Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #1
Appletoe

Default Extra attack on the DF swashbuckler template

How is this advantage meant to be used? If it's supposed to grant an extra attack with the PC's main weapon, how come it doesn't have the multi-strike enhancement from martial arts? As it is, it looks like it's meant to give the PC an extra punch or kick, but I'm not sure if that's what the author intended.
Appletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Extra attack on the DF swashbuckler template

Ambidexterity is also available, and some of the skill choices can result in a character who fights with a sword and dagger (Main-Gauche), so it's possible the intent is more for a character who uses two weapons. Technically nothing is stopping you from going with two rapiers, either (in fact, you're better off using two of the same weapon, as the Swashbuckler technically only has access to Weapon Master with a single weapon, although I suspect most GM's would allow you to take the Pair option). Of course, there are plenty of cases in cinema where the hero's weapon attack is Parried and he punches the villain in the face!
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #3
mlangsdorf

Kromm has said that the complexity of Extra Attack (Multistrike +20%; Only with primary weapon -20%) [25] is too much for Dungeon Fantasy, but that's what the advantage is under the hood.

Alternately, my preferred solution is to point out that Extra Attack is overpriced at 25 points unless it includes Multistrike, and the rule that Extra Attacks must use a different weapon isn't necessary to balance the advantage and should be dropped.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Of course, there are plenty of cases in cinema where the hero's weapon attack is Parried and he punches the villain in the face!
And in real life. Several fighting styles taught unarmed moves for when you got to close.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Kromm has said that the complexity of Extra Attack (Multistrike +20%; Only with primary weapon -20%) [25] is too much for Dungeon Fantasy, but that's what the advantage is under the hood.

Alternately, my preferred solution is to point out that Extra Attack is overpriced at 25 points unless it includes Multistrike, and the rule that Extra Attacks must use a different weapon isn't necessary to balance the advantage and should be dropped.
To be extremely technical, I believe the wording in Basic is that you must have two weapons ready, not that you must use two different weapons. So hold your main gauche and stab, stab away with the foil.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:51 PM   #6
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
To be extremely technical, I believe the wording in Basic is that you must have two weapons ready, not that you must use two different weapons. So hold your main gauche and stab, stab away with the foil.

BS doesn't say anything about ready weapons. It does, however, specifically say humans with Extra Attack can attack with both arms.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:15 AM   #7
GWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post

You remember exact quote?
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #8
mlangsdorf

No, but I can look it up:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...03&postcount=4
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...57&postcount=3