Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #51
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: GURPS Assassin's Creed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
But those are absolutely key to his fighting style and survivability. He wants to draw attacks to that he can Counterattack, Riposte or Stop Hit. To do that, he needs very good defences. Otherwise, he'll end up toast in his first few fights.
Which is more core to the character concept? +1 to defenses, or being situationally aware?

Quote:
I got the impression that Dungeon Fantasy characters are expected to be about this competent. At one small niche, at least. Certainly, skill 18-20 is not out of the Dungeon Fantasy competency range.
You have about 50 points more in attributes, 150 more in advantages, and are trying to be as good as a focused 250 point character in about 3 different areas (sneaky, fighty, and magic). Actually, you have double the points in spells a starting mage does, and more than quadruple the number of points in skills.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Crakkerjakk; 12-21-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #52
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
Which is more core to the character concept? +1 to defenses, or being situationally aware?
Both, damme! ;)

This is why I hate point budgets and would prefer to simply build to concept. But the players want the characters who started the campaign to be higher point than the new characters and so, budgets.

Sigh.

I'll look for cuts I can make without destroying the asked-for concept. Suggestions welcome.

Quote:
You have about 50 points more in attributes, 150 more in advantages, and are trying to be as good as a focused 250 point character in about 3 different areas (sneaky, fighty, and magic). Actually, you have double the points in spells a starting mage does, and more than quadruple the number of points in skills.
Good point.

But I am trying to do it on almost three times the budget. All I need is some synergy effect and I should make it, right?
Old 12-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #53
rosignol

Quote:
I have to agree with Crakkerjakk on this- IMO, dropping the magic and going with Weapon Master + cinematic skills like Invisibility Art, etc, seems like a better fit.

And it looks like it'd let you redirect ~124 points into things more related to what you do when you're all out of bubblegum.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #54
zoncxs

Quote:
It does if it's affected by setting metaphysics in adverse ways, doesn't it?

If certain areas can wipe out your store of ER, for example. And certain monsters are drawn to it. So on.
ah so it is "mana sensitive"
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #55
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
But I am trying to do it on almost three times the budget. All I need is some synergy effect and I should make it, right?
Let me put it this way: The DF Thief template has 3 skills at 18 (Forced Entry, Climbing, and Stealth). Yours has 20 skills or techniques at that level or above.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #56
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosignol View Post
I have to agree with Crakkerjakk on this- IMO, dropping the magic and going with Weapon Master + cinematic skills like Invisibility Art, etc, seems like a better fit.

And it looks like it'd let you redirect ~124 points into things more related to what you do when you're all out of bubblegum.
On the other hand, the player asked for, and I quote: "An illusionist spy who can cast spells to disguise himself and go invisible. Able to parkour and shadow people either in crowds or on rooftops. If he has to fight for self-defence, he should be able to do the sort of stuff Ezio does in AssBro."

Also, he's a half-elf. And the reason he joins the other PCs is that his cover was somehow blown where he used to spy [insert discussion that yielded the Archmage's curse].

So I can't really nix the magic use, as that's in some ways the core of what the player asked for.

I'll admit that interpreting 'fight in self-defence' as 'can kill multiple skilled swordsmen in seconds' might be considered over the top. On the other hand, the other PCs have enemies who can send superpowered ninja, fearsome ravening beasts or literal demons after them. Self-defence against a team of demon ninja mages might call for some fancy stuff.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #57
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
ah so it is "mana sensitive"
Just so.Do you see fnords?
Old 12-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #58
rosignol

Quote:
I'll admit that interpreting 'fight in self-defence' as 'can kill multiple skilled swordsmen in seconds' might be considered over the top. On the other hand, the other PCs have enemies who can send superpowered ninja, fearsome ravening beasts or literal demons after them. Self-defence against a team of demon ninja mages might call for some fancy stuff.
Tone it down to 'can kill multiple mooks in seconds' and 'can kill a superpowered ninja in 4-6 seconds' and you can probably make your point budget. :D
Old 12-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #59
Icelander

Quote:
Let me put it this way: The DF Thief template has 3 skills at 18 (Forced Entry, Climbing, and Stealth). Yours has 20 skills or techniques at that level or above.
Fair enough.

(Though I note that having one skill at 20 can mean that dozens of techniques are technically at that level or close to it. So it's better to count just skills at 20 or above).

Granted, this character is very capable. But he's no more capable than the other PCs in the campaign and he's deliberately not very point-efficient. For example, he has 7 points in Area Knowledge and Current Affairs in places where he can't really go because of his curse, but if he didn't have those, he'd be pretty implausible as a professional informant and spy from that city.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #60
rosignol

Quote:
For example, he has 7 points in Area Knowledge and Current Affairs in places where he can't really go because of his curse, but if he didn't have those, he'd be pretty implausible as a professional informant and spy from that city.
IIRC, back in 3rd edition, there was the option of bumping the difficulty of Area Knowledge up a notch and broadening the area the skill applied to. Did that go away in 4th ed?

Tags
assassin, assassin's creed, dungeon fantasy, forgotten realms, ninja