Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 02-01-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
johnnyschad

Default character sheet file locations

Greetings.

I made a copy of a character sheet file, then brutally hacked the copy version in an effort to customize the character sheet. Amazingly my revisions worked.

When Dungeon Fantasy came out, I wanted to make a copy of the character sheet, but this time did so within the GUI. The character sheet copy was named <original sheet>:<revised name>.

Now I wanna make further customizations at the file level but find no corresponding file. I still see the <original sheet> name. I looked inside the <original sheet> file to see if a sub-section containing my new sheet name was there and found no matches.

Where is the newly revised sheet?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can give.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: character sheet file locations

It's important to be clear about the difference between the sheet, and the settings for that sheet.

If you're editing a file on the hard drive, with a name like "charactersheet.gcs", then you're editing a the sheet itself.

If you're changing settings within GCA, using Character Sheet Options, then you're just changing the settings for that sheet.

When you change the settings within GCA, you also have the option of saving them as a profile, which is just a way of letting you have different sets of options for one sheet. Different profiles are denoted in GCA with the notation that you mention: <sheet>:<profile>.

So, to answer your question: there is no separate, revised sheet when you create a profile. GCA simply uses the specified <sheet> with that different set of <profile> settings when printing it.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
johnnyschad

That's kinda what I figured had to be happening. What's confusing me is when I grep for the customized portion of the name of sheet, I get no matches.

So I started with FlexSheet and, at the file system, copied that to "FlexSheetModified".

Then inside the software I saved a copy called FlexSheetModifiedWubba yielding the result of FlexSheetModied:Wubba.

When I grep for "wubba" within FlexSheetModified I expected to find a sub-section somewhere that contained customizations for the "wubba" version of the sheet file, but I'm not finding it.

BUT, this is now just an academic itch to scratch, because you've confirmed that I'm looking in the right file. Thank you.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
tmedwards

Options profiles for a sheet are not kept within the source code of the sheet. They're kept with the sheetoptions.ini file, which can be found under the %AppData%\Steve Jackson Games\GURPS Character Assistant 4 directory. Within that file is where you will find your "Wubba" profile.

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)

Last edited by tmedwards; 02-02-2018 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Clarification
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:39 AM   #5
johnnyschad

You have restored a measure of my sanity. Thank you!