Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-06-2023, 07:32 AM   #121
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: #Dungeon23 Megadungeon Challenge

4 Apr etr

Description: A 3 yard by 10 yard passageway made of stone masonry. In the center of the room is a stone pillar three feet tall with a basin in it. Carved into the walls are many runes, written in dwarven. Most of them are part of a spell. The rest of the runes says this is the power section for the great forge, and to place a power item and read the runes to power the forge.

The Power Device: If Paut or a power item is placed in the basin or the basin is the target of a spell, and the runes are read, the energy will be drained, the runes will glow, and the great forge will be powered for 1 minute per energy point. It takes 2 minutes and a successful thaumatology+2 roll to read the runes.

Vision: -10(no light) or 0 (if the great forge is powered)

Exits: The double doors at the two ends and in the middle of one long wall are heavy and iron bound. (DR 15 HP 39). Bars exist for the doors, but they are not in use.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 01:10 PM   #122
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

5 Apr etr

Description: A 4 yard by 10 yard room. The walls are bare stone, except for tapestries at the very end depicting humanoid looking dragons in combat with various elder things.

Monsters: 4 obsidian dragon statues. They attack intruders who do not include a reptilian in their number on sight and fight to the death, all while howling loudly. They have black stone wings, but don't use them, relying instead on teeth and claws. Obsidian dragons use the stats for obsidian jaguars, but with the following changes:
  • They lack the stealth and jumping skills, and will not pounce
  • They lack the hind claw attack
  • Their sense of duty is to their wizardly creators, and they lack fanaticism
  • They are powered by magic, not divine power
  • They have innate attack-18
  • They have a flame jet attack -- 2d6 burn, 1/2D 5, max 10
  • They have an additional 5DR vs fire
Treasure: Two large tapestries at the end of the hall. The one on the left depicts a humanoid dragon-man with bright red scales and twisted horns in combat against a void wyrm (Feb 10) and Sphere of Madness. The one of the right depicts a humanoid dragon-man with black scales and an enormous frill fighting black servitors (Feb 22) and Eyes of Death. Each Tapestry is four feet tall and 10 feet long ($1600 and 30 lbs each). A Heraldry roll will identify the Dragon-men as "Drakes", a reptilian race much like dragon-blooded, but possessing Wing and Tails, and being more dragon-like (think becoming the dragon 3 from DF 11). They live beyond portals, in a realm of rocky pinnacles, steep cliffs, open cliffs, towering volcanoes, and winding canyons. Each obsidian dragon will explode into obsidian chunks, much like the obsidian jaguars.

Vision: -10 (no light), but the flames of the obsidian dragons usually increase this to -5... the perfect lighting for the obsidian dragons.

Exits: The doors are iron-bound heavy doors (DR 15, 39 HP) with Heavy Locks (DR 9, 18 HP) picked at +0. They are both locked

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 04-28-2023 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-06-2023, 01:39 PM   #123
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

6 Apr etr

Description: A 15 yard by 4 yard beach, increasing to five yards wide for the middle five yards. In the center of the beach, against the wall, is a statue of a humanoid with robes, with the hands and face smashed off. The hands seem to have been previously holding something. The sand of the beach counts as bad footing.

The Statue: A heraldry roll at -5 can identify this is supposed to be Polriket, judging by his robes. An Elder Thing inscription is at the bottom of the statue, carved into smashed rock. Any character reading it must make a will roll or be mentally stunned (traps or thuamatology will allow them to stop reading without effect). There is no content. Its just a trap. If the statue is walked past without being paid some sort of respect (bowing to it, giving it a coin, making a personal remark about the skeleton, or something like that), then skeletons buried in the sand rise up and attack.

Monsters: 18 skeletons buried in the sand. Half have spears, half have maces. They start out prone, but their first action is move to a crouching position. Alternatively, they might initiate a grapple from a prone position. These monsters can be spotted by a Naturalist, search, or traps roll.

Vision: -9 (flickering light from the portal on another beach)

Exits: This is the eastern beach of Mar 3. A natural stone tunnel 2 yards across and 2 yards high leads away from the beach.

