Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #41
Gigermann

Default Re: Cinematic House-Rules - Post them if you got 'em!

I have an alternative "cinematics" system I developed, using "action" cards, but never really tested, here.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #42
Sense of Duty (Kittens)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
That's a little too specific for me :-(.
It's not for everyone, but it is supposed to accentuate the idea of each team member having a unique role on a team.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #43
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Just use the rules in Basic for spending CPs on Influencing Success Rolls, then.
As I stated earlier in the thread, I already do, just with a separate point pool called Victory Points.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #44
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense of Duty (Kittens) View Post
It's not for everyone, but it is supposed to accentuate the idea of each team member having a unique role on a team.
If you wanted to more closely represent the "class" based way of RPG thinking, I suppose it would work.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #45
Maz

Quote:
If you wanted to more closely represent the "class" based way of RPG thinking, I suppose it would work.
Niché protections seems to me to be pretty dominant in cinematic stories. It confuses the audience if a character has multiple roles (unless he is the only one). So usually there is a clear "strong man" a clear "medic" a clear "techie" and so on. So yea a "class system" actually, IMO, makes a lot of sense for cinematic actionpacked gaming. Often it takes the route of Alien Versus Predator where each have a unique role and as soon as that role is furfilled they are killed off.
If the plane crashes, the pilot dies. If they lose the radio, the radioman dies. If they don't need to speak to the locals anymore the translator dies... and so on.

For more gaming reasons, see GURPS:DF... Kromm has a few notes on why it is sometimes a good thing.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #46
Ragitsu
Banned

Good point, Maz. I guess i'm just used to the omniman way of playing :-).

For instance, I don't necessarily picture a medically inclined character to say "I'm a doctor, not a (insert other profession here".
Old 11-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #47
Ragitsu
Banned

High Manual Dexterity now adds a bonus to all Fast-Draw (Ammo) rolls when dealing with all internally loaded firearms, such as revolvers, shotguns and bolt-action rifles.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:21 PM   #48
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
High Manual Dexterity now adds a bonus to all Fast-Draw (Ammo) rolls when dealing with all internally loaded firearms, such as revolvers, shotguns and bolt-action rifles.
That's a good reminder, though given the description of HMD, I'm pretty sure it's RAW.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #49
Ragitsu
Banned

Going back to read the Advantage now, I noticed:

Quote:
nor does it apply to combat related die rolls of any kind.
Making this more of house rule than I thought.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:05 AM   #50
Lyzzy

I allow my players to see what the opposition is up to in this round of combat, if they have higher initiative then they do. This only applies to people they can see and then only one or two guys for that round. Evaluating the enemies entire strategy and communicating this to teammates would be a full-round-action.Also, players who have critical successes go over and beyond what they tried to archive and may specify some additional details free of charge. Eg: A hacker who tried to break into an user account may find the root-password or discover a real ingenious "untraceable" way to break in, as she chooses. Also, in a clash rules vs reality, reality wins. If a player insists that the P99 has only 15+1 shoots and can show me that it has never been different on the manufacturers website, then 15 shoots he gets. The opposition uses the old model, however. This part is especially handy in a game full of nerds (like my group) whose immersion would otherwise be ruined.As a last measure I also allow a hand-of-god-invocation like in Shadowrun:
When there is no other way to save a character and his demise was not 100% positively garanteed (jumping in a pool of hot lava), I would take the player out of the room and make her an one-time-offer: The character lives, but gets 15pts disadvantages fitting the near-fatal-experience, looses all unspent cp and is incapacitated (to recover on a warm, safe place). How do you guys handle real-bad-luck-can't-fudge-the-dice-any-further-character deaths?
Lyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cinematic, house rules, houserules, unrealistic