Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-23-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
Sombreiro

Default [Custom Spells] Help Me out with some Ideas?

So, I'm a Custom Spell lover, and I've been trying to model a few concepts. Any rules from any books are welcome!

First of all, I'm trying to make something we, me and my players, called Sword of Dusk. It's a cosmic sword that comes out of one's glove, but may or not be called upon as a "sword".

The thing is, the idea of the sword is to be wielded without a grasping it. You can solidify it, and use it as a Meta-sword, let's say. And you can control it as a Force. Until then, we have been thinking of telekinesis, and the "alternate abilities", for the special effects.

For example:SkyFall: One could summon it as a falling sword appearing out of nowhere. It would be an impaling attack with overhead, I guess.

Dark Charge: One could throw it as a giant impaling attack. Innate attack.

But... One could pull it back. How should I model this?
Situation: Elrich Dusker calls upon his Dusk Sword, with SkyFall, forcing Rufus the Strong to step out of his hex.He chooses to step close into Elrich.
Elrich, then, readies his Dusk Sword from far away with his Telekinesis. Rufus rushes him, but, before he reaches his target... Elrich wants to use Dark Charge from BEHIND Rufus.

How can it be modeled? How can I make an innate attack be able to "begin" from a distance and move up to the caster?

What if Elrich had a spell to create a sphere of fire 5 yards away, and pull it back to him? How could I model it?

Thanks in advance!
Sombreiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: [Custom Spells] Help Me out with some Ideas?

Overhead: Surprise Attack (+150%) will allow an attack to originate behind, above, or, below your target. Throw in a minor Accessibility limitation to say all special attacks start from wherever the sword is at that moment, and you're set.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
Sombreiro

Thanks, Nereida! This is a nice perk to know, missed it from Powers!

I have another doubt, if you would mind helping me yet again haha.

What if I wanted to build a "path" of ice? Area of Effect does not cover my idea, as it's more like a cilinder/sphere. I would like to make, for example, 10 hexes longo and 3 hexes wide into a swamp, or acid. Or maybe an attack that creates Ice Spear and hurls it into this exact path, with a bombardment effect.

I was thinking of Wall effect, but I don't know if it fits the design.

Hope I've been clear!

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the trouble!
Sombreiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:28 PM   #4
Nereidalbel

Choice of Permeable Wall or Cone.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers, spells as advantages