Treasure: The skeleton weapons and shields are moldy, worn, and only worth half normal value. Still, 18 medium shields are $540 for 270lbs, 9 maces are $245 for 45 lbs, and 9 spears are $180 for 36lbs.

Last edited by ericthered; 04-06-2023 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-10-2023, 01:38 PM   #124
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

7 Apr etr

Description: A 7 yard by 7 yard antechamber. Two benches with room for four people each are in the middle of the room, running along the path between the exits. The domed ceiling is 6 yards high at its highest point. two torch holders are mounted on each wall.

The Door: A wall has been carved to resemble a massive door. Its surface depicts intricately carved skeletons, rats, ravens, and tree roots. In the center is a hole that looks like it would hold a small stone, a hand print for a right hand. If a gem and hand that previously swore an oath to polriket in Mar 2 are placed in these, A magical door will appear in the wall. If the door is touched in a different way, the first time a voice will shout "First Swear the oath at the plaque." If it is touched again, or attacked, the monsters will be summoned. The door otherwise counts as a three foot thick wall. (468 DR, 135 HP). If damaged, it will grow back at a rate of 1 HP per hour, then 1 DR per hour.

Monsters: If the door is attacked, or a wrong attempt is made to open it, four elementals, a Living Inferno, Earth Titan, Living Tornado, and Lord of Tides, are summoned in the four corners and attempt to kill everyone in the room. They have been bound by magic, and cannot negotiate. The spell they have been controlled with has skill 20. They will pursue their targets to the edge of the lake, and then stop, even the water elemental. The Water element appears in the back-left corner, the earth elemental in the back-right, the air elemental in the front-left, and the fire elemental in the front-right. Stats can be found in either DF9 or as Elementals in DFRPG: Monsters. Summoned Elementals have Fragile: Unnatural and die at HPx-1.

If the Elementals are somehow freed from the spells that control them, they can say only that Polriket bound them with a horrible spell to guard the door.

Entrance: A simple masonry archway, 2 yards across.

Vision: -10 (no light) -3 (if fire elemental is out)

Treasure: 2 large Benches ($200 each, 30 lbs).

Old 04-10-2023, 02:41 PM   #125
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

10 April etr

Description: A 4 yard by 10 yard room, running east-west. The north side of the room is mostly walled off with bricks, with Large two foot round holes built into it every 2 yards. This area is an additional two yards wide, and if the forge is on (Apr 4), deals 6d6 damage each second to anything in it. The south wall has a 1 yard by 1 yard giant steel block running its length, with periodic iron horns and other projections. above it are racks for hanging things, tools are scattered around the room, and five tapered metal hexagons two feet long and 4 inches across lie around the room. If the Forge is on (Apr 4), these go up and down on the steel block across from each hole and deal 4d6 crushing damage to anything under them. A successful Armory, Blacksmith, or hidden lore (magic items) roll at +4 will identify this place as a forge for rapidly producing metalwork. Its worth perhaps $100,000 or more, if a safe route to it can be found and the workers convinced to live here and be protected.

Monsters: Three enormous humanoid figures in robes. They are 8 feet tall, with inky black featureless faces that seem to go on forever, tentacles instead of arms, and a mist of blackness that levitates them above the ground. They carry enormous swords --- two handed, even for them. They will do their very best to negotiate with anyone they meet, but don't understand the language, and in fact they have a sinister effect on those who try to understand them. These are known as Gibbering Giants to those who make a hidden lore (elder things) roll. Gibbering Giants aren't hostile unless attacked. These ones will let delvers pass without doing more than trying to chat with them... if that can be considered "non-hostile". If delvers pass through to many times, the Gibbering giants might press their luck being a bit more insistent about talking with their new neighbors.

