Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #441
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: In Nomine: the Pacific War (OOC)

Damn you, math.

I filched some graph paper from work and finally laid down tables for all the characters in this scene (24, not counting the five dead ones). Now I have to go back and stat who's used how much Essence, which will be 'loads of fun' for your PC's and the NPC's who came with them through...well, the beginning. Since so far our 98 pages are basically one day.

My eyes hurt--you'll forgive me if I tackle that just a little bit later. Of course, if you know how much Essence your character has at the moment, that would save me a bit of work. If you've lost any hit points that you can remember, that helps too.

I also noticed that Glen, if I use the same standard as the rest of you, only has 2 corporeal hit points. And I hate, hate hate the idea of a one-hit kill, to say nothing of the fact that I IRL am the same age as Glen, and I do not crumple like paper lantern! So, pure fiat, I'll say he's got 6 Corp instead of 2. Still not huge, still could go down on one particularly well-laid hit, and will be thinking on a way to buffer even that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadLilim View Post
Sorry about the delay, work was hell this week.

Ash is heading "to the back" now, put him in whatever group/fight he'd end up in next. Also, he no longer has the flaming paws, so he's pack to strength or will.
Much appreciated, and yeah I've read about your work situation. No fun at all.
Being in the back means he won't find any opponents at first, but it will give him cover to enter the Dining Room/Master Bedroom without being seen right away, or allow Ash to go around front from either side to join the martial angels (who are about to have their butts handed to them, if the rolls go my way at all.)

Quick recap for busy people: Ruby is in the front of the Master Bedroom negotiating with Zahirah and Mitch.
Sunae and Ryuki are in the black hole with one of Ruby's minions--the only thing visible in all that is Sunae's sword. After p/o Sunae checks in, the dark will lift and minion will beg for surrender.
Glen has locked down the Nook/Bedrooms part of the house and is pointing cameras and microphones for Nisroc, who is guarding the Location Song exit to San Francisco in the Breakfast Nook.
Kane and Corat have been doing hit-and-runs on the large group of demons in the front, five dead, four wounded, three not wounded by my count. But Kane and Corat are about to get hit with a possibly overwhelming force of demonic Songs.
The two demons picking the front door lock are likely to get caught in the ward Glen had built.

Link to house

Link to bad guys in front of house. x'd out are dead, / slashed out are merely wounded.

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 02-10-2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: I'm an English teacher. I don't make that mistake!
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #442
alexondria

I only remember Zahirah spending 1 point of essence and not taking any hits yet it that helps.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #443
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
I also noticed that Glen, if I use the same standard as the rest of you, only has 2 corporeal hit points. And I hate, hate hate the idea of a one-hit kill, to say nothing of the fact that I IRL am the same age as Glen, and I do not crumple like paper lantern! So, pure fiat, I'll say he's got 6 Corp instead of 2. Still not huge, still could go down on one particularly well-laid hit, and will be thinking on a way to buffer even that.
if it helps, Glen hopes to avoid testing that for as long as possible. ;)
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #444
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlillama View Post
if it helps, Glen hopes to avoid testing that for as long as possible. ;)
I got that feeling.

Up to pg 54 compiling Essence use and point hits. It's 2 Essence to go Celestial, but I can't find the stats on going back to Corp. I know it creates Disturbance...any idea?

--nonbump-- Laptop's overheating and I'm hungry, but stats are done except for Corp HP on minions. Will scan and write after dinner.

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 02-12-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #445
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
I got that feeling.

Up to pg 54 compiling Essence use and point hits. It's 2 Essence to go Celestial, but I can't find the stats on going back to Corp. I know it creates Disturbance...any idea?
Pg. 53 -- "Returning to the corporeal plane normally takes no time, Essence or Will rolls."

Since taking celestial form on Earth is treated, Disturbance-wise, as though someone were ascending to the celestial plane, I assume returning to corporeal form has the same analogy. So no Essence cost or rolls. Possibly a disturbance, since leaving the celestial plane to manifest on Earth creates a noise equal to the number of Forces arriving. (Pg. 55)

As a side note, I'll be a bit slow to respond tomorrow; this is a busy weekend.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #446
tHEhERETIC

PC stats, as I understand them.

Ash--no hit points lost. The Shields Song is the only Essence expenditure that I could find, outside of switching vessels (which I don't know whether there's a cost to.) We never specified how long he was Singing Shields, and he had the Kyrio there to donate Essence to him to keep things up. So honestly I don't know how much he has, except that it's unlikely to be zero. By fiat, 4 Essence, unless you've got a better estimate.

Mitchim-- Only Essence expenditure I see is going Celestial and back, so Mitch has 7 Essence as far as I know. No HP losses yet.

