Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
Anders

Default [Sorcery] Need help with a spell

The spell creates a one-way light curtain around an area. The idea is that anyone on the outside cannot see any light sources (only) on the inside. So if the outside is in moonlight, and there's a guy with a torch on the inside, the guy on the outside sees the area as lit by the moon while the guy on the inside sees the area as lit by a torch. It's for disguising parties with light sources.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
McAllister

Default Re: [Sorcery] Need help with a spell

This is definitely a job for Obscure with Stealthy, Defensive and Selective Area. To compensate, the value of "Accessibility: only squelches light sources" is going to be pretty hefty, at least -50% for my money. I use multiplicative modifiers, so if you want the field to be able to block even the brightest glow, it's Obscure 10 (Defensive, +50%; Selective Area, +20%; Stealthy, +100%; Only Squelches Light, -50%) for a total of 19 points, once you add -5% Costs FP and -10% Magical. Which seems kinda high, I mean you could be properly invisible for nearly the same amount of points, you know? But the benefit to this is that you get to bring things with you, and you can bring light into dark places without tipping off people around you, so maybe this is the right price point.

Fit the bill?

EDIT: if you're trying to do this without inventing an Accessibility modifier, you're gonna have a bad time, I think.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
Anders

With this project I have invented modifiers left and right, so there's no problem with that... :o) Yeah, I was thinking about Obscure too and it's probably the best way to do it.

And remember, this affects an area so there are uses when you have an entire party. And I would rule that if you make a torch invisible, you derive no benefit from it.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #4
McAllister

Well, you derive benefit from it in the two yard radius that Obscure affects by default, right? Which isn't much, but it's better than tripping over things in the dark.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #5
Kalzazz

Is this for the Drakar ouch Demoner Spellbook Project thread? Its one of my favorites and looking forward to seeing more!
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #6
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
Well, you derive benefit from it in the two yard radius that Obscure affects by default, right? Which isn't much, but it's better than tripping over things in the dark.
And then you can add more levels for 10 points/level, each level doubling the area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Is this for the Drakar ouch Demoner Spellbook Project thread? Its one of my favorites and looking forward to seeing more!
Oh. I probably should update it then. Expect an info-dump in a few days. :o)
Old 08-18-2016, 06:04 PM   #7
Lia Valenth

Out of curiosity, why would you need Selective Area in this? Unless you want to use it on someone adjacent to you and outside the area or something.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:10 PM   #8
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia Valenth View Post
Out of curiosity, why would you need Selective Area in this? Unless you want to use it on someone adjacent to you and outside the area or something.
To allow natural sources of light, while blocking out your flashlight.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers, sorcery, spell