Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2018, 10:26 AM   #1431
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

GRANDMASTER

Identity: The Grandmaster's existence is known to the general populace of the galaxy at large, though he is currently unknown on Earth.
Legal Status: Resident of Port Nowhere.
Other Aliases: The Master of Games.
Place of Birth: Unrevealed.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: None.
Group Affiliation: Elders of the Universe.
Base of Operations: Port Nowhere.
History: Like those of all the Elders of the Universe, the Grandmaster’s origin is lost in early history of the universe (see Elders of the Universe). It is known that he is one of the oldest living beings in the universe; like other Elders, he is the survivor of one of the intelligent races that evolved in one of the first galaxies to form after the "Big Bang". Although his race became extinct and even his native galaxy died as the ages passed, the Grandmaster, like the other Elders, lived on, having become virtually immortal. As the relatively few survivors of the earliest period of the universe, the Elders regard each other figuratively as brothers.

The Grandmaster has spent his extraordinary long life in pursuit of amusement through the playing of games. He has traveled throughout the known universe studying many civilizations’ forms of games and playing them to the point of mastering them. He then began to devise his own types of tournaments and contests, challenging various opponents to games of skill and chance for high stakes.

It is unknown how long the Grandmaster has been a resident of the interstellar free port known as Port Nowhere, but it's claimed that he has been there longer than living memory, which for some species can be a very long time (see Port Nowhere). At Port Nowhere, he runs a gladiatorial arena, which is not necessarily a deathmatch (though fatalities have been known to happen). He is also reputed to engage in various "contests of champions" with other Elders and certain other beings, pitting teams of chosen pawns against each other in various contests, including but not limited to "scavenger hunts" for powerful objects.

At some unknown point in the past, the Grandmaster came into possession of a primordial gem of power, the Time Gem, one of the six Infinity Gems (see Infinity Gems). As the keeper of the Time Gem, he has come into conflict with the being known as the Magus as well as the aggressive Universal Church of Truth; the Magus was seeking to possess the Gem while the Church sought to destroy it (see Magus; Universal Church of Truth). He briefly aided the ragtag team brought together by Adam Warlock against the Magus, all the while deflecting the issue of where he kept the Time Gem (see Warlock, Adam).
Height: 7' 1".
Weight: 240 lbs.
Eyes: Red, no visible pupils.
Hair: White.
Skin: Blue.
Uniform: None.
Strength Level: The Grandmaster appears to possess strength equivalent to that of a humanoid who engages in moderately little regular exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: The Grandmaster posses a cosmic life force which grants him a variety of superhuman traits, including a virtually immortal body, immunity to aging and disease, and virtual imperviousness to conventional injury through near-instant regeneration. In addition, the Grandmaster can utilize his cosmic life force for a variety of effects, including levitation, the projection of energy blasts, and travel through space and alternate dimensions. He is also capable of transforming and rearranging matter on a planetary scale, and he can cause death to others just by wishing it.

He is also capable of mentally computing diverse low information probabilities to the tenth decimal place with ease, and to retain vast amounts of data. He also possesses certain abilities of mental perception, which enable him to receive information about his environment through extrasensory means. He also maintains a psychic link with the highly advanced computers of Port Nowhere, which extend and enhance his mental abilities.

Using the Time Gem, the Grandmaster is able to travel through time, bring beings from other times into the present and return them to their native times, and even reverse time locally to restore a recently deceased person to life.
Other Abilities: The Grandmaster possesses a vast knowledge and comprehension of games and game theory far beyond present-day Earth, as well as encyclopedic knowledge of thousands of exotic games played throughout the universe.