Zahirah-- Another careful player. 2 Essence for going Celestial, and 3 Essence donated to Kane on pg. 55. 4 Essence, no HP lost.

Sunae-- Essence spent, pg. 24 pulling out the sword, and on pg 84 she lights it up. On page 34 she and Ryuki yielded in a Will War which should cost Will, but she didn't take any hit there. There's a reason--when he was counting down, he was also attacking, drawing their opponents' fire while Sunae was defenseless. Chivalry is not dead. ;) No hit point losses.

Glen--No hit point losses--that's the good news. At 6 Corp, 8 Eth, and 24 Cel I can see why he's so careful.
Essence: Starts with 6, spent 3 on pg. 27 and 1 on pg. 76. One more on pg 85 puts him at zero, though reading how you wrote it that was clearly not your impression. Perhaps I'm missing something. To make up the difference I figured Glen got 4 Essence from the ferret/Kyrio, which was then used on pg 89 for the ward.

and Kane--Hit points--the only injury I could find is that fire, and I can't find anything in canon that would help me calculate that. I'll draw two cards, one for each round, unless you have a better idea.
Essence--LOL he's almost as bad as the sorcerers. 2 Essence going Celestial, pg. 34. Pg 35 it appears that Kane lights up the Fire blade for one more, putting him at 6. Post 360 goes 3 Essence to get a sure hit, total 3. Pg. 55 he gets 3 from Zahirah, back up to 6. Pg 56 he drops 4 to commune with Eli, back down to 2. And going to Ether Form to combat minions, one more Essence, total left 1. Then pg 96-97, 3 from Corat bringing Kane up to 4. Of course there's the Kyriotate wearing ferrets, and that angel has maybe 4 left to give (I say 'maybe' because Ash's numbers are unclear.

Dammit RocketMan, I still need to know how you're going to split Kane's defense!! 6 Will to prioritize between two incoming Songs, one of them Ethereal, the other Celestial.

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 02-12-2012 at 04:04 AM. Reason: fixin' Kane
Old 02-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #447
Rocket Man

Quote:
Dammit RocketMan, I still need to know how you're going to split Kane's defense!! 6 Will to prioritize between two incoming Songs, one of them Ethereal, the other Celestial.
See post 440 in this thread. :) And yes, your Essence count squares with mine. At least, before the expenditure mentioned in 440.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #448
RadLilim

Quote:
PC stats, as I understand them.

Ash--no hit points lost. The Shields Song is the only Essence expenditure that I could find, outside of switching vessels (which I don't know whether there's a cost to.) We never specified how long he was Singing Shields, and he had the Kyrio there to donate Essence to him to keep things up. So honestly I don't know how much he has, except that it's unlikely to be zero. By fiat, 4 Essence, unless you've got a better .
That sound fine for me, I was going to post the same thougts.

Wanna buy one? - Radueriel, Free Lilim
RadLilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #449
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
4 points on Celestial, 2 points on Ethereal. With the bonus, that should be 5 and 3. If possible, he'll also spend 1 Essence on each to boost the resistance further. (Leaving him 2 with which to assume celestial form if things go pear-shaped.)
Got it.

By picking two of the nastiest Songs I also picked two with a bunch of defense bonuses. The Ethereal one uses Intelligence as the defense stat, but that's also canon IN and not my CvC modification. Some compromises were in order.

You two might actually beat this... (goes to draw virtual cards, and will edit once they're drawn.)

--cards of dooooooom!--

I had to look at those numbers a few times, couldn't believe them. For a minute I thought Kane would come out unscathed...

Corat vs. demon, Ethereal Entropy. TN C= 9 vs d =6 CD irrelevant. He's okay
Celestial Shattering C=8 vs. d=Queen. And Queens, my dear, are trump cards. He's going down, CD 4, last two Essence and two Soul hits.

Kane had the bonuses but drew low.
Ethereal Entropy: K =10 vs. d=14 (demon drew a Knight). CD 2, times the 2 Essence the demon spent, 4 Mind hits. And Kane's having a panic attack.
Celestial Shatter: K=13 but d=16---demon drew another 10, Kane's card was only a 3. CD 3--those 3 Essence Corat gave him? Gone.

Llewellyn online tarot, because I'm at work. I'll write beautiful prose when there are fewer people in the office to muddle the muse.

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 02-12-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: drew the cards
Old 02-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #450
Rocket Man

Quote:
Her voice takes a sinister hardness. "Worse than if I destroy it?"
Ironic, given that Kane would rather destroy the Tether than let it fall into enemy hands ....

Tags
in nomine