Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-07-2015, 04:02 PM   #1
JMason

Default Threshold-Limited Magic vs Meditative Magic

I'm working on a new fantasy campaign where I wanted Wizards to use Threshold-Limited Magic using the suggested 30 point Threshold and 8 point recovery.

For clerics, I wanted something a bit different, and I've always liked the idea behind Meditative Magic (Fantasy, pp. 161-162), but find that it feels very under powered compared to TLM.

I cleric would have to spend a whole week locked in prayer and get (4 points of energy a day, for 5 days) 20 points of energy to spend. At the same time a Wizard could be casting up to 8 points every day and recover with no issues (assuming they stay below the threshold).

OTOH, there is no limit to the power MM can accumulate, but it still seems like this might make clerics very stingy casters, and wizards doing most of the magic.

Has anyone run a game with both of these in play? How did it work? Any suggestions on MM?

P.S. I don't have Divine Favor. How does that systems work with either/both of these?
Old 02-07-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Threshold-Limited Magic vs Meditative Magic

What will the world impact be of TLM? What will it be of MM?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #3
Joe

No doubt this solution is so obvious that there's something wrong with it, but have you considered just increasing the rate at which meditating clerics accumulate energy points? That seems like it would be a quick fix.

The question then would be how high to raise their energy accumulation rate...
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

I like MM as a way to cover the classic major healing spell cast by monastic monks. People usually wanting quick fix bang for your buck gravitate toward classic wizard spells. But sometimes you need the magic "nuke" sized spells that only months long devotion can garner.

Don't forget that rule allowing the accomplishment of feats/quests appropriate to their magical philosophy/religion to grant bonus energy points.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:57 PM   #5
Refplace

I used TLM for my priests with various religious advantages allowing a higher Threshold ore recovery.
Also bonus to recovery based on Sancity.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:58 AM   #6
lvalero

I use TLM in my campaign for divine magic/powers and the "Tally" is called "Pride".

Clerics/Paladins accumulate Pride not only by casting spells and some "Saintly powers" such as "Lying on hands" or "Smite evil" but also by doing things the divinity or the creed is not very happy with.

For example, if some wizard PC is always blaspheming against all gods and the cleric cures him, the divinity may "charge" an additional one or two points of pride as a signal that the god is not disallowing the spell but he is also not very happy with it.

By the same reason, the divinity can remove some pride if the cleric behaves in a such way that the god feels he should be rewarded.

The removal of pride cann't be asked / prayed. Just asking to lower the pride is a very proudly act!