20,666 points
Attributes:
ST 10 [0]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 16 [120]; HT 20 [100].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs.; HP 10 [0]; Will 16 [0]; Per 16 [0]; FP 20 [0]; Basic Speed 8.00 [5]; Basic Move 5 [-15]; Basic Air Move 5 [0]; Basic Space Move 16 [0]; Dodge 12.
Languages: Ancient Galactic (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Charter Confederation [1]; Kree Empire [1]; Port Nowhere (Native) [0]; Shi'ar Empire [1]; Skrull Empire [1].
Advantages: Affliction (Death) 16 (HT-15; Heart Attack, +300%; Malediction (Long-Distance Modifiers), +200%; No Signature, +20%; Power Cosmic (Tier 5), +0%) [992]; Burning Attack (Energy Blast) 4d×10 (Cosmic: Irresistible Attack, +300%; Guided, +50%; Increased 1/2D Range (×10), +15%; Increased Range (×100), +60%; Power Cosmic (Tier 5), +0%) [1,050]; Control All Matter 60 (Collective, +100%; Extended Duration (Permanent), +300%; Persistent, +40%; Super-Effort, +400%; Power Cosmic (Tier 5), +0%) [16,920]; Crushing Attack (Energy Blast) 4d×10 (Cosmic: Irresistible Attack, +300%; Guided, +50%; Increased 1/2D Range (×10), +15%; Increased Range (×100), +60%; Power Cosmic (Tier 5), +0%; Alternative Attack, ×1/5) [210]; Elder of the Universe [400]; Enhanced Time Sense (Power Cosmic (Tier 5), +0%) [45]; Flight (Slow (Basic Speed), -25%; Space Flight, +50%; Power Cosmic (Tier 5), +0%) [50]; Gamecrafter 6 [30]; Intuitive Mathematician [5]; Jumper (World) (Can Carry Objects: Light Encumbrance, +10%; Reliable +10, +50%; Power Cosmic (Tier 5), +0%) [160]; Merchant Rank 4 [20]; Regeneration (Heals Radiation, +40%; Power Cosmic (Tier 5), +0%) [35]; Regrowth (Power Cosmic (Tier 5), +0%) [40]; Ultrapower (Power Cosmic (Tier 5), +0%) [50]; Wealth (Multimillionaire 4) [150]; Xeno-Omnilingual [80].
Perks: Controllable Disadvantage (Callous) [1]; Rules Exemption (Talents Can Exceed Four Levels) [1].
Disadvantages: Compulsive Gambling (6) [-10]; Oblivious [-5]; Obsession (Playing Games) (6) [0*]; Selfish (12) [-5]; Xenophilia (9) [-15].
Quirks: Habitual Cheater [-1]; Must See The Game Through To Conclusion [-1]; No Sex Drive [-1]; Rules-Lawyer [-1].
Skills: Body Language (Humanoid) (A) Per+2 [8] – 18; Connoisseur (Games) (A) IQ+14 [32] – 30†; Current Events/TL12 (Sports) (E) IQ+10 [12] – 26†; Detect Lies (H) Per+0 [4] – 16‡; Expert Skill (Game Design) (H) IQ+9 [16] – 25†; Gambling (A) IQ+14 [32] – 30†; Games (A) IQ+14 [32] – 30†; Innate Attack (Beam) (E) DX+9 [32] – 20; Mathematics/TL12 (Statistics) (H) IQ+9 [16] – 25†; Observation (A) Per+4 [16] – 20; Professional Skill (Game Designer) (A) IQ+9 [12] – 25†; Public Speaking (A) IQ+0 [2] – 16; Research/TL12 (A) IQ+2 [8] – 18.
Starting Spending Money: $4,000,000,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Included in the Elder of the Universe racial package; each Elder has a different Obsession.
† Includes +6 from Gamecrafter.
‡ Defaulted from Body Language.

Role-Playing Notes:
The Grandmaster is one of those characters who is best used sparingly and as an NPC, either as a Patron or Enemy for a campaign arc, depending on whether he or his opponent is using the PCs as pawns in a game. He will cheat when he can get away with it to give himself as big an advantage as possible, justifying it as "cheating is part of the game", but his obsession with the games is such that he will always see a game through to conclusion, even if it's become clear that he is losing.

Design Notes:
1. The Grandmaster's racial High TL (from the Elder of the Universe racial package) and Starting Wealth are calculated for a TL8 campaign, as would be encountered on Earth. In a more cosmic campaign, the native TL would be TL 11; as such, he would lose three out of four levels of his High TL trait, lowering his point value by 15 points, and his Starting Spending Money will increase from $4 billion to $15 billion.
2. The Grandmaster is one of the few characters in this document which breaks my self-imposed "No House-Rules" rule. In this case, it was applying my "Condensed Specialties" rule, reverse-engineered from the Optional Specialties rule in the Basic Set, to the Games skill. In short, a skill with a lot of specialties can condense all (or most) of them into a single skill with no specialties by raising the skill difficulty by one; in the case of Games, it boosted it from a multiple-specialty IQ/Easy skill to a single IQ/Average skill.

I gave up trying to stat the stuff he gets from using the Time Gem....

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:28 PM   #1432
Drakyrias

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Character Requests: Mr. Sinister, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Rocket Raccoon, Groot, Venom (And Carnage), Blade.
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:16 PM   #1433
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakyrias View Post
Character Requests: Mr. Sinister, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Rocket Raccoon, Groot, Venom (And Carnage), Blade.
For this Reboot project, I'll possibly one day end up doing Rocket and Groot, and maybe one day Blade (though I doubt I'll get to any of them before 2020 at this rate). The others are not really Year One characters; I really don't have a place for them in the project as yet. (I'm pretty sure someone else has a Nightcrawler and/or Blade write-ups in other threads, though my search-fu is rather weak right now....)

