat a large, fresh portion of the subject's brain -45%; Takes Recharge 1 hour -30%; Reliable 7 +35%)

Edit: Changed "Preparation Required" to "Immediate Preparation Required" and added 2 levels of Reliable. I really like the fact that, even though this is absolutely disgusting, if the user does it, they're pretty unlikely to fail.

Last edited by tanniynim; 10-06-2009 at 01:03 PM.
tanniynim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #13
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanniynim View Post
Alright, so I felt bad using Acute Senses, since it comes in 2 point levels and also felt like a cheater using Gadget limitations, since they're so easy. So I came up with this.
I thought they were good. This one, however ...

Quote:

Sounds delicious!

Here's another horror-influenced one --

Flogging Horse [10], Fast Regeneration (50), Temporary disads: monstrous, bad smell, disturbing voice, Cannot Speak (-55%), Night Only (-20%), Requires HT Roll (-5%)(Net -80%).
Old 10-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #14
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:

Edit: Also, I considered calling the trigger Rare/Dangerous instead of Occasional/Dangerous, but was really iffy about whether to consider it "Brains in general" or "The brain of a person with this specific information." If you think Rare is the way to go, try using the Sensory Enhancement for +20% and knock Reliable down one level or add a level of Costs Fatigue to balance it out.

#1, Definitely Cinematic

After devouring a large portion of a brain, you can access one memory of the subject with a Quick Contest of your IQ+5 vs your subject's Will as per Mind Probe. Preparing and eating a selection takes at least 1 minute and uses up about 1/6 of the total (about 1/2 a pound for an adult human) of the brain. Eating an amount this large makes it difficult to make another attempt immediately, so you must wait an hour before retrying failures or attempting new questions. This disgusting act curdles the stomachs of any non-cannibals around you who see you do it.
Mind Probe (Preparation Required: 1 minute -20%; Looks Disgusting: -2 to Reactions to those who see you do it -10%; Trigger (Occasional, Dangerous/Illegal) Must eat a large, fresh portion of the subject's brain -45%; Takes Recharge 1 hour -30%; Reliable 5 +25%)
I would use Immediate Preparation Requited, instead of Preparation Required, but for the rest, I like it. I would model Sylar with simillar modifications (though the main ability would be Neutralize with Power Theft)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #15
tanniynim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
I would use Immediate Preparation Requited, instead of Preparation Required, but for the rest, I like it. I would model Sylar with simillar modifications (though the main ability would be Neutralize with Power Theft)
You know, I actually meant to use Immediate, but didn't. Let's go back and make that change...

Well, now that it's officially a rule in Psionics and I can't find it on P. Kitty's website, I don't remember how much the limitation was worth. Anyone want to remind me?

Last edited by tanniynim; 10-05-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #16
tanniynim

Tormented Channeling [4]
After a short ritual, the Channeler inflicts injury to themselves and attempts to break through the maddening barriers that separate this world from the world of spirits. If successful in avoiding distraction by this terrible psychic travel, the user is able to act as a conduit for ghosts per the Channeling entry on BS41, except the roll is at +5. Their voice is strange and unnatural during the Channeling, however, and obviously not their own.
Channeling (Specialized: Ghosts -50%; Costs HP 1 -10%; Requires Successful Fright Check to Activate -15%*; Temporary Disadvantage: Disturbing Voice -10%; Reliable 5 +25%)

I used 10% for "Requires Successful Fright Check to Activate" based upon the information in this thread. Does anyone think this is too much or too little? EDIT: Changed "Requires Successful Fright Check" to 15% per recommendations later in the thread. Increased Reliable to 5 to compensate.

Also meant to mention that this ability could easily be customized further by changing the Specialization or increasing or decreasing levels of Reliable.

Last edited by tanniynim; 10-06-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #17
tanniynim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post

Flogging Horse [10], Fast Regeneration (50), Temporary disads: monstrous, bad smell, disturbing voice, Cannot Speak (-55%), Night Only (-20%), Requires HT Roll (-5%)(Net -80%).
Can you combine Disturbing Voice and Cannot Speak?
Old 10-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #18
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Can you combine Disturbing Voice and Cannot Speak?
Whoops, I should proof-read myself a little better!

Back to the drawing board...
Old 10-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #19
SuedodeuS

Slow Paralysis [4]

This is a specialized technique involving exotic strikes by the user's fingers and knuckles. By striking precise points, the user can slowly cripple his opponent. An exceptionally skilled user can strike the foe multiple times before he ever feels it. This is a highly cinematic technique. It uses multiplicative modifiers.

Impaling Innate Attack 1 point [2]
Delay (variable, 0-10 seconds) +10%
No Signature +20%
Symptoms +520%
..1/3 HP = One Arm +210%
---special effect - arm isn't lost
..1/2 HP = No Arms +180%
..2/3 HP = Quadriplegic +130%
Contact Agent -30%
No Blunt Trauma -20%
Melee Attack (range C) -30%
-Cost = 2.6->[3]

Alternate Ability
-as above, but causes Lame (Crippled Leg), Paraplegic, and Quadriplegic
-Cost =[1]

Total price = [4]

Tactics: Don't use this against armor - seriously, you're just wasting your time. For maximum bad-assery, make your first attack(s) with a 10-second delay. The next round, go with a 9-second delay. And so on. Do it right, and by around the 10th round the enemy will simply yelp in pain and fall to the ground, crippled. Against tougher foes, either go with no delay or shorten the initial (so start with 5 seconds or so). Although One Arm normally applies to your offhand, I think with the left over 0.4 points (to get price up to 3) it would be legitimate to upgrade to crippling the main hand (or, rather, whichever arm you choose). With a Perk, you needn't specify which ability (arm or leg) you are using until the crippling effect comes into play. In fact, you could specify one arm and one leg at the 1/2 HP mark.

Non-RAW: No Arms is basically meant to be in between No Fine Manipulators and No Manipulators. The point is that you lose the ability to punch (which you'd retain with No Fine Manipulators) or do anything else with that arm, but can still manipulate things a bit with your legs. As for the Perk, that just seemed like a logical choice for this ability, but shouldn't be free... thus, Perk.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #20
SuedodeuS

Quote:
I used 10% for "Requires Successful Fright Check to Activate" based upon the information in this thread. Does anyone think this is too much or too little?
I don't think it's quite enough. Even ignoring the Rule of 14, there's also the fact that failing a Fright Check has worse repercussions than failing, say, an IQ or Will check. I'd eyeball it as -15%.

Tags
challenge, powers