Use the stats for Ogres, but with the following changes:
  • IQ, will, and per are 12
  • Add Damage Tolerance (Unliving), Darkvision, walk on air (2 foot ceiling, magical), extra-flexible, flexible to the arms, and legless (aerial)
  • The swords are SM+1 Great-Swords (15): 3d6+4 cut or 2d6+2 imp. replace two handed axe/mace with two handed sword.
  • Gazing deeply into the face of, trying to understand the communication of a gibbering giant, or being in the presence of a gibbering giant for more than 10 minutes triggers a fright check.
Treasure: 5 sets of blacksmith back-pack tools ($600 and 20 lbs each for $3,000 and 100 lbs). 3 SM+1 Balanced Great swords ($2400, 10.5 lbs each for $7,200 and 31.5 lbs)

Exits: Heavy wooden doors on the east and west ends of the room (DR 3, 33 HP). Locks exist, but are not in use. +0 to pick, Average construction (DR 6, HP 12)

Old 04-10-2023, 06:54 PM   #126
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

A weird question for something I've got planned in the challenge: does DF or the DFRPG have anti-spell casting handcuffs?

Old 04-11-2023, 11:46 AM   #127
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

11 Apr etr

Description: A roughly 10 yard by 10 yard irregular hewn rock room with five mine-carts on seperate short tracks and switches (long metal levers) to put them on a single main set of tracks. Three piles of rocks about two yards high are in the room against walls, one in the north east corner, one in the southeast, and one on the eastern side. The ceiling is rounded and 7 yards up at its highest point

Monsters: 3 black servitors (Feb 22). They will not stand and fight, but flee in a convenient direction... possibly notifying whichever monsters they pass.

Exits: The main tracks run down a 3 yard by 3 yard tunnel on the southern side of the room. Above the north east pile of rock is a shaft coming down from the ceiling, four feet across. Heavy wooden doors (DR 3 HP 33) with average construction locks (DR 6 HP 12) that are not locked (lockpicking-2) lead to the north west and south west.

Treasure: Seven shovels ($84, 42 lbs). The carts are each 40lbs and worth $120, and increase the carrying capacity of a pusher by a factor of 10 ($600, 200 lbs, and bulky).

Old 04-11-2023, 02:59 PM   #128
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
A weird question for something I've got planned in the challenge: does DF or the DFRPG have anti-spell casting handcuffs?
I can't think of a published version, but Adventurers includes the Magebane grenade (p. 116), so a wearable version doesn't seem off the table. (The equivalent of the Suspend Magery shackles from GURPS Magic, p. 130.)

Last edited by Dalin; 04-14-2023 at 11:48 AM.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 03:41 PM   #129
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

13 Apr etr

Description: A 4 yard by 10 yard room, running east-west. The south side of the room is mostly walled off with bricks, with Large two foot round holes built into it every 2 yards. This area is an additional two yards wide, and if the forge is on (Apr 4), deals 6d6 damage each second to anything in it. The north wall has a 1 yard by 1 yard giant steel block running its length, with periodic iron horns and other projections. above it are racks for hanging things, tools are scattered around the room, and five tapered metal hexagons two feet long and 4 inches across lie around the room. If the Forge is on (Apr 4), these go up and down on the steel block across from each hole and deal 4d6 crushing damage to anything under them. A successful Armory, Blacksmith, or hidden lore (magic items) roll at +4 will identify this place as a forge for rapidly producing metalwork. Its worth perhaps $100,000 or more, if a safe route to it can be found and the workers convinced to live here and be protected.

Yes, this is a mirror of Apr 10.

Monsters: Two of the monsters from Feb 17.

Lighting: -10 (no light) unless the forge is on, then (0), as a glow fills the whole room.

Treasure: 5 sets of blacksmith back-pack tools ($600 and 20 lbs each for $3,000 and 100 lbs). A Fine Balanced Dwarven Halberd ($2,700, 12 lbs)

Exits: Heavy wooden doors on the east and west ends of the room (DR 3, 33 HP). Locks exist, but are not in use. +0 to pick, Average construction (DR 6, HP 12)

Old 04-14-2023, 08:02 AM   #130
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I can't think of a published version, but Adventurers includes the Magebane grenade (p. 116), so a wearable version doesn't seem off the table. (The equivalent of the Suspent Magery shackles from GURPS Magic, p. 130.)
So technically we have an item... dang its expensive! Thanks for the help.

Tags
#dungeon23, challenge, megadungeon