However, I might be able to work something out to help you. The only one I really can't stat without making serious judgment calls, though, is Sinister.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:34 PM   #1434
Drakyrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
For this Reboot project, I'll possibly one day end up doing Rocket and Groot, and maybe one day Blade (though I doubt I'll get to any of them before 2020 at this rate). The others are not really Year One characters; I really don't have a place for them in the project as yet. (I'm pretty sure someone else has a Nightcrawler and/or Blade write-ups in other threads, though my search-fu is rather weak right now....)

However, I might be able to work something out to help you. The only one I really can't stat without making serious judgment calls, though, is Sinister.
Sinister is one of my favorite villains but he certainly is difficult to stat.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #1435
smurf
Banned

Just recapped the 145 pages.

Is there She Hulk/Red She Hulk/ Savage She Hulk (Lyra) plus Jazinda the Skrull.

Do you have a rule of thumb for combat skills that can take down x mooks. X-23 and Logan go through so many high powered mooks.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #1436
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
Do you have a rule of thumb for combat skills that can take down x mooks. X-23 and Logan go through so many high powered mooks.
In my humble opinion, the Wolverines have good fighting skills on top of impaling/slashing claws with 10 armor divisor. Logan tends to pull his punches, but Laura has been shown to regularly target extremities: arms, legs, head (usually brain). Absent story reasons or the Wolverines trying not to kill, they can take down rooms of fully-powered enemies, not just tough mooks. Better examples of multi-mook takeouts by fighting might be Spiderman (a jump, kick/kick/punch/punch), Nightcrawler (multi-port and attack or three rapiers), or Jamie Madrox (Duplication and attack; straightforward).
Except for Madrox you’d need levels of extra attacks.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #1437
gibberingmouther

Quote:

i was thinking Goku would be a high powered mutant if he was in the Marvel universe. you could use my homebrew to stat him - with a power level of 105, he'd be very tough, but still within mutant power ranges. he would be great in a fight, able to take out several mooks at once even in his base non-super saiyan form, due to getting multiple attacks and move actions (up to 5 actions) in a turn. it's like a weaker version of altered time rate, since he takes a penalty to accuracy when taking multiple attacks.

anyway, any world could use more Goku. he's a great character in any universe. he could have traveled to the Marvel universe using alien or Capsule Corp super science. really now i've mostly finished my homebrew i'm seeing all the potential for it in different GURPS games!
Old 01-08-2018, 10:38 PM   #1438
Phantasm

Quote:
Just recapped the 145 pages.

Is there She Hulk/Red She Hulk/ Savage She Hulk (Lyra) plus Jazinda the Skrull.

No She-Hulk yet, though I would probably use Jennifer Walters!She-Hulk; she's not really a Year One type character, though, given Shulkie acquiring her powers via a blood transfusion from Bruce. If you look up "Harpy", though, you'll see my plans for Betty Ross (who later became the Red She-Hulk in mainstream Marvel; I always liked her original mutated form as the Harpy, though).

As for the combat, I figure that a combat skill of 14 is sufficient for taking on mooks such as the average inner city gang member, Hellfire Club mercenary, or HYDRA goon. Note, too, that the cinematic "Cannon Fodder" rules are often in effect as a setting switch; one hit drops the average unnamed mook regardless of HP (and often regardless of DR). A skill of 14 with the mooks never defending (nor All-Out Attacking!) hits the mooks about 80% of the time, I think. Most of the dedicated combat monsters (such as Wolverine, Captain America, Iron Fist, Daredevil, etc.) have their primary combat skills in the 18-25 range anyway, so they're hitting 98% of the time.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #1439
Drakyrias

Reading through the entries I noticed Sauron doesn't possess the dependency of absorbing living energy, or the ability to absorb other mutants powers that his wiki says he possesses?

And apparently the ability to breathe fire? Though no clue why or where he had that.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #1440
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakyrias View Post
Reading through the entries I noticed Sauron doesn't possess the dependency of absorbing living energy, or the ability to absorb other mutants powers that his wiki says he possesses?

And apparently the ability to breathe fire? Though no clue why or where he had that.
I don't recall his fire breath ability, either. o.O

Also, note the difference in origins between mainstream!Sauron and my Reboot!Sauron. With the change in origins, the Dependency became less of a plot issue so I decided to drop it. Reboot!Sauron was altered by Apocalypse (hidden behind fnord tags), rather than being bit by a were-pterodactyl.

Last edited by Phantasm; 01-09-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men