Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
GodBeastX

Default [DF] - HIgh Mana Level

Anyone got a nice house rule for high mana? "Anyone who knows a spell can cast it" isn't very useful to the mage, but I would think High Mana would help a mage out somehow.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: [DF] - HIgh Mana Level

Doesn't High Mana already include recovering the FP/ER spent on spells at an increased rate already?
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Diomedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Doesn't High Mana already include recovering the FP/ER spent on spells at an increased rate already?
As far as I know, the only RAW effect beyond allowing non-mages to cast spells is that powerstones recharge twice as fast.

That said, my house rule is that mages (but not non-mages) get to move one step up on the chart for the purpose of casting time, rituals, and energy cost.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
As far as I know, the only RAW effect beyond allowing non-mages to cast spells is that powerstones recharge twice as fast.

That said, my house rule is that mages (but not non-mages) get to move one step up on the chart for the purpose of casting time, rituals, and energy cost.
Ah, I was thinking of Very High Mana. Wonderful place to be, as long as you don't mind every failure being critical...
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post

I like this.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
Refplace

I kind of like but never used the incremental mana levels suggested in Thaumatology.
I have used rules where mana level modified how fast you recovered energy and that never created any problems.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #7
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I kind of like but never used the incremental mana levels suggested in Thaumatology.
I have used rules where mana level modified how fast you recovered energy and that never created any problems.
What page?
Old 06-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
What page?
Nevermind, found it. I guess +N to skill would end up reducing costs on spells and time automatically.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Nevermind, found it. I guess +N to skill would end up reducing costs on spells and time automatically.
Yep. Also make it easier to enchant items since your apprentices have better effective skill and your bonus can offset the penalty for using them.
Not a huge bonus really but one mages would still notice and better then the current way I feel.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #10
Kallatari

My house rule is that High Mana levels give everyone +1 level of Magery. So non-mages get Magery 1, allowing them to "cast spells if they know it", while other mages who already have Magery n wind up with Magery n+1. In most cases, this merely translates into a +1 to a mage's spell skill, but for some spells it lets you cast more powerful versions (e.g., do more damage with missile spells).

Very High Mana gives +2 levels of Magery (in addition to the other effects),

Mike
Kallatari is offline   Reply With Quote